It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:18 am 

Is there a way to save/play Minkata and other Myst Online only content offline? Maybe the open source project can release an expansion pack with Minkata.

Last edited by hyeok on Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:06 pm 

There is no offline version of Minkata, pods, and Jalak Dator. MystOnline will be back soon. Why do you want an offiine version of those ages anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:24 pm 

Even if there is, it won't help for an expansion to minkata. This can be done only when we get online uru source code (soon enough).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:26 pm 

If you have the MOUL data, you can use Drizzle to convert them. Since Cyan still hasn't chosen to accept these harmless tools, the Guild of Writers is the place for discussion about it. You can get it here and get support here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christopher910 wrote:
There is no offline version of Minkata, pods, and Jalak Dator. MystOnline will be back soon. Why do you want an offiine version of those ages anyway?

Heh, heh. Well, many of us just miss exploring those ages... and some are more impatient than others to revisit familiar territory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or just to get tuned up once the open source is released and we have to remember how to do it all over again in order to help the thousands that will flock in... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 am 

OH NO! Don't help them! You'll ruin them. It is like with kids. Parents think they should help them at all odds, and so they ruin them. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:17 pm 

Hey! U like Minkata? Well there is an option for you.
Eder d'URU in Second Life has a pretty decent version, including kivas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:34 am 

Regardless whether the open source code is ever released -- and I'm not holding my breath -- I would love to have an expansion pack that updates URU:CC to MOUL (latest April 2008 version) -- including partially reconstructed Ae'gura, Minkata, Jalak, pods, Delin, Tsogal, calendar sparklies, Bahro "doughnuts," extra Relto pages, etc. I also wish my avatar could jump as high offline as she did in MOUL.

Post subject: Minkata
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:08 am 

Susa'n Wrote:
Quote:
Regardless whether the open source code is ever released -- and I'm not holding my breath -- I would love to have an expansion pack that updates URU:CC to MOUL (latest April 2008 version) -- including partially reconstructed Ae'gura, Minkata, Jalak, pods, Delin, Tsogal, calendar sparklies, Bahro "doughnuts," extra Relto pages, etc. I also wish my avatar could jump as high offline as she did in MOUL.

I so Totally Agree! :D I do actually miss this stuff. Wouldn't mind a romp around Minkata again for old time sake.
Might have to go to the Writers and get Drizzled to regain those things. Hopin Open Source comes before I get around to it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 pm 

Susa'n wrote:

Oh GOSH, YES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:50 am 

Great minds think alike, atleast as far as not holding your breath goes. I think you can forget about a expansion pack like Path of the Shell and To:D'ni were to Uru Ages Beyond Myst. I've looked at Drizzle and even begun putting it to some uses it's creator would hopefully cringe at, but neither it nor Cyan's Dev Tools are a path to upgrading Uru Complete Chronicals.

It's a can of worms with a million and one hack arounds but it boils down to Cyan upgraded things for Myst Online Uru Live.

What most people are wanting out of a Uru:CC "Upgrade" is what should be the MO:UL Development Enviroment. There will be nay sayers bent on the virtues of continuing down the Uru:CC road, however it is much more possible you will be able to download the shard software / client, and play solo on a shard of one. At the least that is what I am planning on. However it works out I think Uru Complete Chronicals will finally be put to bed if even the barest possible version of Open Source URU happens like a Open Source project should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:24 pm 

To improve or not to improve...

And is an improvement an improvement or a corruption...

Things in MO:OS will have to change in some ways. The '03 Uru Live is not likely going to be popular with the current generation of MMO players. Having to redo ages is not all that popular with long time fans. The '07 version has storyline problems. Uru was changed for GameTap to meet the demands of newer MMO players. Some mix of the two or some new solution will change how the game is started.

Things like Minkata... that are Cyan created ages are likely to be hands off, as least from what they said I suspect that.

However there are Minkata's being built and experiemented with. One has a soccer field... well goals in the sand. Not much of a real soccer field as I think of them. But one can play soccer there. I have.

Remember. We have a voracious appetite for content. To reduce that appetite some are looking at what other activities we might bring to Uru to entertain players. Soccer is not a bad option.

While we may not be able to change or modify Cyan ages, we may be able to create link points that are on other parts of those worlds. So, a fan may create a very Minkata like place with different features and puzzles and things to do. Minkata would be a great Pepsi Place... We won't know until we see the Cyan license for use of their MOUL content.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm 

Quote:
To improve or not to improve...

As far as Minkata goes improvement is a for gone conclusion since there is a nice thread filled to the brim with additions for it. People need smaller goals to reach for in regards to level creation then jumping into the deep end; So many end up hoping they can master building levels for Uru faster then they burn out trying to learn how to do it all. There is a world of difference between doing things that violate the ToS and working on additions to Ages.

For places like Minkata about the only resource that Cyan would have to allow people access to for making additions possible is the ground mesh. No puzzles, no textures, not one single bahro etched rock. A true "Addition" just needs the ground so it can be loaded in smoothly to the existing landscape with as little a seam as possible.

Quote:
Having to redo ages is not all that popular with long time fans.

I'll agree with you but also go as far as to say "rewriting" Ages isn't very popular among Fan "Writers" or Cyan's "Writers" either. :roll: If someone starts filtering newer MMO elements into Uru a lot of people will either be pleasantly surprised, or horrified. Which ever license Cyan releases Uru under to developers is only going to effect how fast and how easy it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I was only able to explore the ages for a month before Gametap took it off. I'm very, VERY happy i made a backup of those files...and now i'm happily adding them to my relto.

Well, one's been added, but i'll add ages after i've completed "The Journey"

Sadly, i miss my cache of beer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next