It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I never know what people mean when they talk about "Cyan". Rand Miller, one of the founders of Cyan? He's still there. Mark DeForest (Chogon), the community manager and CTO? Tony Fryman, the business person? Cyan has a tiny development staff now. Almost all the people who worked on the Myst series games are gone. As far as I can tell, the people who did the work we all love aren't there anymore. We read that.

Experienced developers aren't going to move to Spokane (not a game development hub) unless "Cyan" can offer good jobs and at least a little level of job security. All those experienced game artists and developers are working for other companies, assuming they are still in the business. I assume (don't know for sure, of course) that most of them have left Spokane, which is the location of Cyan's headquarters.

Perhaps you mean - one day you hope Rand Miller will build a development team again, and the team will work on either the continuation of Uru, or other big games. Is that what you mean? Perhaps the company willl also figure out how to do it in a way where people won't have to move to Spokane. Trying to think positively here - perhaps you could get experienced people contracting, if they don't have to move. Maybe if the economy got better, you could even get them to move if you could show them you had funding, and they had some assurance that there would be a published title at the end. Heck, I don't know.

I am curious - when you say "Cyan" - what do you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:18 pm 

I mean a 2003 size-cyan.

I don't know when it'll happen. I don't even know if it will happen- and there are 90% it won't.

But there's still a little hope, I guess. I just try not to analyse it too much. You can only guess what will come, but can never know for sure.

I hoped that the open source uru (and I know that what I say will anger lots of people) will be some kind of a "preparation" for a real version of uru, with quality content and story from cyan worlds, and lots of fan involvment.

That's a bg dream, I always knew that. But now, with the new info, it's seems more impossible.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone wish....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:29 pm 

abelc wrote:
Does anyone here wish that (I know that Cyan can't support it at the moment) Uru were going to be Cyan created instead of fan run? I know I do... :(

In short, no. I'd like to see Cyan move towards other projects. Also, without the proper staff, I think Uru is likely doomed to repeat its failures. If Cyan were able to do work on Uru, I'd rather they put their content out with the fan-made stuff as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:14 pm 

Zardoz wrote:
I don't. That is, I don't wish Uru was Cyan-created instead of fan-created - I wish it was both. And if Cyan-created means we get even more Bahro bogeymen and DRC office politics, I'll take fan-created over Cyan-created, at least as far as the storyline is concerned.
But you gotta' think of the people who are like, totally Computer illiterate. I'm not, but I don't know how to design graphics or anything hardcore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:16 pm 

I just wish that Cyan had enough money to make it Cyan created. I mean, since its gonna be fan created at this time, everyone is going to have their own ideas/story. That's what sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, you never know. Sometimes wonderful things happen, something you don't expect.

I thought one of my favorite companies, Palm, was, to use a colloquial term, "dead in the water". Miracle of miracles, their new device that is coming out, the Palm Pre, is getting rave reviews. The Pre (a smartphone) was a big hit at CES - the international Consumer Electronics Show. The info is at all the tech sites. I may even go back to Palm for my next smartphone, something I thought I'd never say.

Now, of course this is different. Palm never ran out of money - they got more funding at the right time. Elevation Partners now owns 25% of Palm. To give them credit, Palm always had a plan, going forward (abysmally slow to implement I might add), and they also managed to keep a technical staff. Their new management seems to be doing quite well, in terms of steering Palm's success.

So yeah, not like Cyan, too much, but one can hope for, though not exactly expect, wonderful things. Sometimes the unexpected happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:32 pm 

@abelc

Buck up "everyone is going to have their own ideas/story" is no where near as bad as "Everyone is going to do their own ideas and stories". The shard owners will be like that last question on a test worth 90% of the score that makes all the rest of the questions pretty pointless. Role Players will ham it up, Age creators will be rushing to convert stuff, but a large chunk of stories and ideas will depend on the Shard Owners choosing to implement them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

No. Not "instead of." I think, in the long run, fan created content (or licensed-out content creation or whatever) was the only way this virtual world could keep growing and changing over the long haul. This is not the journey that was planned, but it's more or less in the intended direction, or at least aimed roughly at the intended destination. Personally, I welcome this opportunity and the possibility of far more creative input and talent than any company could afford to buy.

