It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

On leadership - think Zardoz said all the good stuff first - I just repeated what he said about leadership.

Along with leadership through experience and knowledge - it seems more than that. Once other members of a team come on board, I'd think they might want to change your story, your age. I think that's the really tricky part - why would people want to do the detail work, the technical work, and not want to design the age and the story? That's the thing to think about. Now, if you trading off - I'll do some detail work for your age, if you something for mine - something like that - that seems more workable.

Anyway - I'm on the outside, so I don't know. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:29 am 

Jojon, Insightful post that brings to light the mine field ego’s can be. Your post demostrates how a balance of proper encouragement and flexibility can be used to maintain order. Order seems to be important for all those involved in doing an Age build together. I liked how you pointed out that while to much structure and rules can be to restrictive and troublesome, the other side of the coin to not having enough “Do what ever you like” can be as equally disastrous.
The information being posted and gathered in this thread is really starting to help give a good general outline for thing to consider and watch out for when forming a team. Getting a team together is one thing. Keeping it together to the completion of an age build is another. So it would seem.

Quote:
There are ways of resolving conflicts within a group of equals. In situations where two people insist on duplicating work, maybe one could, for instance, state right away: "Ok, if you can't cooperate, you guys go at it and then we'll have a team vote on which we'll use, or which parts of which". I wouldn't mind hearing what sort of experience people have on getting jobs that are more boring than others done.

I loved this example for which to resolve 2 team members wanting to do the same task.

My Summary: It seems to me, correct me if I don’t have it right, that the team leader must be the most humble, inspiring, but fair of the team. The diplomat who puts out the fires with compromises as they arise.
To much ego, rules and structure can kill an Age build. But on the other hand, not enough firmness, rules and structure can also. It becomes all about the balance of equality and recognition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

It depends on the people; individuals and composition. I lean heavily towards "do whatever you like" and even a large a group of people with great synergy, should be able to do just fine, completely without a parent type figure to help mediate. I suppose you can't always get this, though, it may even be rare, but with time, people are likely to recognise whom they've enjoyed working with in the past and factor that in, when shopping around for projects to join.
It may be prudent to hold off any close-to-heart ginormus project plans until we have more co-op expericene, unless one opts for the top-down approach and manages to find workers who tolerate that.

As long as everybody have respect for eachother, I think conflicts shouldn't be too hard to stifle, though - with primadonnas it may be a different matter. Oh and "respect" has *nothing* to do with submission or fear; too many people abuse the word, with: "wespect my authorithay" type statements, or "obey peon, or I'll have you whipped", as they might just as well say.

You can even think that people are idiots and respect them, as long as you recognise that you are people too. :9

To shift the discussion to the actual creative process; as the Verenia guy suggested, it is almost certainly well worth working out, early on in a project, a concensus on a comprahensive synopsis and style guide for the age, before investing too many hours of labour. I don't, however, agree that this should, at this point, necessarily be done with as few people as possible and urge an openness to "run-time script changes", as work progresses.

Frankly, it kind of sounds like that project started out with one of those "Oh, an age with floating islands in the sky, yeah!"-type mental visions, that we've all had at some point, believing we've thought of something original, whereas in reality we're probably all dredging it up from childhood memories of the same picture in some book. If such a "mere scene" in one's head is the whole concept and one start amassing talent and building stuff, before fleshing it out more, it is not too surprising, if there soon turns out to be a lack of focus.

I think there is something to say for let's-see-where-this-goes type building, but then maybe one should have that in mind from the outset. For "regular" age building, planning ahead, with solid groundwork, would seem paramount.

Ok, I've just written yet another too-long-didn't-read post. I'll shut up now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:36 am 

To say my piece I think planned teams will fail more times then not, same goes for lone wolf idealists.

:lol: The current generation of "Developers" are not going to miraculously change unless there is no other choice.

I'm holding out hope for a Cyan colored future. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:15 pm 

MustardJeep Posted
Quote:
To say my piece I think planned teams will fail more times then not, same goes for lone wolf idealists.
The current generation of "Developers" are not going to miraculously change unless there is no other choice.

