It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
With everybody going off-topic and ranting about others going off-topic....

What was the topic, again? Anyone remember? Anyone care?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 pm 

Shards: [moving to top]: As many as needed (Open Source - try to stop anyone!); just please someone keep 1 pure cannon shard; and maybe have a central shard registry that states the shard's views on all of these topics below.

Cleft vs. Relto: I prefer the cleft, but it is up to the shard. - A beginner versus experienced option when you create your avi would be a nice if someone were to code the option up.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Up to the shard.

SL/WoW/etc.: Uru is what it is, so if you want WoW - go play WoW; but in the end - up to the shard.

Canon: As long as there is at least 1 pure canon shard; up to the shard.

the KI: I sense a theme --- up to the shard.

Conflict: My suggestion is no cheesy action behind the scenes - but ...

The tunnels et all: Until the legality is worked out - this is a topic for another day.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: This one is *not* up to the shards - I am supreme, yet benevolent, dictator of all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cleft vs. Relto: The original single player cleft but with an alternative that gets people to the Cavern faster, if they so choose.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Each on their own turf, as long as we have a choice.

SL/WoW/etc.: No griefing of those who went there.

Shards: One log in. One download. Otherwise, go forth and multiply, though I can't even imagine how that would work.

Canon: It's only canon, in my book, if it came from Mr. Miller or those whom he officially designates. As long as that's understood, go crazy; just don't expect people to conform to your script.

the KI: Make it work, make it useful, make it look good, make it take photos in a format we can use.

Conflict: Community drama is plenty. Or stage your IC story in your own space. One can always detour around, or stay and play.

The tunnels et all: Eventually, in some form, the tunnels would be awesome. I've always wanted to hike down. Or up.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: True freedom is a balance between order and chaos. As long as there is choice, fear not.

Fans ages: Of course.

New Players: I hope so. Thus we survive and grow. Let us always keep the new player perspective before us in all that we do.

Things to do: Lots

New features: Toggle dancing on and off instead of having to continually restart. :D Better av customization would be nice. We all look alike.

Disclaimer: the above is my personal response and nothing in the least moddish. I apologize for anything that wraps to the second line. :wink:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 pm 

Cleft vs. Relto: Private cleft to start with two ways in (journey like ABM or the tunnels)

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Guilds for now with Cyan coming in when they can!

SL/WoW/etc.: don't care welcome them back with open arms

Shards: multiple with a single log in (with the guild shard being the "D'mala" of the new URU if cyan can't do it)

Canon: Guilds shard should be a continuation of the "real time" canon (no official story but a way to bring what we do into the story if cyan so choses)

the KI: fix, update, improve, get the pic?

Conflict: sure why not? maybe those who support guilds, those who don't for example.

The tunnels et all: YES! though make it like a puzzle! make the tunnels a mazework with dead-ends with artifacts or journals! something that can expand as "seismic activity" opens fissures! (IC way of starting slow and expanding as they can)

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: either or (controlled chaos is always fun!)

Fans ages: yes yes yes though as great as work can be, whatever shard is the non-canon canon shard should have some standards for content.

New Players: ALWAYS!

Things to do: Absolutely! (an example could be the exploration of the tunnels (see "The tunnels et all" response)

New features: always!

sorry for any multiline responses kinda hard to answer with only one line! (want to elaborate more on a few but don't want the txt any longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:40 pm 

Cleft vs. Relto: Start in the Cleft. It's where all things began, it's where it should go again. Starting in Relto not only ruins what canon the game has, but it isn't immersive. Myst is an experience, and jumping straight to the community ruins the wonder. I feel that we should all start in the Cleft, and then have the choice of either traveling to Relto or traveling down the Great Shaft to reach D'ni.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Guilds should monitor the amount of work put into things, and I definitely think that Cyan should be there to make big decisions. However, as this will now be open source, I feel it falls to the Guilds to be responsible for managing the Shards and the game itself, with Cyan there to implement new content and help with bugs/server problems at the moment.

SL/WoW/etc.:I feel fine with alternatives, but Uru is Uru and nothing can change that. Nothing will be able to measure up as an "alternative" to Uru.

Shards: Cyan should host one server that will be the basis for almost all activities. I also believe that the Guilds (as a whole) should be able to create different shards in order to implement User-content easier. However, I don't think we need more than 5 shards. Anything more than that will severely shatter the unity of the game, and would lead to having 3-person shards that range in the realm of hundreds, instead of 2 or 3 shards that hold the core group of people.

Canon: No Yeesha Magic, No DRC. Just let the Explorers be in charge of where things go, and don't try to draw "canon" from it. Uru is pretty much a spin-off anyway, and anything that doesn't directly relate to the D'ni and DOESN'T come from Cyan can never truly be called "canon"

the KI: Keep the model from MOUL. Release the source code for the KI, and allow for community feedback to allow the Guilds to design new models and new dispensers that can be placed in locations of D'ni

Conflict: Have community decisions. Have a system where, once you make a choice, you can't go back with that character. I believe that the choice should be either to follow Yeesha, the DRC or your own path. This would/should allow for various changes to the plotline and the Ages you can access. This would also promote co-dependence, as (in example) if you follow Yeesha's path, you can't access Ages from the DRC path unless you go into the ages from the Age of a DRC-Story follower. This would increase and promote friendship ties, and would allow for much more unity on the servers.

