It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 am 

Two months is past and so far no Open Source. I understand that Cyan is busy with the fully funded projects. So I'm not complaining. I have all five Myst games and the Uru Complete Chronicles. I got a feeling that either Cyan is creating somethng better than URU or that they're hesitate on releasing the source code. I'm an devoded URU fan and I talk to people either in There or in 2nd Life.
I hate to be rude but if Cyan doesn't release the source code by March 30th or I'll go to another Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:07 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm sure they're working on it as fast as they can, JimQ101.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:09 am 

If you don't have time you may leave, you don't HAVE to stay here. I can wait, because I also have other things to do. If I was sick of it, I would just visit the site less (there IS no game, is there?). Though it's your choice. But I can tell you that as much as I know Cyan Worlds, the game may not be around at March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Spring is three months long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 am 
Obduction Backer

How does that go again...

Hup two three four....March....I'm glad March has 31 days though...I'd hate to think we lose JimQ101 one day short....

Stay happy and it'll be here before you know it.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Spring is three months long.

Plus it is still winter ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ultimatums rarely work anyway. :roll:

I'm really excited to see what URU will look like a year from now. Home based suspended animation pod where are you?

KI# 02465190

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm 

JimQ101 wrote:
Two months is past and so far no Open Source. I understand that Cyan is busy with the fully funded projects. So I'm not complaining. I have all five Myst games and the Uru Complete Chronicles. I got a feeling that either Cyan is creating somethng better than URU or that they're hesitate on releasing the source code. I'm an devoded URU fan and I talk to people either in There or in 2nd Life.

To be speculative, I doubt they're working on something "better than URU". Cyan is extremely small and, as far as I can tell, only working on the Myst port to the iPhone. I'm sure they're hesitant to release the code at some level, however the fact that Cyan has enlisted former Cyan programmers to help get the game ready for open source, I think speaks to their dedication to it.

Quote:
I hate to be rude but if Cyan doesn't release the source code by March 30th or I'll go to another Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG).

Then I think you'll be gone (maybe). Considering Open Uru will almost certainly be free, it shouldn't really matter if you have other MMOs (it's not as if Uru would be draining your wallet). I would stick around, though. As others have said, it's not spring yet. Spring was Cyan's target and I would imagine they won't hit that squarely, given their size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

What this tells me is that those of us who stick around will have to make sure to tell other people when MMO Uru is ready to play. I think it's perfectly understandable that people will leave, perhaps only check the forums occasionally, but I think they will come back.

Summer actually works best for me - work and school are leaving me no time to do anything, other than work and school that is I don't think I'll be taking courses in the summer, though I probably should. Ah summer - I'm looking forward to Uru in summer. I figure that by that time Uru will be up, people will be in the game, and we might even have some new ages to explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm 

As far as I can speculate, there are three things Cyan needs to work on to get the open source ready to release:
  • Scrubbing through all the code making sure there's no proprietary, copyright, or other legal problems with releasing it.
  • Going through all the code and making sure all technical issues in releasing/building it are fixed.
  • Creating a system for hosting Cyan-owned content on a separate dataserver, and clearing up all technical and legal problems with that arrangement

Knowing how big software projects and legal departments work, I'm not surprised this is taking a long time. There are probably other miscellaneous things that need to be taken care of as well (websites, etc).

There's no reason to wait around here if you don't want to. It's perfectly fine to come back once things get moving. Personally, I'm using the time to learn as much as I can about age building and python programming in the plasma engine as possible, and to try to help contribute to ideas for what to do with OSMO in the various uru forums that exist.

(KI #266567).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm personally interested on how Uru being Open-Source, will turn out.

Will we update graphic quality, ie; Models and Textures, up to today's standards. Including (if possible) HDR, Bloom, Etc.

EAX is already good.

As stated in other posts, good things take time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:54 pm 

Yes, a thing I would very much like to see is updated graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I thought they weren't changing graphics at all. I thought they were getting the code ready for open source, and figuring out the best way to put the data files (graphics, etc) on a data server, and that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

mszv wrote:
I thought they weren't changing graphics at all. I thought they were getting the code ready for open source, and figuring out the best way to put the data files (graphics, etc) on a data server, and that's it.

I'm just saying graphical changes would be awesome...

Don't get your knickers in a twist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm 

The thing with graphics fixes (textures and modeling) isn't whether Cyan sanctions it by opening up. The files, etc. are easy (enough) to get. The trick will be doing the work and submitting it to Cyan/trying to get Cyan's permission to fix a problem. For example, in MOUL the second area in Ahnonay had a horrible texture issue which should be fixed. If someone already knows how to fix it, they get Cyan's permission or (if Cyan is un-responsive) they go against them and do the work and then show it to them in hopes they accept it. Or they put it up on their own shard. Which slowly gets assimilated into other shards because everyone wants the Ahnonay glitch to be fixed regardless of the legal whining.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next