It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:38 pm 

I'm a Myst fan from Denmark. Mostly a fan of Uru though!
I wasn't able to play myst online when it was up and running, because of the type of my credit card :[

Looking very much forward to this open source thing is coming up, but I can't help being a little scared that my chances for taking part of anything proper is very small.

I'm thinking that many of the servers might be closed, that you need an invite? Many of them might be US only? Many of the servers that "noobs" to the MO:UL community can join will be loaded with ***?

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong, but what can you Uru-Oldies say about these thoughts?

Last edited by Kaffekop on Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Open source, Cyan's desire and no GameTap in the mix mean that you should have no trouble in being a part of the next incarnation of multiplayer URU. Shards in the US won't preclude you from joining. URU's always had a global reach. European shards may be more convenient in terms of timezone and number of people logged on at any given time, but that's it.

It's possible that some shards will be invite-only, but I'm sure not all. Almost all shard owners will need as many people as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:20 pm 

sounds good *clapping hands* :D
eh.. what is "shards" ? Hosting-Servers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

A shard is a server cluster with a common vault (database).

With 1 TB hard drives these days, it might be possible to put on one server what used to need several.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm 

There is strong opinion in the community to make MOOS (or whatever your fav name for it is...) open to everyone.

Plus there are some Europeans that seem interested in running servers.

While there may be some International legal issues if fees need to be charged to support a server, most seem to think those can be handled.

I would say your chances of getting in are good.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

First thing you should know is that people in this community do no look down upon you, just because you are a noob. In fact, the word "noob" is hardly ever used. Everyone is welcome and the more Uru players the better. :)

So don't worry that you aren't good enough to be on a 'good' server. Uru is there for everyone. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 pm 

Erik wrote:
First thing you should know is that people in this community do no look down upon you, just because you are a noob. In fact, the word "noob" is hardly ever used. Everyone is welcome and the more Uru players the better. :)

So don't worry that you aren't good enough to be on a 'good' server. Uru is there for everyone. :)

thanks thats nice to know :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

We have a group of explorers who lie in wait for noobs...

just so they can help them!

The Guild of Greeters :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 am 

Erik wrote:

:shock: Well, that's certainly good to hear. I don't entirely like the 'noob' label, for a new person to became less dependant on everyone else, the more experienced need to help. I really hate it when people disregard new people as such. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 am 

Personally I prefer the term "newbie". When I was a "newbie" the Guild of Greeters was the best place to go for help and support. And the folk who hung out in the GoG Neighbourhood were also incredibly helpful. In fact, over time as I became more familiar with the Cavern, I would often hang out in the GOG hood myself so that I could help others the way that more experienced explorers had helped me in the beginning.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can say "hi" again to the helpful Greeters. /me waves.

MO:UL KI# 08022570

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:00 am 

No "noobs" in Uru !

we all have something new to find, something new to think, and a deep curiosity.

when looking for things to expect....... expect to wait , a lot ....and then to wait a lot more.

there are a great deal of things to do if you get yourself involved. Just like life, little happens for those that do not involve themselves.

Welcome ! and enjoy the this time of emptiness and anticipation....

Soon you will be as experienced as most of us are at the disappointment and vague announcements and vast periods of nothing , Enjoy!

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:08 am 

*look at post above*

Ah... okay...

Don't worry, hopefully we will get in at sprint time if not sooner (or later).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:19 pm 

Quote:
Soon you will be as experienced as most of us are at the disappointment and vague announcements and vast periods of nothing , Enjoy!

Don't worry, hopefully we will get in at sprint time if not sooner (or later).

I guess for those that just want to play the game, waiting makes sense. For the rest of us getting involved and doing something productive with our game time seems like a better choice. There are so many ways to get involved and so many fun things to do that are Uru related.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:34 pm 

Brilliant news, but I guess that it's going to take anything from 6 months to two years to set up, am I right?

or longer perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:04 pm 

Unless Cyan has to remove some 3rd party licensed software from their source, and some open source alternative must be found, then I think someone could bring up a server with just the MOUL environment (as it existed at shutdown) within a few weeks or perhaps a month or two. I've seen game source released with both audio and video code removed because some other vendor's software was used to provide that functionality in-game.

All of the source may not be released at once, however. We might get the server code first or perhaps the client code. Some compatible database software will have to be chosen and configured for the vault. I believe the source for both the client and server was written for Windows. Porting the server code to run on a Linux box could take a while but the community has some very talented people to take on this task.

Hopefully, within 6 months, we could start to see user created content and have begun to connect various servers into a distributed playing environment that supports relatively large numbers of players simultaneously. Until the source code is actually released and can be reviewed, this is all speculation on my part.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next