It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:38 pm 

What is the difference between a front end server/shard and a back end server/shard ?

Thank you,
AW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:19 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Using the terms 'front end' and 'back end' shard seems confusing to me when those terms are usually used for the back end being the data warehouse and the front end being the user interface. It's not really like that so I think subshard might be a better term because it's a piece of all one shard fitting as a server overlay. Maybe call it a "sliver." Also keep in mind that "server" can really mean a cluster of physical servers bound together.

It might help to think of a sliver or subshard in terms of scope. The "back end" shard has the global set of data, configurations, etc. The "front end" or subshard or sliver overlays the global data with it's own local set to offer users of that server (or cluster) a custom rendition of an age normally offered globally. Or it could offer something unavailable anywhere else. If you want to offer a neighborhood with everything turned on, you can put that on your sliver. If people want hoods in the standard way Cyan doles them out from their data server, they wouldn't use the age link to your server. If the GoW or OpenURU.org wants an exclusive test server for ages under development, but still have link access and KI communications to the live shard, I suppose they might be able to do this with a sliver (aka 'front end') as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm 

Thank you very much for your "enlightening" answer JW. Image

I now feel much better informed . :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:57 pm 

Btw, if anyone can translate a "front end shard" in any other foreing language, it might become very usefull on the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 am 

I will translate Front End Shard into MMO Player:

That's called an Instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 am 

Sensei wrote:
I will translate Front End Shard into MMO Player:

That's called an Instance.

Sensei, that is not a translation but it is an english description of
a possible result/purpose for a Front End shard. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:34 am 
Obduction Backer

There's no such thing as a front end shard or a back end shard. :P
A shard is a server cluster with a common vault (database).
I suppose you could have the front end and back end of one, but I suspect that the front end is the client and the back end is the 'server' (shard itself in this case).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:30 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:

You tell Cyan that.

http://mystonline.com/about/news/

Quote:
Release binaries for a few front end servers to be run on fan run servers (front end shards). These fan run servers will have to be registered with the Cyan server and will help alleviate bandwidth issues. These front end processes will be limited to game servers and file servers. All authentication and avatar databases would still be handled by Cyan servers. This way a user needs only one account with all their avatars, no matter what front end shard they connect to. As a matter of fact, accessing the front end shards will be seamless for the user, and they may never know (or care) which one they are running on.

Create processes and release binary updates to the front end shards so that shard owners can host specific age game instances (such as a particular Neighborhood) and be able to control the states of that instance. End users will not have to do anything special other than link to that age and they will be routed to the shard that is hosting it. This will allow the front end shard owners to provide unique experiences on the age instance that they host. (By the way, the states the front end shard owner's change will only affect the instance of the age they are hosting and will not affect other age's states, even if it is the same age.)

Strange wording, and I'm not so sure it's technically accurate.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:46 pm 

chucker wrote:
Rusty_Russell wrote:

You tell Cyan that.

http://mystonline.com/about/news/

Strange wording, and I'm not so sure it's technically accurate.

Good comment chucker. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok... I think Cyan are making it up as they go along. Shard in my post is a Cyan term (from Prologue) too.

I sort of understand the point of the post though. The components of the original shard were authentication server, file / data server and game server (of which the database was a part). It seems that we will have a common auth / data / database setup (back-end shard) and individual game server configurations (front-end shard). Shard in its root 'server cluster' definition still applies.

Last edited by Rusty_Russell on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the difference between front end servers and back end servers is exactly as you all described. Cyan intends to run the authentication and avatar servers that provide login and user data, i.e. back end. The community is intended to run the servers that provide the Age Instances which constitute the user facing portion of the software, i.e. front end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

That news is talking about a MORE roadmap. I'm wondering if the imminent open source has superceded it.

"Even though the development of MORE Urulive has been progressing (the new account system is nearly done!), I'm sorry to say that outside events have caused us to put this project on indefinite hold."

"Release binaries for a few front end servers to be run on fan run servers (front end shards). These fan run servers will have to be registered with the Cyan server and will help alleviate bandwidth issues. These front end processes will be limited to game servers and file servers. All authentication and avatar databases would still be handled by Cyan servers. This way a user needs only one account with all their avatars, no matter what front end shard they connect to. As a matter of fact, accessing the front end shards will be seamless for the user, and they may never know (or care) which one they are running on."

That's "one shard fits all". Too much Cyan in it for me as things stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:55 pm 

hopefully it will work out so everyone can enjoy what they want and the assests will be secured as Cyan wants.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
That news is talking about a MORE roadmap. I'm wondering if the imminent open source has superceded it.

I would say yes. That was in an announcement for MORE (where Cyan was still planning to host the master shard). In open-source Uru, Cyan does not appear to have any plans to host a shard of their own, so the information is irrelevant now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan is running logon and authentication servers?

I don't think so, not at all. Cyan is going to run a data server where people can grab the data for the ages. By "people" I mean the people running the shards/servers/game thing. The ages get grabbed from the data server, but that's it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next