It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 pm 

According to the "Play" tab at the top of the screen:
Quote:
...the target is to have places to visit and explore by this spring (2009).

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Frisky Badger wrote:
According to the "Play" tab at the top of the screen:
Quote:
...the target is to have places to visit and explore by this spring (2009).

Depending on whether you trust Wikipedia or not, in the Northern Hemisphere, Spring begins around February 2 - 7, and runs through May 4 - 10 or so, or maybe it runs March 20 through June 22.
Other sources simply say it's March 1 through May 31.

Helpful, ain't we? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 am 

Has anybody considered Cyan might go by southern hemisphere and we still have some time left to prepare? Heaven knows we need it too!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:47 am 

Sophia wrote:
Has anybody considered Cyan might go by southern hemisphere and we still have some time left to prepare? Heaven knows we need it too!! :lol:

Cyan, an American company (of pure awesomeness), with a pretty huge Northern Hemisphere fan-base, sets a target based entirely on the Southern Hemisphere? Even though that's entirely possible, I very much doubt that. If it were the case, that would mean the there's a chance it won't open until 2010. (January)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm 

Awww, not fair! I'd go out and protest to get equal rights! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Historically, spring is said to start at the time of the vernal equinox, when day and night are of equal length, around March 21st. This is northern hemisphere "spring", where the amount of daylight is getting longer each day. Fall starts in the northern hemisphere when the day and night are of equal length, the autumnal equinox, but the days are getting shorter - around September 21st. For the southern hemisphere the equinox stays the same - the times of the year when the amount of day and night is the same, but the seasons are reversed.

Continuing, northern hemisphere - summer begins around June 22, the summer solstice, the longest day of the year in terms of amount of daylight. Winter begins around December 22nd, the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, in terms of daylight. In the southern hemisphere summer and winter are switched around - due to the tilt of the earth's axis.

That's what I consider the "official" start of northern hemisphere spring, March 21st. Around here people consider spring to be sort of March, but definitely April and May.

There's a bunch of links. This is a nice one - nicely explained
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/Season.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 pm 

Meteorological Spring starts March 1 typically. Weathermen don't care so much for where the Earth is in its orbit. A few even look out of the window to check if the sun is shining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 am 

mszv wrote:
Historically, spring is said to start at the time of the vernal equinox, when day and night are of equal length, around March 21st.

johnsojc wrote:
Meteorological Spring starts March 1 typically.

Ah, the confusion! :lol: In that case, spring either starts on about a couple of weeks, or a bit over a month. Doesn't really matter to me, so long as I can start my Uru very soon time.
/me Bohru dances
:oops: Don't know why I did that! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:41 am 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:
Meteorological Spring starts March 1 typically. Weathermen don't care so much for where the Earth is in its orbit. A few even look out of the window to check if the sun is shining.

If the release of OSURU depends upon the weather in the Spokane, WA area, we're doomed! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Well....If our angst gets any worse...we are doomed anyways....LOL :twisted:

Sit back...have a cold one on me...make it a long cold one...and some of you can call her Sally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am 

No one is a noob in URU.
Once called allways called.
Allthough I met with one or two called that never explored anything but the hood fountain whilst shouting CORONA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:59 pm 

:D I'm quite glad to see that people are well welcomed here. I wish I bought Uru Live when I had the chance, but I didn't because I wanted to finish the game first. Next thing I know, it's not avalonle anymore. You can't imagine my relief to find these forums and learn there's hope for it to return, hopefully soon! But about open source, how is n average person like me going to download and install the game when it's released? I dont have a clue on what to do with the source code... Is the acual game going to be released with it? How does this work? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Crystal, I seem to be following you, but I'm not really!

Unless you plan to run a server yourself (don't think you do), or modify the code - I think it will be like downloading and installing any other kind of software or game. You'll find a place to download the "client", and will follow the instructions to install it, and the instructions to connect to a server. I don't know how it will work, but I suspect it will be straightforward. I also think that this forum will be one place where there will be information on how to download the client and connect to the various game servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 am 

Yupp, you answered my question perfectly. :) So an average player like me can expect the acual game to be avaliable maybe a couple of days or so after the source is released and people have set up servers? Can't wait! In the meantime, I better learn how to make something useful for the community like an Age...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Crystal, there's probably a link to the Guild of Writers forum somewhere. I'm sure they'll help you with your stated ambition.

http://guildofwriters.com/wiki is as good a place to start as any.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next