It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm 

Sadly, this is true. I'm not holding my breath, just... waiting. And waiting. Not that there is much uru-things left to do (I can't make ages... or anything else...). Could the open source be an exception?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 pm 

Those tired of waiting went to other virtual worlds and started playing and building Myst Style worlds. If for some reason Cyan does not release open source those builds will continue.

Alcugs is another possible way for fan ages to be served to a multi-player environment, that gs standing for game server. But then there are questions about the client side. Plus Cyan content would be a problem. Read about that at aclugs.

There is a very good likelihood Cyan will release the open source. So, some have chosen to wait. As you can tell the WHEN is problematic.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Last edited by Nalates on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:49 pm 

dinger045 wrote:
OOOOO...thank you that helps.... Now tell me are these like full blown ages or are they like little cubicles you load into and are stuck in. Are there any that really stick out to be puzzling and such.

For a puzzle age with an underlying story, try boblishman's Sonavio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 pm 

Another good one for lots of story and puzzles is Takla Makan. I took more notes for Takla Makan than I did for Myst 3, in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
ddb174 wrote:
I took more notes for Takla Makan than I did for Myst 3

Well, now that's probably one of the best reviews a player-created age can receive! Makes me want to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:32 am 

By the way, I've made a walkthrough for Takla Makan (it's not as good as Itep Edor's walkthrough in German, though), and it's on Takla's page. I see I missed it again, but once again, I do *not* recommend the GoMa links on how to play Fan Ages. It is broken in multiple ways. The recommend and supported way is on the official page, along with screenshots and walkthroughs for every fan Age. I should almost make this my signature by now :P http://alcugs.almlys.org/UAM/Ages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

dinger, if you want a bunch of different smaller Ages with everything from scenery to puzzles with a story, try Ahra Pahts.

And the instructions for getting the user-created Ages to work:
http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... 117&t=1282

Note that if you've installed Uru to your Program Files folder and are using Vista, you'll have to set the permissions for your install folder to allow "Full Control" and make sure "Special Permissions" is set to allow too. Otherwise, you will get an "Access Denied" error whenever you try to install fan Ages. Also note that if you wish to use flymode you must install it BEFORE installing ULM or Drizzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm 

KT wrote:
Anaerin, are you schizophrenic? :shock:

What makes you ask that, if you don't mind me asking. I always thought schizophrenic was more or less a split personality, kinda like Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde. Two AV names I was planing on using but have always been a bit reluctant cuz of the implication and stereotype they carry.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
KT wrote:

What makes you ask that, if you don't mind me asking. I always thought schizophrenic was more or less a split personality, kinda like Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde. Two AV names I was planing on using but have always been a bit reluctant cuz of the implication and stereotype they carry.

I believe he asked that, more than half jokingly, because my explanation post seemed to be coming from two different people, talking and arguing amongst themselves.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not schizophrenic.
Neither am I.

Glad we've got that sorted out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:24 pm 

OK we where just wondering, :P :D

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
KT wrote:

Not to destroy the joke or anything, but for the record, schizophrenia is quite different to multiple personality disorder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:43 am 

getting back on topic :oops:
The new age's are definitely worth checking out, and I do hope to see some of the Fan Created Ages in the live version,.
I cant wait to get together with some friends and have a Fan Created Age Safari

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's a question that's been bugging me...

Since it's going to be Open Source...does that mean that it will be free, or at least without a monthly fee, like a buy once, keep forever deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:39 pm 

BlaiddDrwg wrote:
Here's a question that's been bugging me...

Since it's going to be Open Source...does that mean that it will be free, or at least without a monthly fee, like a buy once, keep forever deal?

That would be up to whoever is maintaining the server you connect to. With it being open-source I don't think Cyan will be charging anything. Of course, all of this is up in the air with the project right now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Dinger -

I've been into Uru since Day One, but it wasn't until just recently that I got around to sampling some of the User Ages that have been built so far. I've been very impressed. What I've seen bodes well for an open-source Uru - this community includes some highly talented folks who have written some astonishing worlds. Some are large, some are small, some have puzzles, most don't - but they provide new places to explore, and allow us to enjoy Uru without seeing the same familiar (but still gorgeous) scenery yet again.

Stay tuned, this could be very good.

Mowog

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next