It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:35 am 

CrisGer wrote:
We will have to abide by Cyan's decisions in all things, Open Source does not mean, in this case, open season. They have made that clea and I totally respect that. They own and created the game, and we all love it, and can have fun within those boundaries. :)

I think you missed the point of open sourcing Uru. Cyan is not going to be your puppet in forbidding what you clearly don't wish. Your biassed attitude does not show much respect for the entire Uru community. Let's face it, who is more important in the scheme of things. I suggest a sensitive and controlling soul such as yourself select your future shard with careful consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:49 am 

Not being able to see the rules for some reason: unfortunate.

Quote:
Here are the rules for this topic.

You have only one line of "normal" sized text to express your opinion on each point.

You may not attack or degrade a person for their views. You may not argue over opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I hate to add to the list of ironic posts breaking the rules to point out that rules are being broken... :P
but, if I were the OP, I'd request that the mods remove all the posts that don't follow the rules, including these pointing them out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Cleft vs. Relto: Relto, as have done the Cleft many times and would rather re-do at my own leisure when I feel like it.

Guilds/Cyan/Dictator/OpenUru/etc.: Guilds and Cyan have a role in keeping order, but not total control.

SL/WoW/etc.: Not what I'm playing. Would prefer a persistent world without combat and killing.

Shards: Some central social gathering places, but also separate areas for things that don't fit the D'ni "mood."

Canon: At this point, I think people will need to pick and choose their own personal "canon." Can't be regulated.

the KI: Bug fixes greatly appreciated.

Conflict: Good for some types of narrative, if at the end of the day it's civil at an OOC level and true conflict stays IC.

The tunnels et all: If Cyan has plans for future D'ni projects, reserve them for that, but if not, the fans may as well.

Anarchy vs. Tyranny: People should have freedom to be creative within a set of very basic guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

For those whose statements go clearly over one line (yeah, those 3 or 4 line statements, you're not convincing me that mere screen differences are changing those), would you please attempt to organize your opinions in a more concise manner? I put this arbitrary end amount, and I know it is small, because people like to respond with more and longer posts than those before. This works for awhile, but a lot of people are intimidated by the need (just to show up!) to write multiple paragraphs of explanations. One sentence keeps it readable and simple.

Also, please do not argue over a person's response. Unfortunately, people will write more aggressively and with more rhetoric if they feel they will be attacked. In order to allow everyone a space to openly discuss their opinions without fear of argument or attack, I would ask everyone to not argue with another person's opinions and to edit posts where they argued. Thank you.

Last edited by Gehn, lord of ages on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:50 pm 

SCGreyWolf wrote:

If you're referring to the post immediately before yours, I wouldn't classify correcting an opinion based on incorrect information to be a "personal attack." The tone of that post certainly is strong, but we have to remember that it's a response to a perceived glorification of censorship, which always gets people riled up (as it well should). Myself, I think it's clear that there's still a lot of discussion to go until people start accepting what the project really means. It's not all just happy fun-fun times :D

And to be quite honest I'm rather shocked that a Forum regular could say that we will have to follow Cyan's lead by the nose. A conduct / usage / morals clause in a custom license for use of the content - sure, I can see that; but for the game engine, not so likely. Many people like Cyan to have control - else we wouldn't be here - but again, there were hits and misses (some near and some far); it's up to the community to help build on this solid foundation. And some people are just wary of any group that's close to the power centers (in this case, the company Cyan).

I think you should just ignore it, as I did the time

I asked somebody not to post something, but I wouldn't ask the mods to get involved unless somebody is breaking the rules - mods shouldn't be enforcing random rules somebody set up for the sake of a topic, no matter how well intentioned and thought-out they are. That's not what was agreed to in the TOS for this Forum, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:25 pm 

Elaborating (off topic!): I am not somebody who finds it easy to follow rules of any kind, let alone additional ones created on the spot by someone who starts a topic, and then creates random rules to steer the subject... this is not a forum game, it's a game forum. The rules should be universal, as indeed they are, and free expression should never be suppressed outside those basic rules.
That is just my opinion, and yes, I realize that I posted outside the boundaries the OP set up, but that is only because I didn't agree with them in the first place. I guess that is why I didn't reply within the rules, and when I finally could not be silent any longer, I posted well outside the rules. Did that just make me a rebel? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

It does seem rather ill-mannered to spoil the party when anyone can start their own topic if they don't like how this one is run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:16 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
It does seem rather ill-mannered to spoil the party when anyone can start their own topic if they don't like how this one is run.

