It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cleft vs. Relto: Cleft. I'm not so bothered about single player / multiplayer here. More than once person has been called.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Freedom of choice. There is no "official" unless and until Cyan comes back.

SL/WoW/etc.: Learn from them, but don't try and turn URU into them.

Shards: Whilst "one shard fits all" may be a goal for some, it won't be practical in the short term. [A linked (distributed) database is a bigger technical issue than linked servers]

Canon: D'mala II would be canon. I see the guilds' shard(s) as something of a shrine, preserving MO:UL as it was until Cyan comes back. [Whilst I can understand fixes, what scope is there to make changes (ie new ages) without breaking canon?]

the KI: So much to change? Distinguish between fixes and enhancements and assign priorities.

Conflict: Why? The point of URU is exploration / discovery.

The tunnels et al: Don't care. Probably needs Cyan input / approval.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Neither. Shards give some freedom of choice but everyone is still bound by legal / decent etc

Fans' ages: Quality will out.

Last edited by Rusty_Russell on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Cleft vs. Relto: I'm sticking with Cleft, though I suspect Cyan will stick with Relto, because, well, it worked for them. However, I also liked the idea Cyan had where you could chat with people "nearby", even if you were in the Cleft without a KI. You see, Cyan was already two steps ahead of us! :)

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Complete and utter indifference. Fight it out among yourselves, and I'll just do what I usually do, anyways.

SL/WoW/etc.: Take only the ideas that would fit into Uru. But we do need a better wardrobe.

Shards: I don't know enough about the "shard" system to say.

Canon: Please forgive this long and winded answer. You have to remember we are writing brand spankin' new Ages of our own, which implies the D'ni - and perhaps the Ronay - never went there. Therefore, these places will have histories of their own. But outside these new worlds, absolutely stick to canon.

the KI: The only KI I ever knew was the one in MOUL. It worked well enough, but the system for send invites needs work. That drove me right up the wall to figure out.

Conflict: The only conflicts that really mattered were between the DRC and Sharper/Henderson's groups and, of course, ye olde Bahro War. I don't mind games and contests (Jalak Dador and, of course our Skydiving competitions, come to mind...)
but any PvP... well, no. Remember, this IS an E10+ game.

The tunnels et al: I'm not sure what this means. If you mean the Great Shaft from Myst V, it's not absolutely necessary, but if Cyan can fit it in, sure, why not.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: How about Civility, instead? Again, this is an E10+ environment.

Fans' Ages: Are we here to explore and have fun, or is this some kind of Beauty Contest? People will visit the Ages they like and avoid the ones they don't.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:10 am 

ddfreyne wrote:
Cleft vs. Relto: Cleft.

[...]

Canon: If someone wants a sci-fi shard, so be it. There will be (canon) IC shards anyway.

The KI: Could use some user interface improvements.

Conflict: I like the idea of picking sides. There's nothing like a GOOD FIGHT!!

ddfreyne FTW!
Oh, not trying to ruin the OP's attempt to keep things orderly here. But for the most part I agree 1000% with ddfreyne's post, so writing my own would be a wasted effort. [Side note: Gigantic strides were made weeks ago on UI improvements, so I'm not worried. I kinda would like the KI to look the same, but then again more functionality would be good, especially visibility of chat text when mulling around.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
<snip>

<snip>

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: How about Civility, instead? Again, this is an E10+ environment.
<snip>

The E10+ rating would no longer apply to an open source Uru. If people wanted to get an ESRB/etc rating, they would have to fork out, and apply for it on a (for example) Shard-to-shard basis.

Because, I'm pretty certain that there may end up being some non E10+-style rated variants, sooner or later. You won't have to visit them, you won't even have to /know/ about them, if you don't want to, but, they'll probably appear, at some point, anyways. Old battlegrounds? Humanoid Skeletons? Blood and guts, even? Could just happen.

Not saying that this sort of thing will ever become the only Uru, or anything, infact, I'd go so far as to say, it'll not have any repercussions on this community, unless people /want/ it to. This is all your own choosing. If you don't like it? Don't go there. Pretty simple way of solving it. No one is forcing you to like any changes, because, there will likely be shards that suit you. This goes for anyone. You don't like it? No worries, find Shards that do what you like. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:41 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Following thread rules set forth by the OP: Priceless. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm 

The rules of this thread are interesting, as most of the queries used are awkward strings of buzzwords, rather than good questions.

