It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: only one change
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am 

Let's make each Yeesha page appear in a new instance on a chance of one in twenty. That would make collecting many more of a sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:53 pm 

I think that would be more frustrating than fun, as Uru veterans, who would just like to be up to speed, have taken the journey hundreds of times...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe not the Yeesha pages, but if you had Bahro stones randomly popping up, which linked off to special areas, that could be fun. I was wondering how you could do this in a Fan Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:15 pm 

Quote:
I think that would be more frustrating than fun

Amen. In fact, I'll take it a step further and insist that whatever form Uru Live takes next, it should have a way of importing ABM/PotS progress. I certainly wouldn't mind if I never had to take The Journey again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 pm 

Having taken the journey more times than i care to remember (ABM, Prologue,POTS, URU (on most of the shards), DMALA and MOUL. The prospect of doing it again whilst possibly not the most enticing does offer a couple of prospects, that is spotting something I hadn't noticed before (this has happened each time I have re-taken the journey) and meeting new people on their own journeys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 am 

darkstar wrote:
Having taken the journey more times than i care to remember (ABM, Prologue,POTS, URU (on most of the shards), DMALA and MOUL. The prospect of doing it again whilst possibly not the most enticing does offer a couple of prospects, that is spotting something I hadn't noticed before (this has happened each time I have re-taken the journey) and meeting new people on their own journeys.

Yep. I'll gladly re-take the journey any day and any time I need to.

Makes it much easier to hint/assist/help others who may be confused/overwhelmed by it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 pm 

Analord wrote:
I think that would be more frustrating than fun, as Uru veterans, who would just like to be up to speed, have taken the journey hundreds of times...

How could that be frustrating. You just like to own things don't you ;). Yeah I gotta have all those pages, gotta, gotta, gotta,
Consider each relto a little different this way. And the joy of stumbling across a piece you'd like to have when playing sardines at somebodys Kadish. The relto pages are fun, but don't affect anything as I can see, and they are not part of completing a journey. And since you did spot them once, collecting them again is pointless if it isn't fun.

The pages are "beeing up to speed"? I don't see why.

Well never mind. If it upsets somebody it is not a good idea to waist good efforts on it. Efforts that can be used better in getting URU online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm 

I agree that it would be more frustrating than fun. For one, there are several pages which require some effort and/or deftness to get to (Kemo's is one) and after timing the jumps and other nonsense, that page had better be there. For another, you're trying to make "fun" out of denying people content they expect to begin with (regardless of effort exerted). Some things are tolerable and even exciting (such as closing off part of the city for some story reason and letting people be able to hear what's going on) but it ceases to be tolerable when it's at random, particularly such a low chance was 1/20, and for no obvious reason. Realize that you're asking people who don't have time to go bouncing around ages to, say, go to the little pier in Teledahn twenty times or more to get the dock page. As for "being up to speed", people like their Reltos a certain way. Some like everything, but others prefer some pages over others and leave those other pages out (I left off the thunder page and the rain page, among others).

Cyan attempted to do this sort of random chance thing with some of the Bahro stones. They did this, however, with a very good idea in mind when doing it. The concept Cyan was working on (and I think fan Age-makers can benefit from too) is the idea that you have a world so full of "stuff" that randomly appears/dissappears that the world is new every time you link in. The problem is that they were never able to properly stuff Ages (something fans would be able to do). I think an Age with many objects which go on and off whenever the Age is cleared (or even if certain sections of the Age are cleared) is an intriguing one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Yeesha pages are rewards for advancing in the game. It's like saying to the explorer "You've made it so far! Well, here's your little reward". That reward shouldn't be random, because the explorer deserves to find it the first time he managed to get somewhere. Also, there is a chance that explorers simply miss Yeesha pages. Explorers aren't going to re-run through an Age every day to see if there is some page that wasn't there before. If they don't see it the first time, there is a chance they will never get it, without being spoiled. So explorers will probably ask each other where they got their pages and look for spoilers online... and then all fun is gone.

So, Yeesha pages should be there at all times.

Note: Exceptions have been made for the neighbourhoods and for Ae'gura (well, for Bahro stones, not pages) and that is okay, because these are places you visit often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm 

Suggestion for the Yeesha pages and for the Bahro stones(permanent or random appearances).

There should be at least, a Journal somewhere showing images of all the Yeesha pages and Bahro stones without their locations. Each Bahro stone could have a specific D'ni number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm all for having things that come and go, places you can only access by luck and by chance. But for things you have to "earn" by working your way through an Age and/or solving puzzles and mysteries, the reward should always be there.

If I may be slightly spoilerish without getting in trouble, I'll give an example. When I was relatively new to Uru, back in the day (ABM), I had a lot of trouble with that portion of Gahreesen that requires dexterity and timing. It took me many, many tries (and weeks, the first time) to complete the final stage and get to the "end of the Age". Even now I can rarely do it on the first try. I would have been crushed if I finally got there and couldn't attain the "reward".

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

And think of the hoops you have to go through for the Ahnonay relto page. To do that for a random reward would be cruel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 pm 

No! It would be FUN :twisted:

Make you relax a bit. You know. Delete the Annoying book until you got them all. And boy will Fred* be pi**ed.
Why are you so afraid of a little work? It feels good to work hard and attain your "ghouls".

*Fred is your favourite teammate that is unfortunately (for him) online everytime you need help kickin' quabs.
But since Fred don't care about Yeesha pages or Fan created stuff, he has nothing else to do while waiting for the CCCP. You consider the whole deal as 'doing him a favour'.

PS! I don't think fans will be allowed to mess with the official ages an stuff so I guess this GREAT idea is nipped in the bud, unless... I start a lobby campaign towards those friendly programmers preparing the downloadables... yes that might work.

SCARED YOU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm 

Sorry Rudolfson this is not by any stretch of the imagination a great idea. I have no problem with random items just turning up, but having players work their way through of complicated problems only for them to find that well tough luck the fickle finger of fate has decided that you will have to it all over again cos it not your turn this time to get the prize. I can think of no better way to put off new players and to drive them away. Random awards should be just that random, they should just turn up and not require the player do any more than just look around. Any reward which requires the player to perform a series of complex and in some cases difficult actions to gain the reward should be consistent and reliable. You do the time you get the prize. Anything else is not fun, its unfair and counter productive if we want to widen our player base and hopeful in time
see the game being expanded by Cyan again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

darkstar wrote:
Sorry Rudolfson this is not by any stretch of the imagination a great idea. I have no problem with random items just turning up, but having players work their way through of complicated problems only for them to find that well tough luck the fickle finger of fate has decided that you will have to it all over again cos it not your turn this time to get the prize. I can think of no better way to put off new players and to drive them away. Random awards should be just that random, they should just turn up and not require the player do any more than just look around. Any reward which requires the player to perform a series of complex and in some cases difficult actions to gain the reward should be consistent and reliable. You do the time you get the prize. Anything else is not fun, its unfair and counter productive if we want to widen our player base and hopeful in time
see the game being expanded by Cyan again.

I'd have to agree with darkstar here. . . :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next