It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:41 pm 

Oh my god! Thank you so much. I am so sorry for sounding like an idiot in the other post. I think I am going to delete it now! That made everything so clear. I am going to check out the Valve timer and relax that I haven't missed anything yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:48 am 
Obduction Backer

OK - here's my question.

Will we have to play through the original 4 ages in any of these new incantations of Uru? I remember that after Uru closed the first time, someone had figured out how to save the game with the original 4 ages completely played and with rain in their Relto - the only "problem" was that you had to continue playing using their avatar.

Having been with Uru from its very beginning (years ago now) I really don't want to have to play through those first 4 original ages yet again - having to do so would be a game-stopper for me. I am really really really tired of doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Since the game is basically starting from scratch, I imagine you probably will.

I don't know how anyone can get tired of Teledahn, though. :D

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:53 am 

I'm tired of it too, but sadly there is no link between open source online uru and any other uru, so it's impossible NOT to do it again.

But here's a tip: try new things. Solve all of the journey with others. You may find it really fun. Or, help new people solve their journeys. Or just hang out at the ages and don't rush on the journey. I did that, and I always liked going with friends to teledahn, or er'cana, or anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 am 

On that note, and obviously this is jumping the gun, it could be quite fun to be able to have all Ages public - although I dunno how that'd work out on the "classic" Ages unless they could be tweaked for multiplayer (as only one person needs to / can do one thing at a time, i.e. Teledahn conveyor ride). I know it was done; never saw it firsthand and didn't figure out the puzzle aspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 am 

Ah... I don't know, I think most ages should be singleplayer. Exploring the desert, or teledahn, or gahreesen with many others can ruin the feeling. I have some public ages, and invite people to my private ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:03 pm 

A new server and a new vault means players will sign up, create new avatars and replay. However, it may not be the replay you may expect or even necessary to reply. Consider;

Where to Begin Myst-Uru
May Contain Nuts
The Cleft & Descent

So, the game we see as MOOS may be different than what we knew as MOUL. Many feel we lost much of the story in MOUL. Many also think a UL start in the Cleft as a solitary explorer while preserving the story will not work in the new MMO world. Some think Yeesha was a disaster for MOUL and a kludge for weak game mechanics and would like to see her go away. Many see the DRC as a problem and others a must have… Some want Relto to go away and be replaced by homes in the hoods…

The point is while you are likely to see an initial almost exact MOUL released as MOOS… one will also see variations. My impression is a GoW team will open a shard with MOUL + fan ages = MOOS. Others will take some more time and open shards that are REVISED MOUL + fan ages = MOOS. Of course how much we can change the MOUL part depends on the license Cyan gives us. And there are a number of people that are testing Myst Style spin offs free from any restrictions.

Wake up. We have all heard enough posts about, ‘I won’t play if….’ There is so much thinking going on and many fan ages being created that WILL NOT require replay of all the MOUL ages that MOOS is likely to be very different experience. IWPI posts show one is unaware of what is happening in the Uru community.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you everyone for your responses!

What I hear is that no one knows what anything is going to be - and no one will know until the source code is released.

Hopefully, when the code is released, someone will figure out how to create an option for those (few) of us who are really really really tired of having to start at the very beginning again.

I'm sorry if some of you are tired of hearing the "I won't play if ..." posts, but some of us have to set limits in our lives (especially those of us who are older now). I, for one, at 59.5 years of age, no longer see as well as I once could, don't hear as well as I once did (I now have hearing aids), don't react as swiftly as I once did, can't move my fingers as fast as I once could (thanks to arthritis in my finger knuckles), & am not as patient as I once was (& no longer enjoy doing the same game movements over & over & over as I once did). These aren't excuses - they're simply the facts of my life.

WAKE UP. You too will one day be older. I'm sorry I even decided to read these forums.

And as a side note - what is MOOS and IWPI? Could someone explain what they are in English?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:33 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Ah... I don't know, I think most ages should be singleplayer.

Then don't play them multi. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
And as a side note - what is MOOS and IWPI? Could someone explain what they are in English?

MOOS is fan lingo for Myst Online Open Source

IWPI is an abbreviation for what Uru fans will do when the open source code release is announced: I WET my PANTS INITIALLY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:32 pm 

I Want Pie Immediately?

But really it was referring to the "I Won't Play If..." posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
Wake up. We have all heard enough posts about, ‘I won’t play if….’

Every time I see one of these I agree with you... yes you will, posers, you will play regardless, and you all know it. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3