It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:57 am 

Hi all,

I was toying around in Photoshop and came up with a really neat symbol that I think would work out AWESOME for this rebirth of URU not only because I think it looks nice, but because it has a deep meaning behind it. Take a look at this:

Doesn't look like it has too much deep meaning at first, but in truth there is a very deep meaning put into it, Think of it this way:

You notice the first wave on the top right? Think of that wave representing Uru Live (Ubisoft)

We began on the left side of the wave.

As time went by, things got better for the community, so the wave goes up, then when Ubisoft announces that Uru will be discontinued, the line goes back down and down until, it stops/shuts down. Think of the end of the line symbolized as a shut down.

Now, go to line 2. This represents MOUL. It started out good as usual, with all the episodes and such, so the line goes up again. But after season one was over, people began to drift away, so the line, goes down (think of it as the amount of interest and investment at the time going down). Then, it stops going down; this is when we get the announcement MOUL is shutting down. Now where does the line go? Back up to the same point the end of the Ubisoft line went to; a shutdown. But because the line passes the original shutdown point, that represents that it was a harder blow to the community.

Now the third line, represents URU (Open Source). It is something completely new and completely different, So the line is skewing off, in an entirely new direction, into unknown territory :) It also goes up, to where the start of Ubisoft began, representing a new beginning... :D

Well? Do you all like this?

Cyan? What about you? :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:30 am 

Oo Sorry, but I really don't entirely understand the meaning to it! :oops: That aside, I like the icon, and the idea of a new one. I recently dabbled at making my own, but I don't have the software. Remembering the original URU had the two U's had one end extended a bit, my idea was to add a golden emboss of Relto over the icon, with the cliff egdes going down to form the two U's. When I get the right software for it I hope to show you all, I hope you understood that! :oops: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:42 pm 

chrissifniotis wrote:
I recently dabbled at making my own, but I don't have the software.

http://www.gimp.org/

No I'm not making a rather lame joke ;)

Check it out, its usable and I prefer it over Photoshop for it size.

It does lack in places but to get you started and for you to develop ideas, its quick.

I've grown up using it, from simple photo cropping and re-sizing to web development.

So for me if photoshop is not around when i need it, I just use the gimp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:06 pm 

It looks like squiggles...

Call me anti-modern and anti- minimalist art form, but... I don't get the whole up and down line thing. Psychologically "up" means good, and "down" means bad, in most cases. I don't think logos have to have meaning to be a good logo. They just have to be catchy to the eye and known to relate to the company. "URU" itself is a logo purely because it can be looked at as "you are you" and therefore has several meanings.

Anywho, just my opinion. It looks like squiggles needing too much interpretation.

MO:UL KI Number: 6138333

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
This IS my signature...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:27 pm 

JeffeJ5005 wrote:

Call me anti-modern and anti- minimalist art form, but... I don't get the whole up and down line thing. Psychologically "up" means good, and "down" means bad, in most cases.

Think of the lines representing the investment and the amount of people in the cavern, where up means more, down means less ;) Does that make more sense or is it still a bit confusing?

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 am 

Jamey wrote:
JeffeJ5005 wrote:

Call me anti-modern and anti- minimalist art form, but... I don't get the whole up and down line thing. Psychologically "up" means good, and "down" means bad, in most cases.

Think of the lines representing the investment and the amount of people in the cavern, where up means more, down means less ;) Does that make more sense or is it still a bit confusing?
Jamey I thought it looked great! I DID get the whole "Up and down thing". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 am 

Hum... IMO, a logo ought to be visually appealing, informative, and advertise your product. You may have created art, but that's not really a logo. Nothing stopping you from putting it on your particular server or whatever when the source is open, I sadly doubt we'll see all of URU uniting under one banner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:15 pm 

hmm...I get what you're going for but, I don't know. Uru never really had a "symbol" per-say. I think Uru could be ok with either no symbol or something like the symbols for all the guilds in one circle.

Post subject: Shot in the dark
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 am 

My immediate impression was that the sqiggles had or made up when I looking at it right - U R U :shock:

Is that the deep meaning? That one can easily see the Uru "You" "Are" "You" within in it? :roll:

Well that's what I got from it and I liked it very much. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Good spot, Jahmen! The two Us are obvious, but the R is a composite, starting with the right-hand leg of the first U.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:07 pm 

Nice idea :)

"We Build Worlds"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]