I agree, but asking for mod intervention (for not following topic rules, not for the personal attacks) goes over the line, I think.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite, but I didn't ask for mods :D

Sorry for the derail, again. Now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
And, this is exactly how threads deteriorate and why it is perfectly acceptable to request intervention from the moderators. I don't know what the rules are exactly, but I do know that a couple of moderators have seemed more than willing to assist me in keeping a thread or two tidy when I clearly outlined rules in my original post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ed Oscuro wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:

I agree, but asking for mod intervention (for not following topic rules, not for the personal attacks) goes over the line, I think.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite, but I didn't ask for mods :D

Sorry for the derail, again. Now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Yes, (unfortunately most everything is going over some line, it seems). The mods are not meant to enforce topic rules. Hopefully, civility will enforce the rules, though. By breaking the rules, you are making it harder for the rest. This topic is not meant to be an arguing zone - there are already tons of those :wink:. It is meant to be one place where people can share their opinions equally, without fear of someone arguing with them. The one line rule is so that people don't just keep writing progressively longer explanations until you have to write essays just to be noticed.

Or, I can invoke Uncle Sam
I WANT YOU
to follow the topic rules

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:19 am 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:

If you're referring to the post immediately before yours, I wouldn't classify correcting an opinion based on incorrect information to be a "personal attack." The tone of that post certainly is strong, but we have to remember that it's a response to a perceived glorification of censorship, which always gets people riled up (as it well should). Myself, I think it's clear that there's still a lot of discussion to go until people start accepting what the project really means. It's not all just happy fun-fun times :D

And to be quite honest I'm rather shocked that a Forum regular could say that we will have to follow Cyan's lead by the nose. A conduct / usage / morals clause in a custom license for use of the content - sure, I can see that; but for the game engine, not so likely. Many people like Cyan to have control - else we wouldn't be here - but again, there were hits and misses (some near and some far); it's up to the community to help build on this solid foundation. And some people are just wary of any group that's close to the power centers (in this case, the company Cyan).

I think you should just ignore it, as I did the time

I asked somebody not to post something, but I wouldn't ask the mods to get involved unless somebody is breaking the rules - mods shouldn't be enforcing random rules somebody set up for the sake of a topic, no matter how well intentioned and thought-out they are. That's not what was agreed to in the TOS for this Forum, after all.

You answered my question for me and then ranted, but the correct answer was that I was posting that because people continued to not read Ghen's rules even after JWPlatt pointed out that there were rules in the OP. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradise wrote:
CrisGer wrote:
We will have to abide by Cyan's decisions in all things, Open Source does not mean, in this case, open season. They have made that clea and I totally respect that. They own and created the game, and we all love it, and can have fun within those boundaries. :)

I think you missed the point of open sourcing Uru. Cyan is not going to be your puppet in forbidding what you clearly don't wish. Your biassed attitude does not show much respect for the entire Uru community. Let's face it, who is more important in the scheme of things. I suggest a sensitive and controlling soul such as yourself select your future shard with careful consideration.

Quite right, if we're speaking open source, the code is ours do to watever we wish.
The IP is, owever , still cyan's, so we can't state anything "cannon' until cyan say so.

But, i agree with one point though, uru was made by cyan, is cyan's baby, and we shoudn't forget that. But that dosen't mean doing "something else" should be forbiden, or even discouraged.

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 pm 

EowynCarter wrote:
Quite right, if we're speaking open source, the code is ours do to watever we wish.
The IP is, owever , still cyan's, so we can't state anything "cannon' until cyan say so.

Indeed. I can only assume that CrisGer is confusing the license of the content (ages and their accompanying artwork, soundtrack, storyline, etc.) with that of the code. It doesn't surprise me in the least that Cyan has chosen to make the content license far less liberal. That said, we know the rights of neither, so it is premature (and likely incorrect) to generalizingly state that we can do "whatever we wish" with the code. No open source license actually removes copyright in that sense; only releasing something into the public domain does.

At the same time, I urge everyone not to use the term "shared source" (I don't know who first brought it up, or why), which is a completely different source code model and decidedly not the one Cyan has chosen.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:29 am 

sorry , i edited my post that was not in line with the desired format.

i wish the future to be wonderful for all.

"We Build Worlds"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next