It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:08 pm 

Xastabus wrote:
Indeed, you can do anything you put your mind to KT. W3C has tutorials for HTML and lots of other things.

I'm sure you can find info on age building at the Guild of Writers.

Corporate skills... um... dunno about those, I took Business 101 a couple of years ago.

Nunchuck... I'm leaving that one to people with far more coordination. :lol:
HAHA! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm 

Does anyone know what Uran was? i can't remember, but it says on the DRC website that they opened it before they shut the game down. Was it a pod age? And, speaking of ages, are we going to get Minkata back? Is Dusty still going to be there? Is there a release date yet? Will the stone pillars and the growing tree come back? Are we going to get lag, or are they going to put limits on age capacity again? I'm sure I can come up with new questions if you don't think I've thought about this waaay too much... :roll:

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uran (Asehm'en) was a section in D'ni, it was part of the Industrial area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:02 pm 

I don't remember that...
:? What was in it?

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 pm 

You get to the Uran Silo [spoiler]via Er'cana.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

At the end of prologue / the very beginning of UU, you were meant to reach it from the bahro stone in Kemo that got repointed to the classroom roof. It never worked though - you hung, trapped forever trying to link to an age that wasn't there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:35 pm 

The Uran Silo -

[spoiler]- was where you tested the pellet you made in Er'cana then dropped it to help feed the lake (in the GT on-line multiplayer version - not the single player off-line version :wink: ).[/spoiler]
KT further wrote:
And, speaking of ages, are we going to get Minkata back? Is Dusty still going to be there? Is there a release date yet? Will the stone pillars and the growing tree come back? Are we going to get lag, or are they going to put limits on age capacity again?

Since we will be getting MO:UL as the base for Open Source it's pretty much a given that all of the game we enjoyed on-line will be available - including all the Ages and "extras" that were added during its year at GameTap. So I'm pretty sure Dusty will still be in Minkata waiting for us to start kicking him around again. :lol: As to lag - Chogon has stated that what we get will be exactly what we had when MO:UL shut down. So yes - if attendence is high expect some lag in certain public areas. I am also positive that there are Fan programers out there anxiously awaiting the game's release in order to tackle the lag problem. However - all of MO:UL as it currently exists is Cyan owned and whether or not the Fans will be allowed to fiddle with it - i.e fix known bugs and cut down lag - will be up to Cyan.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:40 am 

Shorah board members,

I'm Alex, a long-time fan of the Myst series (played the original game when I was eleven). I played through Myst, Riven, Exile, and then Uru. By the time I got to Uru, Myst Online was non-functional, so I played through the packaged expansion packs 'To Dn'i' and 'The Path of the Shell'. Playing the expansion packs was so eerie, knowing that the space I was in was designed to be filled with people, yet everything was sadly empty.

Every year or so, I get the itch to play again, and I check on the flickering flame of Uru Live. The last time I checked, GameTap had announced that it was canceling its service, and I could have kicked myself. I had decided upon the GameTap release that I couldn't afford the distraction of such an engaging game during my roughest semester of college.

Today's Wikipedia homepage had 'Riven' as the featured article, leading me again to this website. Man was I surprised to see that Cyan had regained the rights to Uru Live (for free, no less) and would be releasing it to the community open source. I am so excited to see where this goes, as I'm sure is everyone else here.

But I'm also a little afraid. How do the uninitiated, such as myself, become part of this tight community that has gone through so many trials together? (Just one look at the role-call thread, with all the guilds, etc, makes me want to crawl away in noob fear). I feel like I'm so behind in my knowledge of D'ni lore and the history of the community that I need a belayer just to make it up the steep learning curve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:03 pm 

Shorah Alex and welcome to the Cavern.

I can understand your fears but lay them aside. You've found a community that embrases all newcomers and helps them as much or as little as they want. :wink: As you have played the off-line URU you have the basics for the on-line game. Since none of us know where the "story" or game itself will go once the open source version is up and running you could say we are all in the same boat as you. :lol:

First - don't be afraid to just jump right in and start asking questions in the Spoiler Free Discussion sections of this Forum. The one we're in right now for all things related to open source URU - the one in the first section of these forums for anything related to the on-line or off-line game that was. Folks will either answer your questions directly or point you to the right location to find the answers. Hmmm...as for a look at MO:UL I do know that some fans were given permission by Cyan to make a 2D version of the entire on-line game as a sort of "scrapbook" before it went away. I don't recall what site it is on, but if you want to get an idea of what MO:UL was like PM a fan named CrisGer. He can tell you exactly where to find it.

As for background story etc. - the only recommendation I can think of at this moment is to go to rel.to. It is a site that can point you to all other places D'ni related. Especially those for newcomers. If you are into the actual creation of Ages for Open Source URU you might want to try the Guild of Writers web site and forum. Don't be afraid to post questions - they are always willing to help newcomers. I was going to point you to the Guild of Greeters web site (they were formed sepicificly to help newcomers to URU) but I noticed they haven't up-dated their site since summer of 08. I'm not sure how responsive they'd be to your questions on their forums. But go ahead and give them a try!

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4