It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Springtime
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, spring is here at last. Do you think Cyan will get more specific on when they are releasing the source for Uru now that we are officially "sometime in spring?" April is a good bet I think. Thoughts?

KI #: 00465342

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:04 pm 

April's as good as any, but if there was a date set for it, I'd place any amount we'd know by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

A poem that was old when my grandmother told it to me...brought up to date...

Spring is sprung,
The grass is riz...
I wonder where the flowers (Uru) is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:38 am 

HOLD your horses, not spring here yet, the ground is still covered in snow :) I am sure Cyan is doing their best.

BTW, Ever heard my theory on how frost comes out of the ground?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Just kind of knowing how the stuff happens.....LOL

A date is a date ,,, gee she looks good...maybe i'll ask her out ... She says maybe tomorrow ,,,,,hmmmm.... I'll ask again then..... Then I figure out that tomorrow may mean another date....hmmmmmmmmmmm.....I call and EXPECT a date.......good luck sucker.............................................................................Hopefully, I'm wrong....URU LIVES!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 am 

The thing about Cyan is that when there is good news or at least things look hopeful news dribbles out. They are like anyone and enjoy making people happy.

When things are not going well and things look gloomy we never hear anything until the axe or shoe or whatever drops. No one enjoys giving bad news. Especially when there is the possibility of a surprise. So, if it looks glum but yet things might turn around, it gets quite.

/me listens for crickets

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba wrote:
A poem that was old when my grandmother told it to me...brought up to date...

Spring is sprung,
The grass is riz...
I wonder where the flowers (Uru) is?

It looks like somebody beat you to it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

As I have posted in a few other threads . . . . Cyan is not holding back any info, because it's bad news, they are just really really busy trying to finish Myst for iPhone/iPod touch, As Chogon posted. . . . . that needs to be done first before they can move forward with Uru. The business of game development, is generally unpredictable especially where dates are concerned, that is true with ALL the games I have ever waited for. . . . they are moving along with Myst but have more to do, so give them time to finish that and try to be patient (fat chance I am sure LOL) . . . . . :lol:

"have faith my friend" . . . . now tell me . . . . can't you just hear Atrus saying that ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm 

I believe it can't be THAT hard to post "things are fine, we are working".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee, we've both been around here for a long time, and whenever we got no news and no news, it never turned out well. I can't count the number of times one person got upset with another person for not having faith - and the person who didn't have faith - they were right. Why is it different this time?

It very well may be different this time (and that would be great!), but if you look at the evidence, that's not generally been the case.

So yes - a message would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am not upset, just stating what I consider to be the facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:53 pm 

And what about uru returning, mszv? I will call the major.

Look, being positive is good, but we also shouldn't be too much positive, we shouldn't get out hopes up, as we were disappointed many times. However, we shouldn't be too much negative, mutining against cyan and uru and whatnot won't help but bringing down moral.

Saying the negatives are always right is just being over negative. I've heared many say gametap won't return the rights to cyan, and they did. And I bet it was the same with uru returning through gametap. So personally, I won't get my hopes up, but I also won't get all grumpy about stuff.

And of course, I will be more than happy for an update- if not about uru, than about cyan worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 pm 
mszv wrote:
Mystdee, we've both been around here for a long time, and whenever we got no news and no news, it never turned out well. I can't count the number of times one person got upset with another person for not having faith - and the person who didn't have faith - they were right.

Yes, I remember that as well. Of course what I remember is that the people who didn't have faith went around saying very loudly that there was no point having faith, and that's kind of what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy in a situation where the more people are supportive the more likely something is to happen. So the people who did have faith had a certain amount of reason to be upset.

Fortunately, this isn't one of those situations. Cyan aren't relying on numbers (having learned that they can't) and so they will do what they will do no matter how many people cry doom or call krap. They have said they will release open source software to enable us to run Uru online, and I believe they will. Which, if I'm right, will be one case of a naysayer being proved dead wrong. And there only needs to be one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am not upset and folks have the right to think what they think, but I just voiced my own opinion.

My Opinion is not based on what has happened in the past, it is based on what we HAVE been told, This time. . . . and that is that the Uru Open Source project will happen when the Myst for iPhone is done, that takes prioity, and well it should.

Being one of the fortunate testers on the iPhone Myst project, I see them working late hours and weekends and it looks to me like they have prescious little time to be with their families, and/or just relax and have a life. . . and I expect when they do have a little time they go HOME and don't think:

"Oh wow, I have a few minutes, maybe I should post in the forum, that we are working on it, so the fans don't worry"

I don't think I would do that, and don't think they should either, That's where my opinion comes from. They are making progress on the Myst project but there is still work to be done. . . . . 'nuff said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I have faith that Uru will return. Actually, I feel like it's never really left as long as the community is still here, but I mean online where we can all gather together again. My faith resides in the people of this community and in the people at Cyan. Not Cyan the company which must do what makes the most business sense, but in the Millers and others there who have invested so much of themselves in Uru that they can't just let it die. I believe they are very much like us when it comes to our love for Uru, and that sustains my faith. Additionally, I believe they have faith in us, the community - well, they must if they're planning to hand it over to us.

I know the waiting is hard, but for me, having faith that Cyan and the Community will bring Uru back is not hard.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next