It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

The way to think about the tools is that, although free, they are designed for people who either have game making or animation expertise, or are so motivated to make games that they want to learn. That's how I think of the tools - "so you want to be a game developer" tools. On code, well, you have the coding you'd need to modify the client and the server, and you'd have to be able to work with the tools that blender requires. I'm looking at the blender website and I'm seeing scripting involved, as well as the ability to work with data objects and to understand how blender works with data. For blender, it looks like it would help to have to 3D design training and skills (2D for the textures) and an understanding of how games implement 3D designs.

Of course, one can learn, and people are learning and having fun - but they aren't the sort of in-game tools that one thinks of when one thinks of in-game mod tools.

Personally, I think being here and playing Uru when it comes out is good too.

Last edited by mszv on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:46 pm 

I'm glad you found the game. My big question is, How did you find game and this forum?
Next what caught your interest?

As to building ages... in game there is the idea of the D'ni people being able to write books that described whole worlds and a little grayer in the area of whether that included civilizations. I think it is sort of the ARG (alternate reality game - forgive me if you know these acronyms) aspect of how Cyan described things in real life (RL) in game terms, in-character (IC). Cyan modeled the 3D worlds and wrote the code to animate them and so were the RL age writers.

Within in the story are guilds one of those being the Guild of Writers (GOW). There is a fan web site and forum for guild members... well any fan actually as membership in guilds is by personally deciding to be part of a guild. By participating and earning a place in the community one can become an officer in a guild... read officer as someone that does lots for the community. Whatever... it is now that site that holds all the information on writing ages for the game. Other sites such as Guild of Maintainers (GoMa) have good information too.

With Blender one needs a plug in script to compile the models and textures into game files. That is free, incomplete and available at the GoW Wiki.

There is something like 96 fan created ages, at last best count. I was told that about 15 of those are the same quality as Cyan’s or at least near that quality. One can download those ages and visit them. There is info on what one needs to do that on GoW. In those ages is one called Ahra Pahts. The idea in that age is a city with building lots where one can build mini-ages… The idea was to reduce the learning curve… or at least the amount of work needed to get a 3D model up and in game.

There are some creative people writing stories and ages and you can read their progress in the creative effort at GoW. When ages are actually being tested you can follow the progress on GoMa. If you want you can volunteer to become a …well in this case I guess an ALPHA tester, which is a rare opportunity in the gaming world. Plus they offer training in how to test, which might get you into other alpha and beta testing situation if you add that to your resume.

On the more general forums we are debating what needs to change in the future game, which I refer to as MOOS – Myst Online: Open Source and others refer to by various other acronyms, which I think was started as a joke and I just happen to like. OSMO and OU are others and there are more, so don’t get confused.

Some of the more technical aspects of how the game might change in regard to network protocols, physics engines, where to enter the game, how new solo play verses MMO play are to be handled and thinking about what needs to change to help the current level of MMO player are being discussed on OpenUru.org. That subject is literally on all the forums. I happen to think GoW and OpenUru.org are making the most progress and that is opinion.

There is a game history. Check the section here on the guilds. The D'niPedia Information Archive is a great site for ‘official’ game canon.

Again welcome… and check out the discussion here and on other sites.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm 

If you want to know how to make ages, use a blender tutorial. They simplify everything and teach you how to use the controls. 8)

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:43 pm 

And since KT didn't provide a link to anything.....:lol:

Blender Game Engine Tutorials

This is a subset of the blender tutorials devoted to just the Blender game engine, and some of the most user friendly I have ever found. Don't take it to seriously and have fun playing with them, once you have gone thru them all you should have a good grounding on the basics of blender and how Uru works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:02 pm 

Sorry. I thought they could look it up on google. I'm not so good with links. :oops:

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 am 
Obduction Backer

If anyone is interested, some schools have programs on game design that are reasonably priced, and you can go part time. This is in my area, but there's got to be programs in other areas too that don't require a person to quit their day job.

Foothill College - San Francisco Bay Area Community college
http://www.foothill.edu/CTIS/index.php - scroll down for the game design part. California Community Colleges are a great deal.

San Francico State College of Extended Learning - Digital Media Production. More media than game.
http://www.cel.sfsu.edu/digitalmedia/

You know how it goes - sometimes people with day jobs and a little bit of time and money get serious about their hobbies. I've met people who play in bands (just for fun), and record music, that sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:11 am 

My personal favorite "Educational Thing" at the moment is a collection of "Meet the GIMP" instructional videos I found in the app store for free on the Itouch/phone. It may be a itty bitty screen size but it works for me and is improving how my stuff looks.

