It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:52 am 

Nalates wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Any program for creating Ages will always require a knowledge of 3D modeling. The best that we can hope to do is to make a tool that integrates nicely with a 3D Modeling program to allow the handling of settings through a graphical interface.

Yes and no… For building in the Uru world it appears that will be the case. However, several of the existing MMO’s and developing MMO’s either have or are looking at ways to have easy content creation. THERE and SL have simplified content creation. It seems that is the direction things are headed. Since I think you mean knowledge of 3D modeling as is used in Uru now, I think that ‘always’ is quickly becoming inaccurate.

Not true, at least according to my interpretation of "knowledge of 3D modeling". Even gift-from-the-Lord-and-perfection-incarnate Second Life does and always will require you (or a team of people) to know how to properly fit things into a 3D environment and how and/or what to texture them in order to make decent content. I know several people who, while able to orient themselves to play 3D games, are unable to understand how to position objects in a 3D digital space. That knowledge is always going to be required for everything except something like Spore where creations are placed by the computer. At its core, this ability is almost all of what's required for a decent first Age (and if you need help, people can always wire the Age up for you). An idea, the ability to understand 3D space, and the ability to add textures.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:59 am 

At some level, quality vs quantity is about the systems and tools made available for doing them. But what of the groups behind what is being made? Quality vs Quantity” Or Quality and Quantity of Ages being directly linked to and effected by the reasons behind what ages are being created.
:arrow: A natural evolution seems to be coming about out of the very nature of Open Source Uru.
Cyan sanctioned Ages related with or to Uru and Non-Cyan division to making what ever you want and everything in between.
Some Fan arguments are; Cyan failed twice, so why look to Cyan now for Open Source direction and leadership. A Strong logical point.
I didn’t bring it up to debate the differences, but to make them known. Is there room for everything?
The Quantity of Ages might become more of the topic here, if the overall core fan base is not around to be a part of Open Source Age building. Something Non-Cyan involvement members uninterested in the overall fan bases needs, seem willing to sacrifice them for the independent agenda from Cyan. This, in my own opinion, opened the door for a New Guild System for the Overall fan base of Uru. I am not against fans and their creative freedoms to build Ages with Open Source away from the core uru themes. Nor am I against any who want a Guild System independent of Cyan influence. What I am for though, is a Guild System for Cyan approval and overall fan created Ages with a System more true to the spirit in which Cyan had in mind for Age building. There is building Ages of Quality and a Quantity of them, But I would like for most of them to be closly related with Uru. I believe in so doing, Open Uru has a better chance of success.

Maybe to another topic would be can both Cyan and Non-Cyan exist with in one Guild System or should they be sepearted out from from one another?

What sparked my Quality vs Quantity Post here.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 720#290720

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Jahmen:

It is probably down to my poor english skills, but most of your posts leave me with a rather unclear idea of what you are trying to say. Shorter, more to-the-point posts might help...

I'd mention, though, that contrary to what you call for, what I've seen indicates that you could VERY easily find plenty of Uru fans who'd say "HANDS OFF!", regarding non-Cyan-built anywhere-near core Uru content.

(I also think the size and potential size of the Uru community, is constantly overestimated)

An openminded philosophy always allows other philosophies to coexist - a closeminded one may not.
Anyone remains welcome in the (loosely defined and rather unassuming) GoW -- if they feel they are not, they may be imagining things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:32 pm 

@Jojon, its not your English. I have problems understanding too.

Quote:
Anyone remains welcome in the (loosely defined and rather unassuming) GoW -- if they feel they are not, they may be imagining things.

I find there are a small number of people that have odd ideas about the guilds. When one tries to pin down why they hold some ideas, there is no real basis they can provide.

I encourage people to question or challenge negative ideas in any of the Myst-Uru forums. Especially when it is about other fans and fan groups. Many write about wanting to unify the community. It is a 'lot of talk little action' thing in most cases.

When people have real issues they can usually be fixed. Imagined issues involve a challenge to ones beliefs and that usually draws strong emotion response. It is then a matter of how willing one is to debate it out and how open minded the imaginative one is as to whether it can be resolved.

@Jahmen, is there enough room? Depends on what you mean by room. The virtual world is infinite, so yes on that level.

Manpower wise, yes. Because each idea of how something is to be done is held by the one likely to do it.

Fan and participant wise... that likely depends on the cost to host a game server. If the game scales down to a home computer and connection then it is like the manpower issues and yes. If MOOS requires a commercial game server then may be not. But 2 1/2 yes's out of 3 is not bad.

The ideas on 'guild systems' is in another thread... I'm convinced you are seeing something in the guilds that is just not there. Try expressing your ideas without using the word 'guilds' because each guild is a small subset of the fan base. To change guilds you have to change fans. I blog about the nature of the guilds in Myst-Uru Guilds IC and OOC

Quantity vs Quality... I see that as an idea the fans split on regardless of the guild or non-guild group or no affiliation they participate with or don't participate with.

I see lack of good content and storyline as the single most important and complex issue to Uru's survival.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6