Cleft vs. Relto: If Cyan serves both ages, I'm sure there will be shards that start in either one. It would be interesting to see someone design a beginning from scratch.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: I don't know what the question is. If the question is "who or what should control the source code", the answer is my hard drive.

SL/WoW/etc.: I don't know what the question is. If the question is whether new Ages can learn from other sources of gameplay, then that depends on and differs between all people who make new Ages.

Shards: I don't know what the question is. I expect many multiple shards, and I expect shards to be distinct based on the people that populate them.

Canon: I promise to recognize good stories as being good stories.

the KI: I don't know what the question is. Redesigns of the chat interface will occur.

Conflict: I promise, again, to recognize good stories as being good stories.

The tunnels et all: I don't know what the question is. If I were Cyan, I would serve very few Uru Ages - and the tunnels have not even ever been released for Uru.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Anarchy will occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
TOOO wrote:
<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

The E10+ rating would no longer apply to an open source Uru. If people wanted to get an ESRB/etc rating, they would have to fork out, and apply for it on a (for example) Shard-to-shard basis.

Because, I'm pretty certain that there may end up being some non E10+-style rated variants, sooner or later. You won't have to visit them, you won't even have to /know/ about them, if you don't want to, but, they'll probably appear, at some point, anyways. Old battlegrounds? Humanoid Skeletons? Blood and guts, even? Could just happen.

Not saying that this sort of thing will ever become the only Uru, or anything, infact, I'd go so far as to say, it'll not have any repercussions on this community, unless people /want/ it to. This is all your own choosing. If you don't like it? Don't go there. Pretty simple way of solving it. No one is forcing you to like any changes, because, there will likely be shards that suit you. This goes for anyone. You don't like it? No worries, find Shards that do what you like. =)

I know it is very tempting to respond or try to reason with people's posts, but that ruins the purpose of this thread. Please, do not argue. This thread is supposed to be a spot where people can post without any fear of attack.

Quote:
The rules of this thread are interesting, as most of the queries used are awkward strings of buzzwords, rather than good questions.

1. That made them shorter, leaving more room in the one line for people to put opinions.
2. It allows people to say whatever they want about the subject, rather than forcing them into a set argument. This allows ideas that weren't a part of the original question to be made. In short, it allows the people to discuss their opinions on the whole topic, not just a specific argument.

If you are confused about some of the topics (as is understandable), here are some questions to start you off, but feel free to discuss any part of your opinions about them.

Cleft vs. Relto: Where should people begin? How should they begin? Public or Private? What should be changed? What should be kept? How do we keep everyone's interests protected?

Guilds/Cyan/Director/OpenUru/etc.: What responsibilities or powers should any group in the community have? How do we organize ourselves? How do we discuss things?

SL/WoW/etc.: What good is there in other games to learn from? What would be a mistake to implement? What makes Uru different/the same? What do we bring over, what do we leave out?

Shards: One shard or many? Who controls it/them? How many? What kinds?

Canon: How do we deal with this? How close do we stay to it? How open are we to new ideas? What differentiates good and bad ideas?

the KI: Should it have a new interface? If so, what? What features should be added? What features shouldn't? How do we organize this all?

Conflict: How do we present it? How much should we have? Should it be combat? Should there be rewards? What is its purpose in the storyline?

The tunnels: This is referring to the Great Shaft and the D'ni tunnels leading from the surface to the cavern. What should we do about them? How would we make/get them? What legal and canon issues are there? How important are they? Where do we fit them in?

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Are either of them dangers? Which is more dangerous? Which is more likely? What can we do to prevent them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 pm 

It is quite clear that you are collecting opinions of frequently discussed subjects in this thread. Not predictions of what the future will be. Somebody is being a bit obnoxious here ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Fun thread!

Cleft vs Relto - Relto, but Cleft is OK too.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc - a place for everyone

SL/WoW/etc - get ideas from them

Shards - as many as needed. I don't think one shard is realistic, at this time.

Canon: one place where it's all canon, canon, canon. Other places where it's looser.

KI: - just redesign it so it's easier to use, OK?

Conflict: I'm strictly a PvE - player versus environment kind of person. If there are obstacles to overcome, I like it if we all work together - help each other solve puzzles, that sort of thing. I think Cyan wanted to introduce a limited PvP (player versus player) option, which entails game conflict between people or groups. That's not my thing. If there is conflict (PvP), I'd like it to be optional. I'm fine with that sort of thing PvP - everyone should get to have fun - but I'd like it on specific shards, not all through the game.

