It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm 

Note, the reason so many sources are written in easy-to-understand english is because there's a large demographic who people in the united states who are non-native to english. It's annoying for some people, I know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

semplerfi wrote:
The USA Today is written on a 7th grade reading level. :P

Hmm !! are we doomed :?: :lol:

Is that the "current" 7th grade reading level, or as it was a few decades ago? :roll:

I've been noticing a huge increase in poor and bad grammar in print and online publications over the last few years. The local newspapers also seem to be relying too heavily on spell-checkers, which of course don't tell the operator if a correctly spelled word is the the CORRECT word! :x

Many of the "talking heads" on TV news programs are just as bad. At least some stations have figured out that there is considerable value in the "more mature" newscasters over the younger, prettier faces. They know the language better! :wink:

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Keep in mind your talking to a group that considers virtual journals and effective way to convey a story. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:49 am 

Teedyo wrote:
If the patent office personnel actually read their own guidelines on software patents; they'll see that this is totally frivolous and toss it out. Unfortunately, the average reading level of U.S. citizens is apparently not very high.

Actually, I'm hearing that a number of the workers at the USPTO aren't native English speakers. The PTO has been a stepping stone to higher-paying corporate jobs for a long time, and has a high rate of turnover.

The best answer, failing government spending what it should on skilled workers, is for interested parties to challenge the patent. Of course that doesn't always work, and it's expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 am 

semplerfi wrote:

No! Fortunately not. Low reading grades in journalistic publications is a good thing and something the writer should strife for. Care goes into making text evaluate at a low grade reading level.
Those measures are made with some of the readability indexing tools. And the classification has nothing to do with the level of the reader, buth rather the clarity of the text. Assuming the writer does not cheat to deliberately qualify for a lower (better) grade level on the scale. Yes! A lower grade level index a text gets the higher readability level it has.
The confusion with school grades comes from the practicality of using thease readability indexes to evaluate suitability of school litterature.
The thruth is that a lower grade reading level is always preferable. It benefits all readers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:39 pm 

Rudolfson wrote:
semplerfi wrote:

No! Fortunately not. Low reading grades in journalistic publications is a good thing and something the writer should strife for. Care goes into making text evaluate at a low grade reading level.
Those measures are made with some of the readability indexing tools. And the classification has nothing to do with the level of the reader, buth rather the clarity of the text. Assuming the writer does not cheat to deliberately qualify for a lower (better) grade level on the scale. Yes! A lower grade level index a text gets the higher readability level it has.
The confusion with school grades comes from the practicality of using thease readability indexes to evaluate suitability of school litterature.
The thruth is that a lower grade reading level is always preferable. It benefits all readers.

So Perhaps ...

The USA Today is written to the reading level of an educated 7th grader

Because lets face it we don't want to put the 7th grader down ...

Reading levels maybe one thing, clarity is another thing entirely :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:48 pm 

Sorry! In my post I said "nothing to do with the level of the reader" It should read "...level of the writer".

:oops:

Yes clarity is another thing. Replace it please with what I meant to say ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Teedyo wrote:
If the patent office personnel actually read their own guidelines on software patents; they'll see that this is totally frivolous and toss it out. Unfortunately, the average reading level of U.S. citizens is apparently not very high.

Actually, those three patents seem mostly okay relative to current case law surrounding 35 USC 101 at first glance (e.g., In re Bilski), which is a bit surprising since two of them issued well before both Bilski and the current PTO policy on method claims. The computer-readable medium claim in the latest patent seemed a bit off, and I probably would have rejected it, but it would most likely have been fixable.

The concept of software patents not being permitted in the US is essentially a myth - you can't claim a program directly (In re Warmerdam says so), but under current practice, you can claim software if you jump through the proper hoops while doing so.

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Actually, I'm hearing that a number of the workers at the USPTO aren't native English speakers. The PTO has been a stepping stone to higher-paying corporate jobs for a long time, and has a high rate of turnover.

The best answer, failing government spending what it should on skilled workers, is for interested parties to challenge the patent. Of course that doesn't always work, and it's expensive.

Well, I can't speaka for all of them, but I speaka da English quite well. ;)

Also, the EFF has requested re-exams of several patents already, and most of the ones that have been re-examined have been rejected. It's cheaper than litigation, but I'm not intimately familiar with how re-exams work or what's required to get one to happen.

(P.S. I'm speaking for myself on everything above, not the Office ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

It does sound like a company that wrote a patent after the fact and is trying to be retroactively proactive about their patent.

Teedyo wrote:

You know this for certain? You've tested all US readers and have evidence for this claim? The statement can't mean, maybe... "some/many" US citizens? After all, there are a lot of US citizens who come from other countries and are still improving their skills in the language. I myself would never say this so absolutely about another country since I couldn't possibly know for sure.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

ghaelen wrote:
It does sound like a company that wrote a patent after the fact and is trying to be retroactively proactive about their patent.

This is why Time Travel is so dangerous and should never fall into the wrong hands. First we have retroactive patents... then, the next thing you know, someone will bring a sports almanac back from the future and change history...

Er...

I think I just misplaced my flux capacitor...

What were we talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:21 pm 

Reverend Vader wrote:
ghaelen wrote:

This is why Time Travel is so dangerous and should never fall into the wrong hands. First we have retroactive patents... then, the next thing you know, someone will bring a sports almanac back from the future and change history...

Er...

I think I just misplaced my flux capacitor...

What were we talking about?

Time travel can also cause laps of memory ;- )

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm 

The patent system was originally intended to protect the individual inventor against “the man”—it’s evolved slowly into an organization which exists solely as a “get-rich-quick” scheme for scam artists, in my point of view. While there are legitimate claims out there, they are now far outnumbered by companies like the aforementioned just trying to make a quick buck off of someone else’s success—they’re jealous that millions of people use and know about Second Life, versus [how many?] of us have even heard of those other guys. I would rather spend my time creating a better-quality product without the flaws inherent in SL (or Uru, for that matter), than complain about someone else doing something that I already do, and being successful at it.

I like Uru much more than Second Life, of course, and think it has a lot more potential in many ways than SL has. I don't see Cyan trying to sue Second Life for fan-created content. Of course they would if SL imported Uru assets (which Cyan does implicitly object to, by telling fans not to copy/import assets into SL).

OK, back to playing Myst on my iPhone. Glad I was able to send a few more $$ Cyan’s way :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2