It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: A few questions.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 pm 

I have a few questions about this game:

1.How many Mods/Devs are working on making MO:UL open source?

2.Is there a projected day of launch?

3.Is this a free game?

4.Is there more than one world/ server?

I just learned about this game 3 days ago.

ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

My take on this -
1. We don't know.

2. We've been told the goal is for a "spring" release of the tools. I do't know how long it will take the people running the game shards to set things up, after the source code and tools are released.

3. It depends on the people running the game shards/the servers. I think some versions will be free, but that's up to the people running the shards (game servers), and for new content, the people making and releasing new ages.

4. Yes, but how many - lots of debate on this. I don't think we'll know how many until we see them strart to come up. The thing to note - everything is done by fans. The exception - Cyan will run something which lets the people running their own game servers to download the Cyan ages onto their servers (did I say that right?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:35 pm 

Quote:
1.How many Mods/Devs are working on making MO:UL open source?

We don't know. But not a lot. However, I don't think they need lot's of developers, they are only opensourcing it.

Quote:
2.Is there a projected day of launch?

"spring". Which should be very soon.

Quote:
3.Is this a free game?

Yes, it should be free, as I understand it.

Quote:
4.Is there more than one world/ server?

There should be lot's of servers, because people will open their own server and do whatever they want in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The exception - Cyan will run something which lets the people running their own game servers to download the Cyan ages onto their servers (did I say that right?)

mzsv, I think the Cyan data server is for everyone to get the client and the Cyan ages from MO:UL, whether or not they're hosting ages of their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:27 pm 

The data server will only have the precompiled MOUL game data. Both the client and server will be released as source code (at least that's the way I read the information on the developer's tab at the top of this page).
Quote:
The code sources that will be included are the code for the client, all the servers and tools.

Quote:
However, we will be creating a Myst Online: Uru Live data server with the compiled game data so that fan supported servers can connect to and then serve that data to their users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Devs working: If I remember what Chogon noted, it's a handful, and they're all providing what they can when they can. It's not a formal "You're all on the OSMO team" but a "I finished X, I can spare a day to work on some code here". Also I'd gotten the impression some of the people didn't even work at Cyan anymore, which is possible (it happened for UU if memory serves)

Date of launch: Spring. He didn't even say Spring 2009, but that's the hope. My guess is this year, but no more details than that.

Free: Yeah, per shard basis. No way someone can charge too much, or everyone will ignore them for free servers. I imagine all free, with donations appreciated to keep it going (like say webcomics are now). Probably not the same massive spread, but about the same number of varieites with many similar and some different.

Servers: See above. As many as people want to put up. Everyone will be running servers at first, the number will drop as some are abandoned, and eventually it'll settle down to a core grouping. I imagine some will be IC of varying levels (in character, steadfastly so), some will have story some not, and some will be open play servers where you're free to glow like a kaleidoscope and fly through the air doing loops looking like Zandi.
Or something like that.

Cyan is providing download for core ages which aren't going to be open sourced, but they're not hosting a shard. This isn't MORE. Cyan isn't letting us at the decompiled age sources to play with, so they instead give us the actual source. We'll likely eventually have our own content servers to back up/replace theirs as it goes, particularly since somewhere has to host compiled binaries for end-users.

That means where do we get it? Dunno... but first let's get the soruce and see :D

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:08 am 

What can I do to help the with the game? I have no game making experience or server. I do know a little about web site making.

Ki#00098951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:50 am 
Obduction Backer

S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Mystifies wrote:
What can I do to help the with the game?

Just being here is some of the best help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:27 am 

Play. That could help. If you like it, tell your friends :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:03 pm 

How do I play? I thought that the game was down.

Ki#00098951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystifies wrote:
How do I play? I thought that the game was down.

I think he means once it is set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:15 pm 

Yep. Spring time. Soon. It may be a bit later, but being new, you will sure have more than enough to do/learn until the game is up. Stick by, ask questions, and soon enough the announcment will come, and you can say you have been around since the opening of the open uru :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 am 

Can I get the Age Maker?

Is the Age Maker free?

Is it drag and drop?

Does it have a lot of coding?

Ki#00098951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:40 am 

Quote:
Can I get the Age Maker?

There is no real "age maker". People usually work with a program called "blender".

Quote:
Is the Age Maker free?

Blender is free, yes.

Quote:
Is it drag and drop?

Nope.

Quote:
Does it have a lot of coding?

I don't know what's "a lot", but it has coding, and it's not very easy for a beginner, unless you have a wonderful technical sense. Sorry :( .

But don't be put off by that! age making is just part of the game, you don't have to make it if you don't want to learn. You can enjoy official ages, as well as fan created ages, without having to do anything of your own. However, if you really want to help with ages, you can always help the coders with textures, or even story/theme suggestions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next