It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:23 am 

If you hook up with friends... wherever... its a win.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:59 am 

Nalates wrote:
If you hook up with friends... wherever... its a win.

Truest statement yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:26 pm 

Its good to Know Uru Live is open somewhere,

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:02 pm 

Deledrius wrote:
That's all hypothetical of course.

To be honest, I've found things in some forums. I will admit that they are slightly vague, but from reading the posts you can drift to a conclusion.

I wouldn't so much call it hypothetical, more fact, just a diffrent kind of fact.

Rather odd really that they would use the code even though the legalities of it where never resolved, I wonder if they are maintaining it at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:19 pm 

As I posted in the technical thread, my husband and I just got a laptop, I tested it with URU:POTS last night.

I went into the neighborhood ... it was a sad experience. Nothing but a lonely fly buzzing around a light. No Bahro calls. Just eddie the beach ball, who has his own built in prupulsion, kick him once and he floats all over in odd patterns for a much longer time than would be expected. The Heek table is smashed. I was sad ... all I could think of was the song that young Scrooge sings in the Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol:
"When you're alone, alone in the world
When you're alone in the world
Blown-away leaves get blown in the world
Swirled-away leaves get swirled.
A hand for each hand was planned for the world
Why don't my fingers reach?
Millions of grains of sand in the world
Why's mine a lonely beach?
Where are the heels to click to my clack?
Where is the voice to answer mine back?
I'm all alone in the WOOOOORLD!!!"

Yep, it was sad. I didn't link in much with everyone when it was live. But it was fun when I did. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
FloCat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 am 
I have friends in a number of online locations, as well as in real life. I am very much blessed in that way. What I miss about Uru Live is Uru, and there really is no substitute.

I hope, as others have said, that when the Cavern reopens, all my friends from Uru who have made homes elsewhere will want to return, and that the way the game develops will allow us to see each other again. I fear that some will have become disenchanted, tired of waiting, will have moved on in their lives, will be having more fun where they are. It happens.

So Andrew's post is good news for me, because it means someone else feels the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:12 am 

Sometime ago there was a meeting in SL and people attending were asked about whether they would return to Uru. A small percentage said they would leave SL and return to Uru. A large percentage felt they would continue to live in SL as they have found a new home but would visit Uru.

There is no doubt some may never return. The questions with MOOS are too many to have good answers for and to paint a realistic picture of how it will be. Still, I think most are confident that at some point there will be a MOOS server with MOUL and fan content. What thaty may grow into is pure speculation at this point.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:17 am 

I remember someone said Thend said he won't return. It seems the refuge- turned into a home. And no, this isn't good, not for Uru or the community or whatever.

Can you ask Thend if he comes back or not?

As for me, I'm not really looking for some online "environment". Uru is built out of a game, and a community. As for community, this forum is enough for me, I don't have to see the avatars to say "now the community is alive". As for the other part, I'm still waiting for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:35 pm 

Thend is on hiatus as he works on his next project. While I get to talk to him now and then and his project hopefully completes this month, I won't try to speak for him. When one talks about what Thend said I suggest they try to decide what Thend meant by 'return'. Also, consider what he was looking at for a direction for Uru growth. Talk here of growing in that direction is not popular.

I suspect he will look in on Uru from time to time. He and many of us in SL see the gaming community moving ahead in several ways. The ability for a player to have more effect on the environment (say build ages as just one aspect) and have things to do (I can blow time shopping and putting together outfits, others hang with friends at Lucky Chairs and contests, attend dance contests (with US$1 to $150 prizes - real money you can spend in RL), go to fashion shows (buy the clothes and wear - virtual), attend music concerts with live RL music and the RL musicians playing SL avatars, do karaoke with other Uru fans, play chess, checkers, race cars or planes...) other than just what the age writer adds is an important step forward. Look at Devokan, which is becoming what I think is one of the cutest builds in SL-Myst style. Channelwood is beautiful and with some Windlight tweaks is gorgeous. These things are the state of SL now and rumors from insiders is amazing changes are coming (NDA's mean only hints are leaking out). My opinion is MOUL is behind. MOOS will now have to catch up.

Those involved in SL will have a hard time giving up the features of SL for a MOOS without great hair and clothes. I like my room in Minkartah in the shabby hotel on a pretty island and my neighbor that lives in a garden with a discrete Tardis for a home and another with a tree house home. I think of visiting MOOS as visiting the middle east from America, forget tight clothes, short skirts - like above the ankle, sleeveless blouses... ok to visit, not a place to live. One may love the place... and want to visit often. But like visiting an X, the experience reminds one of why life is better life elsewhere. While still caring, valuing and having sentimental feelings... I would visit but not move back.

Things change and what MOOS will become not what MOUL is/was is what is going to decide whether people return and stay. Whether the community grows and advances MOOS with game technology and expanding play, not just ages, will decide what many fans do. Advancing and preserving a feel is going to be trick.

The Myst movie, now more likely to become a reality, will bring many new fans. I think like GameTap many of the new people will not be the type of people that came from the solo-play Myst games. Again we will see a change in the flavor of the community. This too will affect how many of the old timers stay and/or return.

