It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do we want to attract new players to MOOS?
Poll ended at Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:48 pm
Do you want MOOS to attract new players? 66%  66%  [ 60 ]
You do NOT want to attract new players? 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Do you NOT care either way? 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
Only matters if MOOS is not cheap to run? 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 91
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

There are enough dedicated people already, that the project is worth doing.

So, I don't care either way. New players are great, I like meeting new people, and the kind of people who are interested in a slow-gratification game like MO:UL are almost always the kind of people who are mature enough to not annoy me much, even if we don't become friends.

But MO:UL would be worth bringing back even if not one new person got on board. I agree with the people who've said that being free from the need to get new players is the best thing that could have happened to us.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 pm 

It doesn't really matter to me if we attract new players or bring back oldies.
I plan to run a server either way :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 am 

Thank you for your responses. But why compare the experience you hope others enjoy to your own preferences?

One thing. Second Life. I dislike Second Life, and I've tried it many times over the years. But its structure is smooth and commercial and it works, especially for vanilla noobs. I am a loner when I play, and I appreciate the ability to make my own choices, mistakes, and discoveries without being hand-fed someone else's vision of fun. Plus, many resources are right there when you need them. I think how Second Life handles new players is excellent and worthy of study. The creators of Second Life gave the power of choice to the noob, not to themselves. Good lesson.

I'm just a regular explorer giving you my take on your talk, which you need. All I know is that without our core resource, the open source data, we have nothing to talk about, except how to draw the community together into a creative unit. I don't see much of that happening. Especially since "all" of the community isn't present--they are on other far-flung sites and forums. Who knows what their plans are.

Anyway, maybe I'm the "Joe the Plumber" here that everyone tries to discredit for speaking into the prevailing wind, but the elemental truth of our situation has yet to be discovered and embraced.

I guess mostly I'm speaking out because I'm in denial about letting this game go. I've truly loved it for 6-7 years of my life. Cyan, too, was a group to draw to your heart. You folks are not. I don't feel the spirit or the vision. Just my opinion. I hope your product proves me wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Romer Openfield wrote:
Cyan, too, was a group to draw to your heart. You folks are not. I don't feel the spirit or the vision.

Companies tend to keep the politics in the office and off the forums. Small groups tend to attract like-minded people in common purpose. Public forums are antithetical to all that. So while statistics take over in public spaces like this, you should see small groups, just like companies, break out and give you the vision and spirit you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:15 am 

When I saw Romer's post yesterday I felt compelled to point out it was post # 1337 ... :lol:

Yeah, I'm really not seeing the substance of the "draw to your heart" issue. There definitely are some people who get outside their heads now and then (liek mee) but for the most part the MOUL / MOOS / OSMO community is highly dedicated and motivated towards bringing to life what is still a whole new form of gaming, and our collective quirks are more pleasant than inhibiting.

The bottom line here, back to the original idea of the topic, is that OS MOUL will work fine in whatever configuration you wish for your own community. If you want to run your own private server and hook up to it with a client on your machine for that private feeling, nobody's stopping you. I imagine that, if that's possible, I could do that myself now and then - especially depending on the particulars of monthly fees / etc. Yet there's also no replacement for meeting new people on a regular basis, or even just drawing back in some of the cool people who were around in the days of legend (Prologue / UU / GT Live Beta, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:15 pm 

Romer Openfield wrote:
I'm just a regular explorer giving you my take on your talk, which you need. All I know is that without our core resource, the open source data, we have nothing to talk about, except how to draw the community together into a creative unit. I don't see much of that happening. Especially since "all" of the community isn't present--they are on other far-flung sites and forums. Who knows what their plans are.

Anyway, maybe I'm the "Joe the Plumber" here that everyone tries to discredit for speaking into the prevailing wind, but the elemental truth of our situation has yet to be discovered and embraced.

I guess mostly I'm speaking out because I'm in denial about letting this game go. I've truly loved it for 6-7 years of my life. Cyan, too, was a group to draw to your heart. You folks are not. I don't feel the spirit or the vision. Just my opinion. I hope your product proves me wrong.

What are you talking about? Who are you talking to? This forum alone has twelve thousand members, of whom about a hundred post regularly, of whom less than thirty posted in this thread. People post in various forums, yes. I am sure they all love it as much as you do. You say your product? This game is still Cyan's product. I can't seem to get what your rant is all about. How on earth can you even talk about prevailing wind and spirit of the vision when only thirty people are spitting in the wind?

And another thing.

Romer Openfield wrote:
You are exhibiting a disturbing megalomaniacal, egoistic, antisocial, and lazy side of yourselves.

That is just downright insulting. As if such remarks are going to attract new players. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:31 am 

Paradise wrote:
Romer Openfield wrote:

What are you talking about? Who are you talking to? This forum alone has twelve thousand members, of whom about a hundred post regularly, of whom less than thirty posted in this thread. People post in various forums, yes. I am sure they all love it as much as you do. You say your product? This game is still Cyan's product. I can't seem to get what your rant is all about. How on earth can you even talk about prevailing wind and spirit of the vision when only thirty people are spitting in the wind?

And another thing.

Romer Openfield wrote:
You are exhibiting a disturbing megalomaniacal, egoistic, antisocial, and lazy side of yourselves.

That is just downright insulting. As if such remarks are going to attract new players. :roll:

Thanks, Paradise. I meant to insult. At this point, we're not trying to attract new players because we have no game, just arrogant wannabe leaders of the thousands you claim are there (four or five names are mine). I'm trying to wake you folks up. Yeah, there are many, many more lurkers on this forum than posters. Some are laughing and I hope none are leaving.

JW, thanks for your concise analysis. I don't agree, but I hope you're right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm 

Yeah, but just as you say Romer there are lurkers. THEY are the future people. It's not like we can turn on the "get a stream of new people" switch and then show our smiles. :P

Plus, there's no excuse for saying mean things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

One needs to be introspective and accept some criticism before disregarding as mean or untrue how others might feel when viewing the direction a community takes in threads like this one. Welcome and contrite improvement from observations delivered by simple messengers might be in order even if one was not involved in any specific bad examples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 pm 

Build it and they will come.

Reopen it and they will Return.

:)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 pm 

one point.....

Quote:
MOUL’s entry point was off the story line. Many would like to see a return to the Zandi greeting. If we use the Zandi greeting, we have new players isolated from other in-game-players until they have solved the Cleft. Those playing in other MMO/MMVW’s believe that is a disastrous first impression. Players coming from other MMVW’s seeing no one around will likely decide it is an unpopular game and likely leave. Plus having help available (greeters) is an important part of MMVW’s now.

Yes totally agree re greeters, but the start in the cleft is NOT a problem in my humble opinion, this is a very different game from most other MPOWs and i dont think that is a problem at all, i have played most of the current and past MMO's and found URU does fine in comparison to them in terms of entry. I do hope we can continue the ResEng oriientation in at least ONE semi official totally canon shard as a designated entry point, and then ppl can learn of the way to move to other shards ..this will extend MOUL into new content areas and alllow new players to have the full immersion experince while they are learning of the D'ni world and the past history. I think the Guild of Greeters will be essential in that shard as well.

the best way to get more players will be for the game to flourish and be strong in itself. I think us having fun in there and enjoying it will be the very best marketing possible and the net is quite transparent to determined posting and sharing across it, so i really think we will do fine in that area.

sorry about the double post, forgot about my previous one. and i agree with JW and others, civility and courtesy is essential to our sharing. Sorry about that other post getting bogged down in conflict. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5