It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: I Don't Get It
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:50 am 

Ok, so I have been reading all these posts and I'm sorry to say. I still don't get it. Open Source? Meaning that we will be able to use everything the original creators did to create the ages to create our own, and then host them for others to visit. Is that what it means. I don't get it. And these codes, what are they for. It seems to be the thing everyone is waiting for. I miss the cavern like everyone else. I palyed all the Myst's and Uru Live, all the way up until the end. I was standing right in front of Yeesha and the Bahro. But this technical mumbo jumbo is hard for me to understand. Plain words. will Uru Live be back, and will there be more ages that are added to our Relto's book shelf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am 

Okay, it's time for Anaerin's quick'n'dirty Uru primer.

Uru live is not running at the moment. There is no client to play with, and no servers to play on. So just why is everyone excited?

Well, Cyan has announced that they are going to be releasing Uru as open-source software.

What does this mean?

Basically, all software is made from "source code". This is what the developers write. This is then taken by a compiler, and made into the machine code that computers run.

Uru was previously released as "Closed source" software. That means Cyan kept hold of the source code, and only released the machine code. So while you could run the game, you couldn't make any changes. This is how a lot of software is released, for example, Windows, Office, that kind of thing.

There is a second way of releasing software, however. This is called "Open source". In Open source software, you release the source code (and optionally, a compiled version of the machine code), so anyone can compile and run their own version, and more importantly, anyone can change it. This is how Linux and FireFox are released.

Big deal! I don't care about all that technical junk, I just want to play!

Well, this is good news for you, too. Because not only are Cyan releasing the source code for their client (Uru), they're also releasing the source code for the live server. You can pretty much guarantee that within hours of the code being released, someone will have a server up and running to play on, and a client to download so you can play on it. I'm sure someone will be compiling copies for anyone, even people with no interest in changing the game software, to use.

So I've got to wait until Cyan release the source, then wait for someone to set up a server, and wait for someone to release a compiled version of the client so I can go play, right?

Exactly.

Sounds good. Will there be new ages included?

At the moment, we don't know exactly what ages will be released. Hopefully there may be a few ages that were being worked on at the time Live was shut down that we can play with. But for the foreseeable future, there will be no new ages released by Cyan.

No new ages?!

Hold on there, sport, that's not quite what I said. I said there would be no new ages released by Cyan. But, as we will have the source code, it means we (well, talented developers) can write our own ages. Some have already done so (have a look at the Guild of Writers - They have all the info you need to get these "new" ages and start playing them with your existing Uru:CC installation), and it's just a matter of updating those ages to work with the new client. And, with the unprecidented access having the source will allow, you can expect even more new ages to play as developers get the hang of the tricks needed to really make their ages sparkle.

So, can you sum all this up for me?

Sure.

Is it Uru yet? Not yet, but soon™.
Will there be new ages? Yes, but not right away, and more than likely not new Cyan ages.
How much will it cost? Nothing.
Why isn't it here yet? 'Cause Cyan are busy, and don't have the time, manpower, or money to spend on making it available. It's pretty much a side project, but that doesn't mean it's not being worked on.
But I want it now! So say we all :) Patience is a virtue, it'll be worth the wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:33 am 

We should sticky this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Sensei wrote:
We should sticky this.

Amen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:10 am 

Anaerin, are you schizophrenic? :shock:

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 am 

Anaerin wrote:
Is it Uru yet? Not yet, but soon™.

ROFL - When soon becomes an ever lasting term, trademark it :-D

Very good, sticky-worth post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:22 pm 

Perhaps we should start looking at using Valve time to set expectations, or even our own time scapes for a bit of fun ;) :P

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Rock on cyan, OS Uru sometime in the future though, yeah ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm 

Unfortunately there is no entry there for "Soon". It does show Cyan's not the only one who can't keep to their timetables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:25 pm 

Thank You Anaerin!!!

However, Is this writing of the ages all technical mumbo jumbo or can I do it right now too? And I don't see a lot about ages being actually created.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Check out this link, dinger: http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/gomaw ... /Main_Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 am 

OOOOO...thank you that helps.... Now tell me are these like full blown ages or are they like little cubicles you load into and are stuck in. Are there any that really stick out to be puzzling and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:19 am 
Obduction Backer

DarK wrote:
Perhaps we should start looking at using Valve time to set expectations, or even our own time scapes for a bit of fun ;) :P

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Rock on cyan, OS Uru sometime in the future though, yeah ?

As long as we don't end up with a 3D Realms type of Soon...

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:53 am 

Yeah, these days "soon" is everything and nothing, it the word of 1000000000 meanings, it may mean tomorrow and in 200 years all at the same time.

You never know what the "soon" may mean this time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:29 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
Unfortunately there is no entry there for "Soon". It does show Cyan's not the only one who can't keep to their timetables.

"Soon" is in http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... Valve_Time

Quote:
Very soon - One week later

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 pm 

Well from my experience, Cyan's soon means at the very least 3-4 months if ever. I wouldn't hold your breath for Open Source Uru.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next