We are also a growing community here. Have you looked at the member list? 28 people have joined in August, as I write this. There are now 14,098 members. I would say a good percentage of the 749 that have joined since 1/1/2009 will be wanting to visit a new MOOS server and Uru. Actually the 1250+/- that have joined since MOUL closed are all good candidates to show up in MOOS. So, there may be a good sized crowd in any event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
He and many of us in SL see the gaming community moving ahead in several ways. The ability for a player to have more effect on the environment (say build ages as just one aspect) and have things to do (I can blow time shopping and putting together outfits, others hang with friends at Lucky Chairs and contests, attend dance contests (with US$1 to $150 prizes - real money you can spend in RL), go to fashion shows (buy the clothes and wear - virtual), attend music concerts with live RL music and the RL musicians playing SL avatars, do karaoke with other Uru fans, play chess, checkers, race cars or planes...) other than just what the age writer adds is an important step forward.

(emphasis mine)

Funny how people think different about gaming... There's a lot of social stuff in Second Life, but it was always my understanding that there weren't any game elements. That's what Uru made different in my opinion. Uru was a game in the first place! And while a lot of "social stuff" enhanced Uru, the core of Uru was in the game and its story. You on the other hand says there are game elements in SL and you mention all kind of things that I don't see as game elements at all. They're all fake replacements of things that could be done in real life in my opinion.

Well, as long as people like what they do... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unless the new ages have puzzles and other game elements, I'm not seeing new "game" elements in Uru either.

Online worlds (to me) consist of several things

- simulation. It's as if you were in a physical space. You walk, run or jump in it, interact with other people, those kinds of stuff. Uru was a nice simulated world, incredibly lovely, but not a lot to do, from a simulation perspective. People did make their own fun, with the small number of tools available - LCs radio shows were really nice.

- the game stuff. You solve puzzles to unlock the story and open new areas, fight monsters (other games, not Uru), all that. The game part gives you a purpose, and as you do it, you get to access new things - areas, get new stuff, unlock part of the story, all that. Uru had stuff to do from a game perspective, but this was severely limited. People got through the age content, really fast. Then we are left with the simulation part, the being in the world.

I think of Uru as being a great virtual world (beautiful, evocative), but limited in both the game aspects and the simulation aspects. What can I say - it's an older game (though still lovely) and Cyan never did an online world before - old story.

The thing about Uru coming back - Cyan Uru will be what we already have, nothing new. I don't know if the new ages done by the community age creators will have lots of stuff to do, or are mostly exploring - being in a new world. Even if they have stuff to do, I can't see an idea of progression - though, perhaps we will progress, in terms of new story done by the age creators. At this stage of Uru, I think of online Uru as more of a simulation game than anything else, but I could be wrong. Perhaps the ages will have game content that lets you advance in an age, progress in a story and uncover all kinds of stuff.

But I think that it's all OK. In my opinion, some people will be in Uru a lot, some will visit a little (perhaps they will be in other worlds), and some won't come back. I still think it will work out. As long as like minded people get together on the various shards - I think it will be fine. I don't think you'll need a lot of people to have a positive experience in Uru. You sure can't make people do what they don't want to do - if people want to come back, they will.

Now if Cyan could only officially release the source code!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:03 am 

Game elements... may be we are thinking of other things. If you have not played in SL you may not realize it was designed and intended as a game development platform. So, all the possible elements are there.

Devokan has a story being developed and posted on the GoMa forum. Eder D'Uru is a massive cooperative Myst-Uru style build with new guilds, sparklies, hunts, puzzles and ideas. MadPea has developed a number of what I call Myst style games. Some of the 2003-4 UL fans built Numkulla (sp?) which is a large puzzle age for exploring and solving puzzles and figuring out the story, very Uru like in the nature of play. What Makes Virtual Worlds Successful

The problem is as mszv points out, what there is to do in Uru is very limited and thereby creates a high demand for content. The shopping and dancing are things people do while waiting for new content. Since they happen in world, I see them as game elements. We had dancing in Uru. Was that not a game element? Did that not add to player fun?

I think the keep Uru-as-the-old-Uru idea is what many see as a reason it will only survive as a small UU like virtual world. Thend thinks that needs to change as I do. That won't keep him or me away if it does not change. It just means we are some of those that won't be coming back to live in Uru... we'll be visitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't forget that Uru was never meant to become a static world where people could go alone to reminisce about the old days and try to remember what it was like when the puzzles were new and mysterious. It was intended to be a living, thriving, online community with fresh stories, a community with leaders and guilds that would take care of the management of the community, and eventually the ability to add our own worlds that we could share with the community.

There's no need to go into the reasons that didn't happen, but I just wanted to point out that the Uru folks in SL have taken that ball and run with it, and are doing amazing things. Perhaps the visuals "aren't Uru," but the community factor definitely IS Uru - or at least, what Uru was meant to be originally. I spent some time there, and was deeply impressed with that they've done. Think about it - for many of us, one of the things we enjoyed most about Uru was simply linking in and hanging out with friends in the hoods, the Takotah Plaza, etc. We'd just stand or sit around and be friends. Not much gameplay involved there, really. Our Uru friends in SL have recreated that ability. There might not be much gameplay there, but we'd all pretty much exhausted the gameplay factor in Uru, and we still linked in often.

That said, I'll apologetically confess that I eventually drifted away from SL. But I often think of returning to see what's happened in my absence. Gameplay or not, and Cyan-quality imagery or not, the community is alive there. And that was - and is - the real strength of Uru.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:22 pm 

I don't think that the idea of Uru as a complete MMO, as they tried in several places in Uru, can't work. What I think should be done is making the game singleplayer, while making the 'hoods online places, and making some sort of an in-game "live" system, which allows sharing with friends, chatting with anyone who isn't around you and so on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2