It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:23 am 

I know a lot of you have talked about "donations" and what not and the pros and cons of it all. Obviously it would be awkward for Cyan and more trouble than it's worth. So, here's an idea. Since Myst Online's end and subsequent stall/open source "preparations" were due to lack of funding, there may be a way to support Cyan and indirectly support Myst Online:

Buy Myst for the iPhone! Even if you don't have an iPhone, it's an easy way to throw some money Cyan's way. You can still buy the app. All you have to do is download iTunes, sign up for an account and buy the program in the App Store.

If you do have an iPhone or iPod touch, don't forget to leave a rating and comment for the program to demonstrate your support to other iTunes customers.

This is no endorsement for Apple or its iTunes store -- I don't use Apple products. I know maybe some of you may have qualms with Apple and their business/developer stance (I know I do), but as of right now, it's the easiest way I can think of to show Cyan your support. Now, I don't own an iPhone and I know Apple gets some of that money, but at least it's something. I only hope that it's not only taken as an incentive to make more iPhone apps. Ultimately, Cyan's success with that product probably has more to do with new players to the franchise. However, I'm sure some of you feel like you're in "Myst Online Limbo" like me. So, get up and do something! Money talks!

I hope this post doesn't seem too spammy. If it runs against the rules of this forum, please delete it. My intention is only to help Cyan and fans of Myst Online.

Return to Myst Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:02 am 

Well said magaio. I agree completely. :D

I believe Apple takes 30% but it may actually be less than this, certainly not more. That means that at least 70% of the purchase price goes to Cyan. This is a much better deal than they are likely to ever have gotten from any publisher in the past. And even though the purchase price is low, iMyst has already outsold any Cyan product since Riven, and is still one of the top selling titles in the app store. This is the most successful product Cyan has had in 10 years.

I don't have an iPhone either, but I bought a copy. Everyone should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:49 am 
Obduction Backer

subumbra wrote:
I believe Apple takes 30% but it may actually be less than this, certainly not more. That means that at least 70% of the purchase price goes to Cyan. [..]

Now I'm interested: Where do you get such an information from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:27 pm 

Doing a quick search bring ups this: Link

"Apple isn't likely to derive much in the way of direct profit from the business, Mr. Jobs acknowledged. It is keeping only 30% of the proceeds from application sales -- about enough to cover expenses from credit-card transactions and other costs of running the online store -- while the programs' creators keep 70%."

I can't seem to re-visit that part of the article after going through Google, but that percentage is accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:00 pm 

subumbra wrote:
I believe Apple takes 30% but it may actually be less than this, certainly not more. That means that at least 70% of the purchase price goes to Cyan.

Apple does take exactly 30%, but Cyan does not get 70%; since iMyst development was funded by Sunsoft, they get a significant share (rumored to be about half, i.e. 35%).

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:29 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Tom Sowa, Spokesman Review wrote:
Revenue from the sales will be divided three ways, with Apple getting about 30 percent, and the rest split between Cyan and its Japanese partner, SunSoft.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/tx ... ostID=8964

If you take the literal word of the article and assume "split" means evenly (50%/50%), and it means actual money and not other payment or investment forms, Cyan and SunSoft each earn about 35% of revenues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:26 pm 

I'd rather just send Cyan a $10 bill in an envelope.. They get 100% and I get no Apple stuff on my computer... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

SCGreyWolf wrote:
I'd rather just send Cyan a $10 bill in an envelope.. They get 100% and I get no Apple stuff on my computer... :P

Seconded :)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:13 pm 

Perhaps if they had someone to sponsor their Open Source project, in exchange for advertising.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:31 pm 

I'd still rather send the cash. That's better sponsoring than ads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:52 pm 

I was scrolling down the thread and as thinking surely cash in a brown envelope gets it 100% to cyan the only problem is it throws 100% temptation in the path of the person opening the mail.

I have voiced it before and say it again Cyan open a pay pal account for donations and I am sure the community can find it in their gift to sponsor at least one full time developer if not more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:17 pm 

well they said they would not take donations because their not a none profit organization, but Open Source is being done for free, and an investment is not a donation.

I have seen small family operations sell stock to friends and family before, but you will never find them on wall street..

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I bought the Myst for iPhone/iPod Touch. But first I bought an iPod Touch for my me ... I mean for my wife for Mother's Day. We've played quite a few apps on it, but I've really enjoyed playing Myst on it. I was happy to provide this small token of support for Cyan.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:52 pm 

If they don't want donations, then don't call it a donation. Just tell me where to send the money.

I didn't get to play it for long, but Uru Live was my favorite MMO ever, and the only one I ever considered paying for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 am 

Volfram wrote:
If they don't want donations, then don't call it a donation. Just tell me where to send the money.

I didn't get to play it for long, but Uru Live was my favorite MMO ever, and the only one I ever considered paying for.

Perhaps if someone sponsored the open source project.

E=mc2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next