It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Grant me the strength...
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:08 am 

I have CC, completed it and loved it. But when Uru Live was shut down, I swore I wouldn't revisit the cavern until I could do so with all of my friends.

It was easy for a while. I had plenty of schoolwork to distract me (still do, actually). I had other games (yes, I love those too). I had friends and a 21st birthday (those who remember tell me it was great).

But then Myst was released for the iPhone...

I'd waited for so long. Ever since it was announced, in fact. I loved the idea of my favorite game on a platform seemingly made for it. It's splendid, but has one side-effect they don't tell you about: it's pushed my longing for the Cavern to a near breaking point.

I still want to wait for all of you! I still want to save my first footsteps in those dusty halls for the open source release! But I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:09 am 

Here is my suggestion Andrew Eldred.

Try holding your breath for 2-3 minutes and you will learn that you
will miss "air" way more than Uru Live. :P :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Awww, Andrew. Most of us who avoid the cavern only do so because we can't bear the loneliness there. But, if you're comfortable with it, then by all means, get the ULM and begin exploring the player-created ages. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:50 pm 

Also, be clear about your desire to be with friends... If you want to see friends then...

THERE and Second Life have good sized Uru communities. Neither is Uru and none of the replications are going to fool you. But I have danced with friends standing on top of the machine in the Great Zero.

Many Uru fans are playing in one or the other. The social part of Uru is very much in SL. I suspect the same is true of THERE, which is more family oriented. However, SL is changing the PG/Mature ratings and adding an Adult rating, which means it will be come more kid friendly some time this year.

The Guild of Maintainers has sections for both THERE and SL. There is a information about SL in that section on what SL is like and how to hook up with friends.

The UAM/ULM tools give you a good way to visit the 'real' Cavern. THERE and SL are good places to meet up with friends.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

With all respect, we now by now that SL and There do have communities.
But this is not the subject here.
And even if it looks like the Cavern, it is not the Cavern.
It would be great if we can have a thread without SL or other platforms.

It is so understandable that the community asks for the Cavern.
We are all longing at it.

It is fine some ppl find an alternative for it, but please leave the SL and There out in these discussions.

Thanks.

Last edited by veralun on Thu May 21, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:54 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The Uru community is working hard in other realms to maintain itself for the purpose of keeping Uru relevant in our lives. Your request, therefore, is supremely unreasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
The Uru community is working hard in other realms to maintain itself for the purpose of keeping Uru relevant in our lives. Your request, therefore, is supremely unreasonable.

We all know that the community is working hard to keep the dream alive and we know there are alternatives, but that is not the point here.

It is also reasonable to stay on topic and try to respect a persons concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:21 pm 

I've been hopping over to a plague riddled Age where people are "Left4Dead" taking it out on poor defenseless zombies......

Twenty min there with other people and like me you will not want to go near your computer again for several hours.

It doesn't do a thing for missing Uru, and even makes you miss the people there even more, but you will not want to go near your computer. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:39 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Andrew Eldred wrote:
Suggestions?

Visit the Uru community where it is living and breathing now, if friends and community are what you are after, and your resistance to a lonely Cavern will not be futile. See what they are doing in the meanwhile to keep Uru relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 am 

Since the initial post was about missing friends and wanting to see them... I think my post was on topic.

I suppose that there might be even more fans in Guild Wars but I have no idea. It is a huge thread on Uru Obsession. But I don't know how Myst like an environment one could have in GW. I have not heard of any Myst places there, but I'm not into GW I only keep meaning to visit.

Where are the majority of Myst fans? How would Andrew find them? Those seem like on topic questions considering the initial post.

Several Myst-Uru fans are in EVE, WoW and other games. It would seem reasonable and on topic to clue Andrew in on how to contact them.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
And, once again, our respective filters have us interpreting a post in various ways. :lol:

While some of y'all saw Andrew asking where he could find members of the community to hang out with,[spoiler=I saw him asking for our blessing and releasing him from a promise not to go to the cavern until his friends could go with him](Actually, what I really saw was a veiled attempt to ask for directions to a shard.)[/spoiler]
Only Andrew can set the record straight by clarifying his post for us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm 

I would LOVE (and I repeat) LOVE to get into the Fan created ages... unfortunately, IT WON'T WORK ON MY COMPUTER. Until the cavern reopens, I'm stuck in CC... :evil:

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
And, once again, our respective filters have us interpreting a post in various ways. :lol:

While some of y'all saw Andrew asking where he could find members of the community to hang out with,[spoiler=I saw him asking for our blessing and releasing him from a promise not to go to the cavern until his friends could go with him](Actually, what I really saw was a veiled attempt to ask for directions to a shard.)[/spoiler]

Comment on spoiler
Cant blame him their but unfortunately this is not the place to ask I tried

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:42 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:

Although I am thankful for the heads up on the Second Life community, and I'm planning on checking it out, this is more what I was asking... though now that school has started up again, the workload has made this question fairly irrelevant. Everyone wins?

[spoiler]I didn't even know there were shards in operation, so that's not what I was asking. But... that's interesting, if so. Are they running UU code, or something? Or are we not allowed to talk about this? You can go ahead and ignore this if it's against the rules.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Andrew Eldred wrote:
[spoiler]I didn't even know there were shards in operation, so that's not what I was asking. But... that's interesting, if so. Are they running UU code, or something? Or are we not allowed to talk about this? You can go ahead and ignore this if it's against the rules.[/spoiler]

If there were such things running, it would no doubt be against the rules since the official server was taken down and it would require unauthorized modifications to make one run without it. That's all hypothetical of course.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next