It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:18 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
Soup_Fork wrote:
my guess ... Cyan has little to no faith in the abilities of the fan base

As far as the abilities of the fan base is concerned all Cyan hasta do is set up a PC with Uru CC, Drizzle and an offline KI and they can get themselves a good overview of the what there getting themselves into. If after looking over what the fan base hasta offer they say "we have no faith after what we saw" well then keeping this site open is just a money pit that will soon be abandon. Well the sites still here and the economy still sucks, that must say something????????

the more impressed they are with the skills of the fan base the more likely (I assume) they are to trust the fan base, and as artist themselves surly they must be interested in what the fan base is doing to there art work

You'll find that most of the developers of those tools have been in the community for a while, and most of them are a bit bitter about the continued promises from Cyan that don't seem to come through.
We were told by Chogon back in UU that we would be given Cyan's 3DS Max toolset, and that he wanted to work with fan developers to improve the current tools.
We were told that UU would remain open as an option for those who weren't able to join MOUL.
We were told that GoW and GoMa would be working with Cyan to grant FCA licenses.
We were told that Plasma 2 would be open-sourced.

Although I'm sure that Cyan had good intentions when all of these promises were made, the lack of commitment on their side in the past leaves me to continue working as if we'll never get the code. I will be overjoyed if/when we do get the code, and I'd be quite happy for someone to prove that my "believe it when I see it" attitude is wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
We were told that UU would remain open as an option for those who weren't able to join MOUL.

Curious where you got that info from?
Quote please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

This also came up recently in a GoMa forum discussion. Zardoz found the quotes on Mystlore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

veralun wrote:
Curious where you got that info from?

There are more but with the broken search functions on this forum and the wiping of DRC forums has made it very difficult to find anything by Cyan. It is all most too convenient. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58 pm 

I can confirmed they said they would keep Until Uru up for unsupported countries. I don't have it written anywhere, but I clearly remember it, in a KI message. Beside, you need to trust me, the unability to join live and the closing of d'mala was the only thing I thought and talked about back than :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:08 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

semplerfi wrote:
... wiping of DRC forums...

The oldest post on the DRC forums is from Apr 12, 2002. What wipe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
semplerfi wrote:

I have my Cyan forums mixed up possibly. There was one that got wiped and or changed that contained a lot of community history. It has been awhile. :wink:

Like there is selective hearing and selective creditability I have selective memories. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks D'Lanor for the url.

Memories are nice, but facts is what really counts here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wonder where Paradox got that from! The opposite was stressed often enough - Until meant what it said.
That was the whole point of D'mala and the Big Bang transfer from D'mala to MOUL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:38 pm 

GreyDragon wrote:
Now that we've announced Uru Live's renewal, we've been asked to clarify our position on Until Uru. After careful consideration, here it is.

Cyan is committed to and dependent on Uru Live's success, so we are putting everything we have into it. Since our resources are limited, we cannot actively support Until Uru as well. With that said, we have no intention of taking back what we've made available - we intend to maintain the auth server so existing users of Until Uru can continue to access their Until Uru shards. However, because we're moving on to Uru Live, we've decided not to issue any new Kagi keys. We encourage any new users who want a taste (albeit an imperfect one) of Uru prior to Uru Live to visit the D'mala shard.
Until Uru was carefully named to convey hope and set expectations. We're excited that the time has come for us to move on.

Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi!
The Team at Cyan Worlds, Inc

Sources: MystLore

Unfortunately the original post was on the old cyanworlds forums, which no longer exist.

Just to point out, I was in favour of UU shifting over to MOUL, but I was under the impression (and evidently a number of others were too) that UU would remain open for the international players who could not access MOUL, and for Age writers to preform testing. This did not happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:24 am 
Obduction Backer

veralun wrote:
facts is what really counts here.

Only facts count on a website with a broken search function. Nice oxymora... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 am 

Paradox wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Soup_Fork wrote:
my guess ... Cyan has little to no faith in the abilities of the fan base

As far as the abilities of the fan base is concerned all Cyan hasta do is set up a PC with Uru CC, Drizzle and an offline KI and they can get themselves a good overview of the what there getting themselves into. If after looking over what the fan base hasta offer they say "we have no faith after what we saw" well then keeping this site open is just a money pit that will soon be abandon. Well the sites still here and the economy still sucks, that must say something????????

the more impressed they are with the skills of the fan base the more likely (I assume) they are to trust the fan base, and as artist themselves surly they must be interested in what the fan base is doing to there art work

You'll find that most of the developers of those tools have been in the community for a while, and most of them are a bit bitter about the continued promises from Cyan that don't seem to come through.
We were told by Chogon back in UU that we would be given Cyan's 3DS Max toolset, and that he wanted to work with fan developers to improve the current tools.
We were told that GoW and GoMa would be working with Cyan to grant FCA licenses.
We were told that Plasma 2 would be open-sourced.

Although I'm sure that Cyan had good intentions when all of these promises were made, the lack of commitment on their side in the past leaves me to continue working as if we'll never get the code. I will be overjoyed if/when we do get the code, and I'd be quite happy for someone to prove that my "believe it when I see it" attitude is wrong.

Wow lets assume all these promises where made and broken what was the motive behind making the promises and what was the motive behind breaking them. I understand the reason why the community is getting a bit restless and impatient but their is a few missing pieces to this puzzle. Unfortunately the missing pieces seem to be in the minds of Cyan, and they are not forthcoming about them. When the art work you create is so powerful that an entire community develops around it you have a certain responsibility to that community, and trust has always been a two way street. Cyan hasta trust the community as much as the community trust Cyan. In addition any relationship whether its business or pleasure their must be trust. A relationship is like a high rise building where trust is the foundation if the foundation is faulty the building will eventual crumble

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:27 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
semplerfi wrote:

The oldest non-DRC posts are from December 2005, when the second incarnation of Uru Live via Gametap came alive. The old, old DRC forum was first hosted on cho.cyan.com and then on Ubi's forum site, and contained explorer sections similar to the current ones, dating back to spring of 2002. All of the old Zandi hunts were conducted via those explorer sections; none of that survives today, at least publicly.

I found an old copy at archive.org: The old DRC Forum.

Last edited by Zardoz on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:39 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Thanks, Zardoz. The current DRC forums (the website itself was different) are all this comparatively young explorer ever knew...

Old man.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradox, how do you get to your impression from your GreyDragon quote?

No new Kagi keys, so only those who already have them will be able to access the broader UU. To paraphrase, We're not going to take back what we've already given, but if you don't have access already, there's only D'mala, and that's only until MOUL goes live.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next