It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Myst for Mac?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:16 pm 

:?: I wonder if it would be possible to run Open Source Myst on the mac? Or maybe if theres a program out there that could run it for the mac? I do have a great PC so it's not a major thing, but I just bought a REALLY nice mac and I think Myst would look stunning and run smoothly on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Can you explain what you mean by "Open Source Myst"? As far as I know, Myst is not open source.

If you mean the upcoming open source Uru: We don't know yet. We can hope that there will continue to be a Cider-powered Mac client, as there was during MOUL, but since Cider is a proprietary commercial product, that may not work out. In the more distant future, we may be able to develop a native Mac client.

If you mean the original Myst from 1993, or Myst Masterpiece: There are some convoluted ways of running it on a current Mac using emulators or Windows, as I wrote here. I can provide more details if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:50 pm 

:) I'm assuming that you are talking about Open Source Myst Online: URU :)

I'm waiting for the source to see what work needs to be done to make it work, I have mac programming experience but am not yet really into Cocoa etc... (Still mostly carbon!!!) But lets wait and then decide. There are frame works like WINE and Mono that will give insight into recoding from Windows APIs it's the 3d and physics that may prove to be the biggest challenges.

I think so I program!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm 

I'm afraid the only Mac port for open-source Uru is going to have to be either a virtual machine or Boot Camp (or a natively-recompiled OSX version, of course.) Cider is licensed on revenue sharing and I doubt Transgaming will be interested in sharing the returns on a free game. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 am 

:) Sorry I meant Open Sourced MOUL. Thanks for answering my question though. Hopefully maybe in the future there will be a program to run MOUL on the mac. I'm not too keen on using Bootcamp or Virtual Machine as I know some people that have had problems getting games to run for some reason. Do you think there's a chance that it will be available on the mac once the Source code is released?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm 

I think some of the Linux users experimented with it running with WINE. From what I remember reading the incompatibilities were few, but made it hard to play. However, with the source code I think someone mentioned they should be able to make it WINE-playable. The good news to that is that there is a port of WINE for OS X. :)

WINE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Do I think there is a chance? I do. But how big it is, I'm not making any guesses at this point. A few people, myself included, have announced interest in working on it. Whether we will arrive at useful results in time depends on how much work and how difficult it will be, and that's hard to judge until we have the source and the licensing terms.

Getting it to work on WINE may indeed be a worthwhile first step before starting development of a native client. I don't know if anyone has ever tried MOUL on WINE on Mac OS, but given that Cider descends from WINE and that Uru:CC works quite well on some versions of CrossOver, not much may be missing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]