It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:44 pm 

Hello, I've been a Myst fan for many years: I have all the games (including Uru: Complete Chronicles), I've read all the books, etc. When Myst Online: Uru Live was running a few years back, I didn't know much about it and never played the online version. Now, though, I hear that Cyan will be making it open source - this excites me a lot, as I've always loved Myst and its worlds; creating my own would definitely be something I'd like to do.

So, how would I go about doing this? I hear that the source code is not out yet, but I hear of people creating Ages and publishing them already. My question is: If the source code hasn't been released, how are people doing this?

Also, people on the forums are talking about how they're playing Myst Online: Uru Live, entering user-created Ages, and making their own. But I thought Myst Online: Uru Live was shut down over a year ago!

I'm very confused. I have the supplies to make my own Ages, but don't know where to start. Do I need to download Myst Online: Uru Live to do this? If so, where (on this website it still says it's unplayable)? Do I need to have been a member of Myst Online: Uru Live before it got shut down in order to play it now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 pm 

The confusion is a time and 'how to' thing...

Open Source will give us the 'official' tools to make ages and run MMO servers. Until then there are the 'hacker' tools that were used in the days of Until Uru. These run in free Blender, a 3D modeling and animation program. These are the tools that are being used to build ages for now. Look to the Myst-Uru Guild of Writers (GoW) and their wiki for all the how to's.

Those play the game and are visiting fan created ages are doing so using Complete Chronicles (CC). There are tools and instructions for importing ages from fans and even other Myst games (if you have the CD/DVD's or GameTap files). Again see the GoW for help getting these things working. Also, take a look at the Myst-Uru Guild of Maintainers (GoMa). They mostly do age testing but have some tutorials on texturing and programming. You can also previews of ages that are not 'released' because they are way Alpha version.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm 

Hello! welcome! :)

Quote:
So, how would I go about doing this? I hear that the source code is not out yet, but I hear of people creating Ages and publishing them already. My question is: If the source code hasn't been released, how are people doing this?

Ages are made for the offline game, uru: complete chronicles. I'm not sure how it's done, you may wanna ask here at the guild of writers forums (can I give a link?). Obviously it's not as fun exploring fan-made ages with friends, but that's what we got, for now.

Quote:
Also, people on the forums are talking about how they're playing Myst Online: Uru Live, entering user-created Ages, and making their own. But I thought Myst Online: Uru Live was shut down over a year ago!

No one is talking about playing MOUL now, because as you know, it's down. But as for user created ages and making ages, that's most probably for the singleplayer game.

Quote:
Do I need to have been a member of Myst Online: Uru Live before it got shut down in order to play it now?

Nope. Just start an account.

Yes, MOUL is now donw so no one can play it. But as you know, they are releasing the source. It's gonna be a lot of fun. If you aren't too impatience, I really, really recommand waiting for online MOUL to come up. It should, soon. And you came at a good time- with iphone myst being a success, uru may be released very soon :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:19 pm 

Thanks; I'll check on the Guild of Writers. I guess I just assumed people were talking about Myst Online: Uru Live when they talked about exploring user-created Ages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:21 pm 

Well, they did, when they meant "in the future".

ah well, I hope you will still check out online uru...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:28 pm 

It says I need to download Drizzle... Is that legal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:31 pm 

Welcome to the Mystonline forums terakay.

We have such a thing as an "All links in one post list".

Have a look ...
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=246974#246974

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

terakay wrote:
It says I need to download Drizzle... Is that legal?

No Drizzle is not legal,
Discussing this is against the forumrules.
But I am sure there are other places to talk about this.
I am sure the url Artic Wagon did provide, gives enough information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 pm 

I have never played any of the mist games until I downloaded the iPhone release of the original. It is a lot more fun than I anticipated and I am looking foward to being to use my own character in uru live!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah and welcome to the Uru Community, Mr. Goodcat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:32 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Shorah and welcome to the Uru Community, Mr. Goodcat!

Thank you very much! :o

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]