It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:56 pm 

greendragoon wrote:
That would be a trick as Gahreesen was part of Yeesha's journey and the wall is not immediately accessible. But that does get me to thinking, Jalek would actually make a pretty good public age. Although we might have to change the link in point to something other than the field of play. Don't want to have to stop the game every time a new spectator shows up to watch.

Their is a perfect place for bleachers on all four sided off the board, the link in point can be between any of the four sets of bleachers, or on top some where so you can see where their is a place to site right when you link in

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:28 am 

Nalates wrote:
Its possible but a question. What we can do with Cyan ages will depend on what Cyan writes into the content license.

I would assume the scripts would be released with the source. Can't really build a release package without 'em. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:34 pm 

SCGreyWolf wrote:
Nalates wrote:
Its possible but a question. What we can do with Cyan ages will depend on what Cyan writes into the content license.

I would assume the scripts would be released with the source. Can't really build a release package without 'em. :)

You can build a release without most of the python scripts.

While the game engine does not do much without them, you can pull all the relavent age python files from the game and the python sections will fail without "interupting the game".

interupting the game = without crashing out the engine with an OS exception.

There are some requirements for certain files to exist that are called from boost, however age specific files are not that critical.

The Wall python files fall under the catagory of age specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:44 am 

DarK, I don't really understand what you're saying.

It seems Cyan is going to write an open source license for the Plasma, the client software/engine and the the server software.

They have also expressed that they want to control the storyline for cannon parts and the Cyan created ages, the content. We don't get to turn Yeesha into a Peace Corps volunteer or a furry. Bahro can't start eating people. But in making these restrictions what unintended ideas will be restricted?

While we can speculate that Python used in an age is part of the client engine, it comes down to how Cyan sees it and chooses to write the license. As yet I don't think we have any clear idea what they are thinking in this regard. If they place the wall scripts under the content license we may not be able to 'legally' change them. I hope that is not the case.

Cyan has said some of their content will be released. I think many assume that will be things like the AV's and their animations, and probably the Nexus and may be the bevins. But again we are speculating.

There are numerous unthought of consequences they, Cyan, may try to address. If AV animations are not controlled then would undesirable Second Life behaviours start to creep in? SL has loads of AV animation we will NOT want in Uru. So, what will they write into the license?

If we can change the scripts controlling an age, we could make significant changes to an age. Will they allow that? They may just prohibit it altogether. Or they may require Cyan approval first. Or we may allowed to create a separate branch of the age... or something we have not thought of yet.

Many of us assume the license will something reasonable and useful. OpenUru.org had discussions on how to change the MOUL start to something more like '03's Uru Live but keep some aspects of easy access to multi-player areas as GameTap required for their use. That is going to require we be able to change some ages and tweak the story line. But we are making big assumptions in those threads.

We can dream but so far I have not seen where we know what we can do.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:45 am 

The wall malfunctioned badly in several ways "even" on D'mala. If you think that the Python is the only thing you will need to change to make it work, I believe you are in for a serious disappointment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:57 am 

a bit off topic but if its all speculation at this point and the Wall may be a bit unstable, how about a Soccer feild I have been thinking about this one for a while now and as far as the AV's go you may not hafta change anything with the possible exception of the Goalie all you would hafta do is build the feild,

we already have a soccer ball

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Adding in a soccer field age would be pretty simple. There's no fancy mechanics there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 pm 

DarK wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
Nalates wrote:

You can build a release without most of the python scripts.

While the game engine does not do much without them, you can pull all the relavent age python files from the game and the python sections will fail without "interupting the game".

interupting the game = without crashing out the engine with an OS exception.

There are some requirements for certain files to exist that are called from boost, however age specific files are not that critical.

The Wall python files fall under the catagory of age specific.

The scripts are what make the ages work. Otherwise all those repsonders and everything are just tags like HTML. It would be hard to fix or update the KI, for example, if we don't have the script for it since 90% of the functionality of it is not artwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:18 pm 

The stranger wrote:
As much as a know, the age was nicknamed "Garrison" because it was close to the real name, and because it really was a garrison..

