It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Summary somebody?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 pm 

Hi!
I'm new to this newsgroup but not to URU. Is there somebody that can give me a summary of what is happening and status of things?

What about creating fan ages? What is Alcugs? Can I play fan created ages already locally? Can I prepare for release of open source URU? What role do the Guilds play?

Grateful for some kind of summary!

Thanks a lot!

/Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:57 pm 

Online uru, if you don't know what it is, is supposed to be a cyan-run online uru game, with ongoing storyline, constantly released content, and lots of players involvment. However, after 2 tries, for different reasons, this vision failed and the game closed down.

Now, however, the game returns in a new form. Cyan Worlds (developers) are giving us the game sourcecode. Which means we can now make our own worlds and content, stories, and open different servers.

Fan ages are made with a free program called blender, and with some other programs, if you choose to. If you are not familiar with 3D designing, it may be hard to learn, but it's your choise. Beside, the game is not all about making ages, you can also just play and explore. If you really want to help, but cannot really make an age, you can always suggest music, textures, storyline or just concept of the age.

The guilds orgenizations of explorers. The guild of writers make ages, the guild of maintainers test them for bugs, the guild of cartographers make maps of these ages, the guild of messengers deliever news to the community, the guild of greeters greet new people and help them with whatever they want, and there are also other guilds, like the guild of artists, who make... I guess pics and these stuff but I'm sure they do a lot more.

As for a question any new player asks ( :wink: ):

No, the game, as much as I know, won't cost to play. But I'm not sure.

Back to the point:

Can you play fan ages? yes, through the singleplayer game, "uru: complete chronicles". Though I'll recommend leaving it, so you can truly have fun in the online uru.

When should it come out? "spring time". Still waiting for any other news. But it *should* be soon.

If you have any more questions, ask. If you have any suggestions (seeing you are not new to uru, you probably played it and have some things you want to see in the online uru), you can suggest them here: http://forums.openuru.org/viewforum.php?f=15 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:20 pm 

Thanks for info, I appreciate that!

I know Blender a bit and I did play Uru with Gametap a bit. Is there some organized effort to prepare for this open source? That is, are people creating ages already that is to go into the open source Uru? Is this organized in the Guilds? Again, what part has Alcugs in this, if any? Is there some site where coordination takes place?

Lots of questions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:03 pm 

To play fan ages right now you must have either URU: Ages Beyond Myst and both the To D'ni and Path of the Shell expansions or URU: Complete Cronicles which includes both expansions.

The easiest way to proceed from there is to aquire Drizzle which is a collection of tools you can use to download OfflineKI (I believe it is required to enable fan ages) and the available fan ages. Instructions for both programs are in the links above.

Also, if you still have the files GameTap installed on your computer you can convert them using Drizzle and play them with OfflineKI installed.

Someone more knowledgable will need to tell you exactly what roll Alcugs plays.

While fan ages are already available, open source URU is not. The tools listed above simply allow the retail version of URU to access fan ages. The fan ages themselves have been created with unofficial tools and are not likely to be compatable with the open source URU until their writers convert them into the official format once it is released.

I would recommend checking out http://rel.to for URU related websites, including links to the Guilds. The Guilds were created to coordinate fan activities. If you're interested in creating ages, I would recommend joining the Guild of Writers. I believe I read an official announcement from Cyan stating the Guild of Writers, and therefore its members, would have exclusive access to the official age creation tools. Check out all the guilds and see what fits you best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:35 pm 

If you are looking for making ages for opensource uru (not for singleplayer), than you may wanna go to guild of writers website. They have whatever you want about age making. I'm not sure about online uru age making, because we are not really SURE how to create ages to the online thing. Though it should be close to the singleplayer creation. If you can do stuff in blender, and want to create an age for online uru, practice in blender, make a concept of the age, gather textures, music, sound or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:20 am 

I have written an Age Story with sketched out pieces of the Ages different parts and puzzles. I am trying to learn Blender as a way to create it for Open Source. Though I am uncertain as to how well Blenders graphics and codes would inneract with Open Source. My real concern tho is how are others creating Fan Created Art together contoling the content and storyline from getting hijacked from them? Any known joint or team efforts of an age ending with some aspects of it being taking over from original creator(s)? How does Cyan and their rules fit into maintaining licensing and controls of content? Will it be a free for all with some taking over others projects? Or will there be some conrols, limits or protocals in place?
Where can one find what the existing structure and blueprint for how Ages are done in conjunction with several people working together or even teams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm 

@Jahmen, you are asking the same question in another thread... no problem.
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=288190#288190

However, you might want to start a topic on the subject so all the answers can be in one thread.

The answers to your questions are spread all through the forum.
My response is here http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=288198#288198

If you are looking for absolute protection for your work, it does not exist.
Once you release the age, some people will likely abuse it.
There is a thread at GoW about allowing modification of fan created content. Your questions have come up before. There are no enforceable answers but several people have suggested how one might attempt to protect their work. There are lots of suggestions about how it should be done.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]