It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Would you be willing to pay to join Uru Live once again
Yes 81%  81%  [ 179 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
When I can afford it 8%  8%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 220
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:41 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
An established publisher would already have all of that would they not, and the private servers don't need it.I was wondering about the technical side, technically speaking why is Uru Live so difficult to maintain

If one could just put up a server and let run, it would not be difficult or require much more than electricity, bandwidth and a little operator over sight.

Just having the server up creates several liabilities for Cyan and involves some amount of Cyan's reputation. Companies tend not to want to blatantly remind potential customers of a project that failed. Whatever the reasons, Cyan has said they will run what many of us take to be a file server, rather than a game server, to house the MOUL content files. Since there would be no one playing in a Cyan server that would avoid most of the liability issues and protect their IP.

Also, fans want to add content. Allowing content to be added to a Cyan server would get complex. Allowing everyone and anyone to add content would be an unacceptable risk. Someone might add inappropriate content. Restricting access would mean either Cyan had to oversee it or delegate someone to do it. Read GoW, GoMa and here for the problems surrounding what happened when they planned to have the fan run guilds involved in the fan content process.

It is not so much the techy problems that are problems and cost.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 pm 

Yes I would be willing to pay if: a) Cyan runs the game b) There are reasonable and somewhat regular add ons to content. c) Costs were reasonable. d) The direction the game takes does not involve a committee (s) of the unwashed making decisions based on narrow wants.

In other words, run a professional game in a sound and stable manner ( Like NCSoft or EAGames ) and I will pay a subscription fee to participate. Run a game like they used to run on Bulletin Boards ( pre internet ) where the person running the game could add, subtract, cheat etc., etc., count me out. I might consider donations for private or amateur games and/or game operation but that would be it. Run a game that looks more like Wolfenstein than UrU and I'm gone.

That being said... I sure hope I get to meet and greet again sometime..

Cheers All

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm really glad to see that they made a donation option available! :D I know where my money's going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was quite surprised by the donation feature yesterday. This is something that has been suggested so many times by the community over the years and never happened.. Good surprise. I hope it brings Cyan plenty of well-deserved income.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6