It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm sure this post will bring a lot of speculation, but with all the speculation as to the timing I thought it necessary to ask the next question...When Open Source (part 1) is released to us, has anyone a clue as to how soon after THAT we might see an actual working URU? I'm sure a lot has to be set up, weeded out, shards set up and all that..So the actual question seems to be...Are WE ready to implement URU once it is released as open source?, and, how long will it take us to get it ready for the public debut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gandhar wrote:
... has anyone a clue as to how soon after THAT we might see an actual working URU? I'm sure a lot has to be set up, weeded out, shards set up and all that..So the actual question seems to be...Are WE ready to implement URU once it is released as open source?, and, how long will it take us to get it ready for the public debut?

The $64,000 question :wink:

The short answer is (at least for me): don't know. There hasn't been much information distributed about what is required to build the source and assemble it into a form that can be installed on server(s) and clients.

That being said, there has been some discussion about this at OpenURU.org. I've set up a build foundry (a set of machines with the tools to build executable programs from source code) and as many pieces of prerequisite software as I can imagine are needed. It can be linked directly to a source repository (of various flavors) to automatically pull the source code into the foundry and publish the results of a build.

We've also been collecting some project management tools that will help when we can look at the code and try to divide up tasks to various teams or individuals and keep track of their progress.

Finally we also have a Wiki set up to start collecting and/or writing documentation about how to build and install Uru components.

All of these pieces will be available to anyone who wants to participate in the building and maintenance of Uru components.

That is as far as the folks contributing to OpenUru have gotten, and as far as we can go for now. There are undoubtedly other groups also assembling resources to do similar work.

_R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good answer...So the fact that we don't have the source code TODAY is a moot point because there are still several things that need to come together AFTER the initial release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

rarified and Mac_Fife have been doing fantastic work supporting the evaluation and use of resources and tools for community use at OpenURU.org!

To the point of the question - I assume, like most (all?) open source projects, binaries will be immediately available. That means for most things - up and running faster than DNS can propagate. ;) With all the experience out there and servers already in place, less than a day, maybe hours - if even that. If you want to make your own special little changes to the code, and know how, slightly longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow - what you folks have done, over at the Open Uru site - very impressive.

Big round of applause!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6