Except that it is not in fact a garrison. At best, it has some garrison-like qualities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Following on to Tesseract, a garrison, by definition, is a facility for billeting of troops and storage of weapons, usually fortified to repel attacks. We've seen no weapons in Gahreesen; only an entrance and powerplant complex where visitors passed through security to gain access to the elevators that would take them to the upper deck, and from there to the main building which contained fitting areas for Maintainer suits, the Wall, "luxury boxes" where opposing teams could program the Wall and view the proceedings, and prison cells in the upper levels. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the place was used for. Perhaps what we're seeing is a simplified version, as has been said of Myst Island, and the actual place would have been quite a bit more complex. If Gahreesen was used by a Guild of Maintainers that had diverted from their original mandate to become a form of secret police, one can understand the security, and I think that this was Yeesha's main reason for taking us there - to show how the D'ni had resorted to this sort of activity in order to control their Ages, and perhaps their own people, with an iron hand.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:51 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Mowog wrote:
Perhaps what we're seeing is a simplified version, as has been said of Myst Island, and the actual place would have been quite a bit more complex.

That might be true if, like Myst, it were a game and the result of artistic license. But, as we know, Uru is "real" and artistic license cannot be claimed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:47 pm 

Nalates wrote:
While we can speculate that Python used in an age is part of the client engine, it comes down to how Cyan sees it and chooses to write the license.

Age-specific Python scripts are not part of the game engine, no. They would be considered the separately licensed content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 pm 

quahog42 wrote:
Nalates wrote:
While we can speculate that Python used in an age is part of the client engine, it comes down to how Cyan sees it and chooses to write the license.

Age-specific Python scripts are not part of the game engine, no. They would be considered the separately licensed content.

I think you're missing my point. If the scripts are considered part of the age and Cyan says ages can't be modified, then we would not be able to legally change the scripts.

There are several possibilities as to how the scripts may be thought of. Prior to the open source idea the scripts were part of the game. With open source the parts of the game may become a significant issue. There are server/client, development tools and content. It seems intuitive that the scripts would more likely be content, which Cyan has said they will license differently than the parts they plan to allow us to change.

The client side executable must read and execute the Python code to have things happen in the age. Python code is distributed with each age, which gives more weight to the idea that it is strictly content. But it is only used by the game engine to animate things in the game and then all were covered equally by the client side EULA. Since the EULA cover is being broken up, Cyan hopefully may place Python scripts in a special grouping and permit changes or limited changes. Since we are supposedly getting rights to change the client side code it would be nice to have the Python scripts fall in that grouping. Or they may group all code together, server, client, Plasma, tools and Python scripts and cover them by a separate license.

So, my thinking is still that it comes down to how Cyan writes the the license and how THEY see the Python scripts and what they want to allow.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:12 am 

IIRC, in her speech inside the Bahro cave, Yeesha uses the word "garrison" when describing the history of the Gahreesen Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:52 pm 

Nalates wrote:
quahog42 wrote:
Nalates wrote:

I think you're missing my point. If the scripts are considered part of the age and Cyan says ages can't be modified, then we would not be able to legally change the scripts.

There are several possibilities as to how the scripts may be thought of. Prior to the open source idea the scripts were part of the game. With open source the parts of the game may become a significant issue. There are server/client, development tools and content. It seems intuitive that the scripts would more likely be content, which Cyan has said they will license differently than the parts they plan to allow us to change.

The client side executable must read and execute the Python code to have things happen in the age. Python code is distributed with each age, which gives more weight to the idea that it is strictly content. But it is only used by the game engine to animate things in the game and then all were covered equally by the client side EULA. Since the EULA cover is being broken up, Cyan hopefully may place Python scripts in a special grouping and permit changes or limited changes. Since we are supposedly getting rights to change the client side code it would be nice to have the Python scripts fall in that grouping. Or they may group all code together, server, client, Plasma, tools and Python scripts and cover them by a separate license.

So, my thinking is still that it comes down to how Cyan writes the the license and how THEY see the Python scripts and what they want to allow.

I think by the time this is all said and done, if it ever happens, people are going to very very disappointed about what can be changed or edited.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next