It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I think by the time this is all said and done, if it ever happens, people are going to very very disappointed about what can be changed or edited.

Yes to that. OS is for our extensions, not changes to Cyan's ages. Fixes yes, changes no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Many of the changes and bug fixes will require modifications to the assets. If we are unable to recompile/convert the data we will be severely limited in our ability to properly modify the code in a useful manner, and there will be those who will ignore such restrictions as a result.

A permissive but specific license allowing modification of the game assets would probably be a very good idea to avoid situations which are very hard to control once they've run away.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:52 pm 

I am expecting the license to be rational. Cyan said some of the game assets would be released to the fans.

If we are prevented from changing anything in the content (in this case meaning the ages as opposed to tools and server side and client side engines/software) then the OS would be useless to fans. So, I doubt that will happen. The start point, Nexus, hoods will need changes and many suspect that will mean those are candidates for content we can change.

On the other hand, how the content may be used and what can be changed may have interesting unintended consequences. For instance, if the fans decided to make drastic changes to the server side and client side engines (say switch from DirectX to OpenGL or replace Plasma as the main game engine/compiler) will we still be able to use the content? How does one permit or limit changes to the KI and text messaging and voice systems?

If the content can be used with modified engines that are so different as to be completely new, what keeps one from porting the content to other engines entirely? Other than it is a lot of work...

If we can add better dance animation to the AV's, is that considered content modification or code modification and covered by the code license? If Cyan decides the later then what if someone wants to add over the top suggestive dances?

Obviously these are issues and some thought is likely being/been given to them by Cyan. So, it is just a matter of what Cyan decides and how they write the license. I suspect they will limit issues they feel may seriously impact the game and leave others up to the fans to restrict (i.e., suggestive dances). I don't see anyway to predict that.

Many of us just expect it to be something useful. But even if it is overly restrictive in regard to content, there are ways around. Consider a fan age outside the Cleft area that leads up to the gate. From within it we change how the game starts. One could enter the Cyan Cleft or find a storm drain that leads to the Great Shaft for another way into the Cavern and we would not have to change the Cleft age. There are creative ways to handle even severe restrictions on content.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

We're not really talking about the same thing at all. I'm talking about changes like the ones made to Myst 5 in comparison to Uru:ABM. Not mundane content additions or changes, which is largely a separate issue.
Nalates wrote:
If the content can be used with modified engines that are so different as to be completely new, what keeps one from porting the content to other engines entirely? Other than it is a lot of work...

If someone wanted to do the work involved for that, they already could. We don't need the source for Cyan's engine for this. In fact there were multiple attempts already that I'm aware of. It's a lot of work to write one from scratch though.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I think it's very possible. Strangely enough, Uru:CC will crash if you try to use flymode to get in there, when you're close to landing on the floor it exceptions, every time. Makes me wonder if there was some leftover code when the game shipped that was never fixed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3