It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Congratulations Cyan!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:25 am 

Going open source with this game is the greatest idea in the history of online gaming and social interaction. This precedent setting move will evolve the idea of 'MMORPG' to new heights. The future of online social interaction will be given to the public for free due to the grit and ingenuity of Cyan. Kudos!

Utopia for a monthly fee. Cyan deserves the money, but it went against the lore. The irony is everything is working out as was said in the lore.

Sovereignty has come to D'ni as was intended by Cyan. D'ni will be ours now. We will flock and gather. The spirit of a free and moneyless society will evolve and grow. The guilds will be created, and they will grow. And they will govern according to the history and laws written in the lore. Only if we choose to uphold them. The choices people and guilds will make will be affected by these laws and lore. Precedents will be set. War and diplomacy will be constant. The games will be played for rights that will be won and lost.The future history will truly be written by the core gamers and servers. A truly new online society will be created. A free to play society we can all be a part of without paying. A society where grinding and currency gathering is no longer the focus. Just pure exploration and 'social interaction evolution'.

Can we police ourselves without Cyan on the scene? Will our time in the cavern turn into disaster and destruction? Or will the cavern flourish? It is up to us now.

I use the word society because that exactly what the game is based on. An ancient society. The basic internet user will 'flock' to the cavern without hesitation. And those visitors with the skill to write ages will do so.

The templates for the basic D'ni guilds have been put into place, all they need is leadership. There is also the choice to go on Yeesha's journey. The laws and societal standards are in place for us to follow and evolve.

Now that it will be public, Cyan's dream can finally be realized. The possibilities are endless. I believe this is the future of online social interaction. With enough effort from all the fans, this free 'Online Society' can set a precedent for future MMORPG's. It's seems outrageous now, but the fact it is free will fuel creative minds and programmers the world over.

As the good and bad get filtered throughout the next few years, the end product will truly have a life of it's own.

Cyan = true internet pioneers.

Thank you Cyan. You will not regret this decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

A nonviolent, nonmonetized, open sourced MMOG based on exploration, puzzle solving, and community.

Truly revolutionary, Cyan.

Now their burden is ours.

Post subject: Congratulations!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 pm 

First.. Hello to you all.

I've been following Uru Live's progression on and off over the past few years. I bought the retail version of Uru Live, and I was one of the first few players to "Beta Test" the Online version. I loved it back then and I was really bummed to find out that in the long run it had a lot of kinks to work out in order to make happen. After a while, I saw that there was a release of the server files, I think this was Until Uru (though I recall seeing something called "Plasma"?), I don't really remember to be honest. I had a lot of fun running my own "shard" at the time, however it bothered me that what I was using would never be updated (there were some major glitches at the time).

Later on, I did eventually checkout the version of Uru Live that GameTap was hosting, and I was very thrilled to find out that there were some new content updates. However, the launcher and what not that came along side with the GameTap service bothered me (no offense to GameTap) so I ended up canceling my agreement with them. Also, while I know Myst Online does have a fan base, the servers that GameTap were running did feel kind of empty most of the time (and I still noticed older glitches that were never fixed).

With all that being said, I'm thrilled to see that Cyan has decided to release Myst Online as an open source project. I'm looking forward to playing through the existing content again, and expanding upon it with my own content and bug fixes. I mostly wanted to introduce myself to you all, and let you know I'm still lurking around the community. I personally believe open sourcing the project is the best route for the current community. The lore and the game concepts are so wonderful, I would hate to see it be tossed aside simply due to lack of funding around it.

Thank you Cyan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome on the forums, eggy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome, eggy! Or rather, welcome back!

Alas, it sounds like you didn't find the GameTap version till after the switch to "episodes."

There were lots of pros and cons to the episode concept, but I think now everyone will agree that they killed a lot of the social interaction. Before episodes, there was a steady flow of people all the time, just in case something new was coming up. It led to some grumbling "there's nothing NEW!", but people were THERE.

Once the episodes started, it became a case of extreme crowding for 5-6 days, followed by echoing emptiness for a month, till the next episode started and the crowd rushed back for the new content.

The social life of the cavern more or less died about then, I think many would agree. It made me very sad. I'm glad we won't be tied down to episodes, moving forward.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:01 pm 

Now that I recall, I did checkout the GameTap service around the release of a new episode (I don't recall which specifically). I found it utterly impossible to see the new content because of the crowds, but I did eventually get to play something.

Now here's something I'm wondering.. Will we need the original content from the retail CD at some point? Is this all now completely free to anybody new (as the original is long past its prime)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

eggy wrote:
Now that I recall, I did checkout the GameTap service around the release of a new episode (I don't recall which specifically). I found it utterly impossible to see the new content because of the crowds, but I did eventually get to play something.

Now here's something I'm wondering.. Will we need the original content from the retail CD at some point? Is this all now completely free to anybody new (as the original is long past its prime)?

The retail CDs are not the same as the new Myst Online. They will not be necessary, or particularly useful. Everything but the art content was completely redone for the new MO:UL incarnation, and nothing on the storebought Uru CDs is compatible.

The rest of the details are being hashed out throughout lots of other threads, in so far as we know the details. Lots of reading to do! Of particular interest is the "Developers" button at the top of this page, it may answer some of your questions, or at least tell you which questions really need answers. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:58 pm 

vidroth wrote:
<snip>
The retail CDs are not the same as the new Myst Online. They will not be necessary, or particularly useful. Everything but the art content was completely redone for the new MO:UL incarnation, and nothing on the storebought Uru CDs is compatible.

The rest of the details are being hashed out throughout lots of other threads, in so far as we know the details. Lots of reading to do! Of particular interest is the "Developers" button at the top of this page, it may answer some of your questions, or at least tell you which questions really need answers. :)

Yeah, I've been reading over the various threads, got a lot of my questions answered. Still have a few on my mind, however I don't think there is any solid answers until we hear from Cyan again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:02 pm 

Agreed, we await Cyan's decisions on most aspects of this, the discussion is great to see and very creative but Cyan has the final word and rightfully so, and it will remain so, for which I am very grateful.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm 

we will see what comes...it will be interesting i am sure.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm 

Quote:
so it is shared source and that is a huge relief for the content is fragile and the story precious and should be protected from being used too wildly

Cyan clearly stated that Myst Online is going to be released under an open source licence, and not under a Microsoft Shared Source one. I am fully aware that releasing it as open source will give everyone a lot of freedom, including the freedom to make changes that will be highly controversial. However, removing freedom implies adding restrictions which could be harmful even for changes that would be considered useful by many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer, that's your third post I saw with the shared source talk...please before you say things with such authority, check to make sure what you are saying is true.
These are confusing enough times without people saying things they really don't know about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:13 pm 

Neereus wrote:
CrisGer, that's your third post I saw with the shared source talk...please before you say things with such authority, check to make sure what you are saying is true.
These are confusing enough times without people saying things they really don't know about...

Agreed Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:27 pm 

i am sorry i was wrong to post about shared source. that has a specific meaning and i was using it wrongly to support my own opininons which may be outdated and from the past. I wish the best for everything and everyone. I really do. sorry about any confusion.

c

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 am 

CrisGer, my fellow AH hoodie,

I know you want the very best for MO:UL Open Source. I have faith that there will be shards that stick to Canon, we'll meet up there, I have no doubt.

Fan based ages, well, I think you'll be presently surprised. There are really nice ones out there. After you settle into the Cavern again, I encourage you to explore that which is new.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]