It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 pm 

Kenguin makes the basic point Cyan may do anything. They have not yet handed us the open source license. All they have told us so far is that code will be one license and the Cyan content another. Remember. They do not have to use an existing open source license as is. They can modify it. Open Source is not a legal specification controlled by a standards organization. There are some well written general licenses out there that many people use rather than write their own. Still, open source is more of a fluid idea about how to do things.

The Content license may exclude the use of other platforms, say Open Simulator, or it may not. It might require a license fee or a Cyan approval or ... or ... or ...

I expect we will see the code and code license and some time after see the Content License. I think most of the pending questions will not be answered until we see the Content License.

Even the download of Content remains a bit ambitious. Whether Cyan will allow a single download to each server which then distributes copies to players OR every server has to draw an age from Cyan every time it needs a copy to give a player OR sends the player to Cyan to download seems unclear. The first seems less costly to Cyan.

I do wish Cyan (in whatever incarnation) was creating content. I am very glad fans have a chance to create content, storyline and run servers. Even if Cyan creates new content, I would like to see to see fan content continue. I would like to see what fans do in games IC and and out of game IC and OOC affect storyline. I think that was the original intent.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:53 am 

Let's also not forget a very important factor:

Uru in Open Source means that Uru is never going away again.

Let me repeat that:

Uru is never going away again!

Whatever you might think about the current situation, with the game's shaky history, this has got to be worth a lot, don't you think? Once the code is released, in one form or another, there will always be a Cavern to go to, with relatively little risk of the game disappearing altogether. That will certainly be an improvement over ALL past situations.

Sorry if this has been said before, but I thought it bared repeating here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 pm 

Nalates wrote:
Even the download of Content remains a bit ambitious. Whether Cyan will allow a single download to each server which then distributes copies to players OR every server has to draw an age from Cyan every time it needs a copy to give a player OR sends the player to Cyan to download seems unclear. The first seems less costly to Cyan.

Anything that Uru has ever had called a "dataserver" sends stuff right to the user. I am tending to think that this is what Chogon means about "running a dataserver". He also said that the idea of using bit-torrent (or something similar) was a good idea. I think they are probably currently working out if they have enough money (or how they could get enough) to run a normal "dataserver" or if they should use other distribution solutions.

They seem like they really want to handle the distribution of their content (because that's the stuff that's worth the most... it's won awards 'n stuff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:26 pm 

subumbra wrote:
Let's also not forget a very important factor:

Uru in Open Source means that Uru is never going away again.

Let me repeat that:

Uru is never going away again!

Whatever you might think about the current situation, with the game's shaky history, this has got to be worth a lot, don't you think? Once the code is released, in one form or another, there will always be a Cavern to go to, with relatively little risk of the game disappearing altogether. That will certainly be an improvement over ALL past situations.

Sorry if this has been said before, but I thought it bared repeating here.

Oh, it's still possible, but it is much more difficult to do so. It pretty much has to be made so bad that NO one wants to start a server. Personally, I think that's next to impossible, or that it will take so long to come about that it doesn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:54 pm 

Nara is the strongest, most enduring substance known to the Dn’i. What is more important is that nara is created out of the rock found beneath New Mexico. If we mere surface-dwelling humans had access to the right technology, and had the knowledge to properly use it, then we could create nara for ourselves.

We will create nara URU… and it will endure.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone wish....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm 

abelc wrote:
Does anyone here wish that (I know that Cyan can't support it at the moment) Uru were going to be Cyan created instead of fan run? I know I do... :(

Yes and No

*points to signature* that's what I want ;)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am 

stealth in J'Rahm Age wrote:
If we mere surface-dwelling humans had access to the right technology, and had the knowledge to properly use it, then we could create nara for ourselves.

What, you didn't find the fusion-compounder behind the Guild Hall curtain? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:11 pm 

Don't forget that with Uru having a huge developer base it may be possible to fine-tune the Plasma engine so that it's easier and faster for everyone to create content, including Cyan. Maybe they will be able to make and sell "journey packs" some time down the road again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:28 pm 

Tesseract wrote:
Quote:
What, you didn't find the fusion-compounder behind the Guild Hall curtain?

I clearly intended my comments to be an IC metaphor for open-source which none of us have yet.

So no I didn't find the compounder. The DRC did too good a job keeping such things hidden from us. Rand Miller (you know that guy whose company did those games), he promised to give away as much Dn’i tech as he has control over - for free. Sweet deal if he actually comes through with it. The cynical part of me says he just doing a bait-and-switch. With the mostly empty parking lot at headquarters and Mysterium being in Spokane this summer; He is going to be selling us used cars. I just know it.

Who am I kidding, a car with a Cyan logo on it, sold to me by Rand himself; I'd jump at the chance to buy one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3