The Tunnels: Would be swell to experience - give it a shot!

Fan Ages: A great thing - the popular ones will rise to the top, but I think that all the ages will have someone who likes them.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: It will all work out, if we have different places to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cleft vs. Relto: Prefer single player cleft. It worked great as a learning age.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: I'd rather have Cyan, but then people somewhere else want ice water. It will be all of the above but Cyan.

SL/WoW/etc.: I have not seen anything from these games listed in any thread that I would like to have in Uru.

Shards: There will probably be some, but not as many as some fear.

Canon: Canon only comes through Cyan. Let's leave that alone until there is no more Cyan to make it, Maker forbid!

the KI: I can see some changes in functionality, but let's leave it aesthetically the way it is. The early KI looks cool, but more confusing to use than the one we got. I never had any problems with it, but then, I didn't have any friends :(

Conflict: I'm indifferent towards this one. If someone has conflict in their storyline in their Age, that could be great.

The tunnels et all: Let's leave the tunnels alone until Cyan is able to tackle them. I'll admit, they would be great to visit.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Some will probably consider some terms of Cyan's license Tyranny, but there will probably be a shard or two that tend towards Anarchy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Cleft/Relto: I don't really mind, save that having to do the cleft before anything else can be anoying.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Cyan mainnly, with the shard admin making rules on thier respectives shard.

SL/Wow/…: i one thing that anoyed me is the camera. Just so static !

Shards: I think every will manage thing as see fit. working alone, or like mindded admins make a group a shard working as one.

Canon: Canon = Cyan, period. I'm all in favor of an extended fan made dn'iverce though.

KI: I would replace it with a more standard and effective interface, even if that mean being less IC

Anarchy/Tyranny: MM, i'm more in favor of anarchy, but not too much hey.

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Last edited by EowynCarter on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm 

Cleft vs. Relto: It works as it is until we can get into the city via the Tunnels

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Cyan is in charge. They allow great freedom. We can enjoy it the way it is or go to another game. It is a big world and no one is making anyone play MOUL. Bottom line is it belongs to Cyan and always will. They are sharing it with us. The Guilds are Great and should be supported.

SL/WoW/etc.: Those are other games ppl enjoy, but they are not URU. There is room for both, but MOUL URU is what it is and should be protected from the excesses of SL.

Shards: Protocols need to be established by Cyan about how Shards will admit and charge. At least some Shards should be open to any who apply, or this becomes another SL.

Canon: URU IS Canon. New Content should be approved by or integrated with Cyan story, or clearly labeled as other.

the KI: Works fine as it is. Resouces and energy better spent on developing nice new Ages and content to bring ppl in and to enhance our adventure.

Conflict: In the story line fine, among explorers and the communty, well, part of human nature but hopefully there will be ResEngs to ban or boot those that are too conflict oriented. MOUL is a peaceful and kind community and should remain so.

The tunnels et all: I would LOVE to see the Great Shaft and the tunnels in game.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: Neither is necessary. Cyan is the final word in all ways, and is sharing the game with us for our enjoyment. Perception and fear of other things like tyranny is a personal fear of order and is a projection not a realtiy. No one can make anyone do anything in URU, .....but decency and courtesy should always be enforced without exception.

PS i esp liked mszv's reply to this: Anarchy vs. Tyranny: It will all work out, if we have different places to go.

Fans ages: Quality control will determine the future of fan content in the game. Great Ages will prosper and have every right to be available on demand by individuals. Ages in development are great on individual servers but i dont want to be forced to accept and see anything that anyone wants to do.

Rusty said it VERY well: Fans' ages: Quality will out

Great topic and idea, and i am glad to see ppl respecting the concept. Contrary to some who think and encourage dissidence for its own sake, and try to make waves, many if not most all of us enjoy a good discussion and dont create conflict for its own sake.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:00 pm 

Perhaps if one where to go threw all the versions of Uru Live and see what worked the best and start from there. Their is a rather extensive history of this online game to learn from and a huge community full of resources, information and idea's. I assume the problem lies within gathering them all in one place sorting threw them and implementing them. I trust the community will figure out what works best and the ones with the know how will do what is necessary. How I think it should be run, well as long as its up and running and it remains a nice friendly place to hang out, dance for no reason in mid air joke around, and goof off like I remember we used to im sure it will be fine

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Guilds/Cyan/Director/OpenUru/etc.: What responsibilities or powers should any group in the community have?

Only one, making whatever code they whish ;)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 pm 

the future will be interesting indeed.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next