I believe he is probably right. 8) Perhaps change for the better will come about over time, but is won't be miraculous.
It will come from what it has mostly always come out of . . . FAILURE! :oops: With enough failures, teams & some individuals will learn (Trial & Errror mostly) Those who do teams will eventually develop better ways to set them up and run them with the right balance of flexibility of rules and ideas necessary for completing Age Builds.
While I can only speak for myself in my thread here, I remain hopeful that something positive and useful for those wanting to team up will be developed here. With time, I hope this thread will post some positive experiences, links and outlines being tried, used, that have some positive degree of success. Even if small things of use.
It is easy to be negative and shoot down others who try to do something positive for other explorers. :twisted: Even if you don't always agree with what others try or suggest in their posts, not posting negative or distracting comments can be the best thing you can do.

MustardJeep just pointed out the most likely outcomes we might see at the start of Open Source Uru. Not necessarily the norm, after things get going though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:37 am 

Yes I have hopes, but this time around I've decided on a different track to follow.

There is a old quote from the D'ni books that sums up my feelings rather nicely, but I will not say it.

1. If you want a good team start with your friends.
2. Learn from a Game Mod community setup and run by a Game company for their game.
3. If all of your friends are out of high school but not yet retired spend more time on planning; If they are all retired or in high school be more accepting of their designs.
4. Accept the mistakes no one likes to admit, and build a small test age outside of Uru if you can't build it inside.

There are hundreds of little truisms but these four are very important to me and how I see Uru's future. They all revolve around one pitfall that every wannabe "Writer" stumbles into from time to time; nobody knows. If you want to keep a group moving forward you have to acknowledge when something slips into "Blue Sky" territory, and be willing to leave it there in deference to everything else you can still do.

Post subject: Re: Master Guild
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:45 am 

I have shamelessly neglected the initial effort in this thread I started to help build and provide some ways for explorers to get organized in Age building. :oops: My efforts to this end became far more grandiose in taking on a project for creating a Master Guild. :shock: Obviously something that will take enormous time and effort. I have a draft outline to it all and have been working out the details. I have undertaken to better educate myself to the task and have been reading up on building Web Sites for Dummies as well as some basics in learning HTML, XHTML & CSS. I felt before hiring the professionals to help me build it, I should understand the basics and lingo. :roll: I well imagine it will be met with intense controversy and outright attacks, hacks, etc... No matter, I believe it will provide what is missing and its core elements may well be adopted. The proof of any innovative and new ways of doing something is how easily and quickly users can adapt to its use and functionality. Acceptance comes from simplicity of use and adaptive change to improve upon. I expect great resistance on a social, political, power struggle of turf perception at first, but eventually those who balk the most will come to understand that there is a place for them even better than what they had before, because the benefits are to obvious to ignore..

Post subject: Re: Master Guild
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:54 am 

I have been bouncing around the place taking pictures of various interesting natural textures I encounter in anticipation of new Age building. I'm considering licensing them for free use in OSMO projects.

Post subject: Re TEXTURES for FREE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:22 am 

Ed Oscuro posted:
Quote:
I have been bouncing around the place taking pictures of various interesting natural textures I encounter in anticipation of new Age building. I'm considering licensing them for free use in OSMO projects.

For the sake of clarity Ed, bouncing around the place? Place being in real life or graphics world? Natural textures being from real life picture references or again, graphics world renditions of natural textures found bouncing around? I ask because picture taking can be done in real life and in the graphics worlds. Licensing textures for free to Open Source use suggests they are your found and created textures from real life pictures converted into graphics use. Could you post where they can be seen and obtained from or you could upload them to the “textures” made available at the Guilds. The offer is a good one and is appreciated. Building our library of textures for use in creating Ages is a must. Thanx :D

Post subject: Re: Re TEXTURES for FREE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:24 pm 

Real-life textures - trees, rocks, and so on, plus some artificial things.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2