The tunnels et all: Completely open the Great Shaft. Create the tunnels from Myst V and expand on them. Have them be a way that the Explorers can gradually "find new areas of D'ni" as the Guilds begin to go deeper into the Tunnels. I would personally love to see the community's response as the Guilds and Cyan work together to slowly unveil new regions of D'ni in beautifully crafted ways.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Give choices, anything less just wouldn't work.

New Features: Emote creator, allow for players to design new emotes as part of a contest, send them to the Guilds, and have a new one released every two months or something along those lines.

Also, create a segment of one of the Guilds that will act to "piece together" the fragments of Uru's canon, make sense of it, and come to a unified agreement on what is right and use that as a basis for future events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:56 am 

I guess I'm kind of cheating by answering this, because I don't really have a stake in the online community. I'm a long time lurker who left the community after a brief, dissatisfying experience in the original Uru Live Prologue. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was great fun for a lot of you, but I don't personally get much enjoyment from multiplayer games. I still yearn for the days when Uru was "DIRT" - D'ni in Real Time, a single player game simply about exploring the ruined city of D'ni.

So what I'm really hoping comes out of this open sourcing is the creation of some kind of compelling and coherent single player experience along those lines for people like me. This would be a continuation or preferably re-imagining of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, rethinking storylines such as Yeesha, the Bahro, and the DRC that really made more sense for a multiplayer game than a single player one. How much of this would be based on pre-existing Cyan material from various sources and how much will be from fans (or a blending of the two), I don't mind, as long as it's fun. Having said that, here's my answer to these questions as best as I can:

Cleft vs. Relto: Start in the Cleft, collect the Relto book by solving a puzzle, then climb down through the shaft and the tunnels to D'ni. Relto serves as a hub for ages discovered along the way, and a place to collect rewards for completing puzzles (sort of like achievements).

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Somewhere between Guild system and completely open, depending on the policies of the individual shards.

SL/WoW/etc.: Like I said, I am not personally concerned about the MMO aspect so I don't really have an opinion either way.

Shards: Anyone who can set one up should be able to. Different shards will end up catering to different needs re: canon, storyline, fan-ages etc.

Canon: Let anyone do whatever they want with the canon. Fans are smart enough to know the difference between the official story and fan-fiction, and discerning enough to know what they want to be part of their own experience and what they don't. Speaking personally I'd love to see fans doing some creative "re-imagining" of various story elements or things taken for granted in the setting, and I have some ideas of my own in that direction.

the KI: Whatever anyone can do with it, they should be able to.

Conflict: If some shards want that aspect, why not?

The tunnels et all: See answer to first question. The ideal would be some kind of conversion software similar to Drizzle that could take the resources from an already installed copy of Myst V and put them straight into Uru. Fan made resources would fill in the rest of the way to the city.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Anarchy all the way. Let the people do what they will.

Fans ages: I'd love to see what new environments the fans could turn out. If they're part of some kind of compelling story then even better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:38 am 

Quote:
Uru was "DIRT" - D'ni in Real Time, a single player game simply about exploring the ruined city of D'ni.

Actually DIRT was online :? .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 am 

The stranger wrote:
Quote:
Uru was "DIRT" - D'ni in Real Time, a single player game simply about exploring the ruined city of D'ni.

MystLore indicates that focus on online play was part of a shift from DIRT towards Mudpie. There aren't many sources regarding these, though, so mapping features to amorphous codenames won't be extremely accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:58 am 

The stranger wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure? I was under the impression DIRT only became am online project when it transitioned to "MUDPIE", with the "MU" standing for Multi-User.

After a little research I found this chatlog with RAWA on Uru Obsession that clears things up a little (edited for formatting):

Quote:
When we first finished Riven, we started with the idea of a single-player game which we called DIRT. That stood for "D'ni In Real-Time". That was intended to evolve into a multi-player, on-line experience later. Along the way, the plan changed and the mult-player experience became our focus. We called it MUDPIE... Ironically, about a year ago, plans changed again, and we started adapting the multi-player content for a single-player introductory experience. It's very different in content than DIRT, but similar in many ways, too.

And this interview goes into more detail on these transitions in development (emphasis added):

Quote:
I remember back in 1999 when Rand called us all together and announced his idea that he wanted to make a multiplayer, perpetual game instead of a single-player CD-ROM based game. (Which is what DIRT was designed to be at the time.) In fact, he made that speech on a Cyan Movie Day, the same day we were going out to see Star Wars Episode I. We had the Star Wars soundtrack playing in the background, the Imperial March, and Rand was standing above all of us on the big basalt pillars downstairs in the old Art Department and saying "What if.... Just What if what we're making isn't a single game that people will play once, but instead what if what we're making is a game that will let us build Ages and deliver content on a continual basis?" That was back when Everquest and Ultima Online were just new games, but to me, Rand was so enthusiastic about this crazy new idea that it was a little scary. He sounded a little like Gehn, in fact. But here we are, four years later, and we're about done.

And then there was the time Rand called us all together and announced his idea that he also wanted to make Uru single player... "What if what we're making is not just a multiplayer game, but also a single player experience.... " It was like deja-vu in the reverse direction.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4