It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:48 am 

Quanto Solo wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. But no fighting please. As long as there is no 'no charge using this code'-rule applied to the Open Source license it could happen anyway. But I think most here wouldn't want lots of split servers.

Actually I understand the ones opposing the idea of money to the fans, wouldn't want to profit on it myself, it feeels wrong. There could be a no profit policy for server networks. If the incoming funds more than cover the running costs of the servers the excess money would be donated to Cyan, using the adoption system. The only ones really have to live on money from any Myst game would be the guys at Cyan after all, and if they can the better for us, too.

Server network. Several servers forming up a network hosting one connected world. Here is a flaw of the idea of game account fees or donations going the the server hosts because it means no single server host but many (hopefully). Who would get the money? Possibly the server for entering the world. But still.

I'm not trying to start any fight, just sadly stating fact here :)

Some of the community have their heads in the sand to the problems we are about to face, I just want to get the job done.

I think cyan are not going to release anything until we get our act together and get organised.

At the time I was last around it was clear, to me at least that, the majority of the "community" wants to return to an Until Uru style game, where players/groups are fractured across servers.

Technical issues are the reasons that have been cited for this, but again I think it’s the elites pulling against change, as other MO’s manage to provide a decent service with the technical ideas that have been brought forward for Uru.

A user group idea was proposed, that has been very successful in FPS areas. Personally I would like to see that work as it puts a group in charge of infrastructure and it lets people communicate with a single source for problems and issues.

Funding and donation problems would then be solved as the cash all goes into the user group for support.

The other thing to remember is that we would initally be providing a user base for hundreds not thousands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

I personally don't think us getting organized has anything to do with Cyan releasing the code - it has to do with their time and resources. What Cyan committed to is having a place for people to grab the open source code and a place (server) for people, presumeably people running the servers to grab the ages. Whether it's 100 people grabbing it,or 10, doesn't seem to make much difference.

I think that no one is going to do any consolidation until they see the "lay of the land". You might see groups of people coming together and running one shard (instead of twenty) after they see what it takes to run it and how it make sense for their groups of players to come together.

On the making money - something we'll also have to see. Personally, I think that it might be possible to take donations, but to require a fee - that seems like a leap for me. My experience has been with some popular sites requesting (and getting donations) by reporting on their site how far along they were in getting the costs to run the site.

Just my idle speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the Shards of past had a good idea:
If you want to help them with their servers, you can donate to a PayPal account, but you don't have to.
Money goes strictly towards servers and maintenance, and any extra money would either get refunded or put in the pot for future use (i.e. Server X costs $20 a month to maintain, Month one they recieve $50, month 2 they recieve $30, and the next 4 months they receive nothing, but can still afford costs from donations).

I think though, that idea-info is overstepping the original plan here.

I for one was thinking only of the adoption/donation/investing going towards Cyan and that's all. And keeping it just that: Donation. So far, it looks like people are taking this as a "Cyan-Changing-Infrastructure on how they make money", and that's not what I'm thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry, random and a bit off topic but those server costs you posted are ridiculously low. I couldn't help but laugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2