And I see absolutely no reason why Rand Miller and cyan would be prevented from presenting new content in the future or making money off that content. Or giving advisory and creative input. There are all kinds of ways this could work.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 am 

abelc wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
I don't. That is, I don't wish Uru was Cyan-created instead of fan-created - I wish it was both. And if Cyan-created means we get even more Bahro bogeymen and DRC office politics, I'll take fan-created over Cyan-created, at least as far as the storyline is concerned.
But you gotta' think of the people who are like, totally Computer illiterate. I'm not, but I don't know how to design graphics or anything hardcore...

I think that's what's good about Open Uru. No one should feel left out. If you can't do stuff on the computer, it doesn't matter. You can still enjoy the Ages. Also "computer illiterate" is not exactly true in this case as, regardless of who makes Uru, a user must be computer literate enough to turn it on, run a browser, download and install files from the internets (interwebs, innertubes, what have you), and navigate in a 3-d world.

abelc wrote:
I just wish that Cyan had enough money to make it Cyan created. I mean, since its gonna be fan created at this time, everyone is going to have their own ideas/story. That's what sucks.

Okay why does this suck? Why is the opportunity to have everyone tell their story, make their own ages, etc. a bad thing? I say let everyone and their dog have an idea and let the good/entertaining stuff get sorted out by the community on each shard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:56 am 

I agree, Whil.

What do I see? I see that most of you are clinging to URU orthodoxy, which is certainly a beautiful thing, but limited like the covers of a book.

Some will try to recreate what was. Some will create reflections of what they believe could be. Others will take the clay and remold new stories in different directions, visions from fresh minds and new love of the game. I want to see it all growing and evolving. I also find all these musings hugely entertaining and hopeful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:36 am 

Quote:
Okay why does this suck? Why is the opportunity to have everyone tell their story, make their own ages, etc. a bad thing? I say let everyone and their dog have an idea and let the good/entertaining stuff get sorted out by the community on each shard.
I don't know, I guess I just like the original things. IE: Cyan creating the entire storyline. this is just my opinion though.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 am 

a grandiose opinion at that .

how about if we have food coloring handed out to all the developers?

truly, it is quite possible some of the "Fans" that you do not wish to have individual ideas may have worked for Cyan at one time or another. it is possible as well some of these "fans" could well become part of Cyan in the future, should Cyan once again become a company able to employ masses of creative types.

an Orwellian Uru cannot survive .......... thank goodness.

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:49 pm 

The stranger wrote:
I just hoped to see, maybe, one day (not many chances but there's hope) a real version of uru. But the real uru. Not "second life uru- the cyan worlds addition". But once cyan worlds open source it- it appears there's no reason for them to return and develop. They will get no money, because people have free shards, and now I know that they can't even take a monthly fee from other servers.

It's just a shame to see cyan worlds completely out of the frame, with no true reason to return.

Don't get e wrong though. I'm really looking forward for the open source uru. But I hoped there's a chance for a cyan worlds uru again...
I agree. Although, the closer (I "Feel") Uru gets, the more excited I get, even though in other forums, I have said that I wish that someday there will be a Cyan UrU. I mean, I still do wish that, but I'm looking forward A LOT, to Open Source Myst Online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:49 pm 

The stranger wrote:
I just hoped to see, maybe, one day (not many chances but there's hope) a real version of uru. But the real uru. Not "second life uru- the cyan worlds addition". But once cyan worlds open source it- it appears there's no reason for them to return and develop. They will get no money, because people have free shards, and now I know that they can't even take a monthly fee from other servers.

It's just a shame to see cyan worlds completely out of the frame, with no true reason to return.

Don't get e wrong though. I'm really looking forward for the open source uru. But I hoped there's a chance for a cyan worlds uru again...
I agree. Although, the closer (I "Feel") Uru gets, the more excited I get, even though in other forums, I have said that I wish that someday there will be a Cyan UrU. I mean, I still do wish that, but I'm looking forward A LOT, to Open Source Myst Online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:55 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Quote:
And, no, the way that open source works, they will not be able to charge people on shards not owned/run by them.

So there's no reason for cyan to return ever?

Not necessarily the case. It's become clear now that Cyan will not be releasing all its art assets (ages, etc) under an open license. This means that they might very well have the power to charge for the use of that art. For example, a fee you have to pay in order to be authorized to connect to their data server, sorta like the fee to play UntilURU. They could continue to publish and update "official Cyan" content on their data server, while the fan community runs the actual game servers.

(KI #266567).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next