P.S. @KT No worries that's why I put in a lol I was surprised I got to put in a link to something educational. This is all there is involved in posting a link as something better looking then normal URL.

http://www.GuildofMaintainers.org (Blah looking URL link)

or

Maintainers (Better looking URL link)

Code:
[url=http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/]Maintainers[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:13 pm 

Grrrrrrrr...
The problem for me is, I'm only eleven (twelve this year) and I don't know ANYTHING about game codes and blender. The best I can do is make a .vbs file on my cousins computer that makes message boxes pop up or make the computer look like it's typing a message to her by herself and freak her out. :lol:
The only way I could learn how to make part of the game is to ask my aunt to go to college and learn how to make games which I EXCRUTIATINGLY DOUBT will happen.
Although, I guess that just being her helps, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Eleven, abelc? Really? I never would have guessed you were that young. You're awfully well-spoken for someone your age. So, right there, you've got that going for you. You could join the Subterranean Restorations group and help them write stories. And, what you can do to your cousin's computer is a lot more than many people here can do. So, I'm betting that learning to code will come pretty easy for you when you finally get the information. In the meantime, you could just hang out in the right places (GoWriters, GoMaintainers, OpenUru.org) and learn some of the jargon. And, finally, why can't you learn Blender? It's a free download, there are tutorials available, and it just takes a fair bit of patience to learn.

Anyhoo, I'm glad you're here. It's nice that we have such intelligent, well-spoken young people in our community. It's one of the things that makes us unique, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:37 pm 

Abelc: I'm 23 and I can't even do that much, but I have blender.
:cry: Just have fun with it.

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:56 pm 

wow, I am impressed by "abelc". Image

In all my years of posting, I have only met with three young genius.
abelc will be my fourth. :lol:

I have to tell the world about them. (again ! lol)

1- "Leonardo" from the Italian community.(well known at GoMa and GoMe. :P )
2- "Darnspiderchair" from the ubi community.(I used to call him General Spiderchair. :lol: )
(I would not be surprised to learn that he would be a US President, one of these days)
3- "theventure": We called him "The Romanian Lion". He learned english within two months
and we lost him because we could not follow him. He went through the Mysts and Uru games
like a red hot knife through butter. I do not remember him ever asking help for games.
Last time seen was at the ubi Prince of Persia forums.

Cheers.
Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm 

Artic_Wagon wrote:
wow, I am impressed by "abelc". Image

In all my years of posting, I have only met with three young genius.
abelc will be my fourth. :lol:

I have to tell the world about them. (again ! lol)

1- "Leonardo" from the Italian community.(well known at GoMa and GoMe. :P )
2- "Darnspiderchair" from the ubi community.(I used to call him General Spiderchair. :lol: )
(I would not be surprised to learn that he would be a US President, one of these days)
3- "theventure": We called him "The Romanian Lion". He learned english within two months
and we lost him because we could not follow him. He went through the Mysts and Uru games
like a red hot knife through butter. I do not remember him ever asking help for games.
Last time seen was at the ubi Prince of Persia forums.

Cheers.
Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
Thanks Arctic_Wagon! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Eleven, abelc? Really? I never would have guessed you were that young. You're awfully well-spoken for someone your age. So, right there, you've got that going for you. You could join the Subterranean Restorations group and help them write stories. And, what you can do to your cousin's computer is a lot more than many people here can do. So, I'm betting that learning to code will come pretty easy for you when you finally get the information. In the meantime, you could just hang out in the right places (GoWriters, GoMaintainers, OpenUru.org) and learn some of the jargon. And, finally, why can't you learn Blender? It's a free download, there are tutorials available, and it just takes a fair bit of patience to learn.

Anyhoo, I'm glad you're here. It's nice that we have such intelligent, well-spoken young people in our community. It's one of the things that makes us unique, I think.
Tai'lahr and Arctic_Wagon, you just made my day :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Quote:
It's nice that we have such intelligent, well-spoken young people in our community.

I'm up with that although it kinda sounds like a dis to us other un-intelligent, bad-mouthed old folk... :shock:

LOL...

Keep learning and contributing...I'm up there in years (in comparison) and remember making stuff on the 'ol Tandy puter' that at the time blew everyone away... Who knew? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:53 pm 

Blender is a lot more user friendly once you know about a half dozen commands.

Honest. :D

I am working on a Blender Tutorial that is perfectly legal for me to be working on in the privacy of my own computer; If that tells you which side of the line I am using as the source file for my tutorial. :lol: :wink: Once the basic model section is finished I'll ask if I can distribute that part of the source file along with the tutorial.

This is the biggest thing that Uru needs right now people helping to write stories, folks learning graphic artists skills, and yes people who can't use Pyprp stuck in a damb spot learning the modeling skills that are way more important then Pyprp when it comes to really building Ages.

damb = Dingo Ate My Baby

Face it when it comes to Age creation the number of Age developers that flunked out because of Pyprp far outnumber the people that managed the feat. Pyprp is the dingo that ate many baby ages. :cry: :roll: MORE later time for me to get to work.

P.S. Sorry about the pun. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next