It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Would you be willing to pay to join Uru Live once again
Yes 81%  81%  [ 179 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
When I can afford it 8%  8%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 220
 Post subject: Vote Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:11 pm 

8) For the record I had to come and vote my yes. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:12 pm 

Would I?*Oh* yeah.

Do I really expect it to happen though? Not really.

Edited for language - 8/1/09, by Whitch2

Last edited by Sensei on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:07 am 

I selected yes even though I'm not completely sure.
However, if the game included widescreen support: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 415#298415
I would definitely be willing to pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:05 pm 

There was a similar topic, sans poll here http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17016 I very much believe that the answer to your question will depend heavily on how much people will be charged and what they are getting for their money. Yes there are die-hard fans who will pay $10.00 to hang out in the caverns and chat with infrequent new material giving them something to work for for a short time. However, it has been proved that there are not enough of us to support the game. I voted yes, but it is a conditional yes and my conditions are listed on the last page of the post above.

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:06 pm 

There was a similar topic, sans poll here http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17016 I very much believe that the answer to your question will depend heavily on how much people will be charged and what they are getting for their money. Yes there are die-hard fans who will pay $10.00 to hang out in the caverns and chat with infrequent new material giving them something to work for for a short time. However, it has been proved that there are not enough of us to support the game. I voted yes, but it is a conditional yes and my conditions are listed on the last page of the post above.

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 am 

If for no other reason then to insure it would be their when I need it the most.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject: Paying and Content
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm 

As with many other commenters, I would pay to see it all happen, but would expect some content, new ages, new stories.
If opensource though, what are we paying for? I would not pay for a server I could build myself in a weekend.
Many MMO titles have gone to user created content and user run servers; Halo Custom Edition is a prime example of this kind of fan based development at its best.
Why do we even require a central server run by one company, when all we need is a good inspection process for new ages and a central Age library? If we could then set up our own clients and servers, then all public ages used could be vetted for faults easier across more types of hardware/software, and local variations would remain private ages anyway.
These are rhetorical questions I guess, probably long discussed before my post, but have to ask seriously, wtf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

You've missed the database / persistent data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:21 pm 

I will always pay for new content.

It looks like maybe my answer changed a little (or softened) in light of Rand's stating his vision for OSMO at Mysterium '09. Obviously we don't want Cyan to lose money, and ultimately if they are just running Uru for a small group of people, somebody has to pay for it. So it wouldn't really be encouraging a bait-and-switch to pay for it. That said, I care more about more Cyan-supplied content than a Cyan-run server (which is not to say that I don't care about a centralized server that everybody can be on at once).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:04 pm 

Omykael, I see your point. Obviously the main thing that'd be great about a Cyan server would be fresh, high-quality content.

We're talking about official servers which would be faster, smoother, and more reliable than most (not necessarily all) fan shards. Think about Until Uru, vs. MO:UL - MO:UL ran well more consistently than UU.

It costs money to run a server 24/7, too. Hardware aside, the electricity alone costs a decent amount.

Many of the fan-run server operators may end up charging their users a small fee anyway just to pay the costs of running their servers.

Aside from the mild benefits of a more reliable server, the upside of a Cyan server is that even if they don't add much new content in terms of worlds, it seems likely that they'll try to continue telling their story through their official characters. So we'd be paying partly for story and the chance to meet with actual Cyan people in-game.

Cyan could do that storytelling at low expense relative to the cost of creating content. But if it's all chatlogged, which it surely will be, that too is not a great advantage of being on a Cyan server.

It's been said that an Uru with a stream of new content can't run profitably, but just because it hasn't in the past doesn't mean it can't in the future. It's just a matter of getting enough subscribers to pay the production costs.

That means either lower production costs, or raise the number of subscribers, or both, and Uru can run profitably.

-Raising the number of subscribers. Open Source Uru, once released, will be free to play, at least in some of its forms.
This makes it much more marketable than any previous form of the game. No longer will people object to trying it because of its expense. When it's a free game, people will try Uru who normally never were interested in anything Myst-related.

Some will not like it that much, but some will become hooked and realize they love it. Once you have a player addicted to Myst through the entry of a free game, they may go on to buy Myst games, or pay for access to an official server or official add-on content.

In this way, Open Source Uru can allow the fanbase to expand and pull in new members easily. At the same time, the presence of a multiplayer open-source Uru means that an official server will need to provide content that's unique to that server in order to hold subscribers.

Another possibility is that the Myst movie will go into production and be seen by millions of people who'll then go out searching for more Myst stuff and find the Myst games and Uru. The movie could potentially cause a massive growth in the Myst fanbase.

One or both of these factors may be enough to cause the Myst fanbase to grow to the point where what was previously not financially viable - continuous production of new official Uru content on an official server - becomes profitable, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

Alternatively, reducing production costs is another option. I've suggested hybrid fan/Cyan efforts, with Cyan writing a storyline, creating designs and layouts, and creating concept art, and some of the more talented fans doing the bulk of the 3d modelling, some of the grunt work of bringing a Cyan age from concept to completion, doing whatever parts of age creation the fans are qualified to do well.

The age would then be released on the official Cyan server, and made exclusive to that server. The fans would work for free (they already do) or almost free, and this'd make an ordinarily highly expensive production task about half or a third as expensive as it normally would be.

Cyan could also contact top-tier fan artists and age designers and buy or otherwise claim the rights to some of their worlds, making them exclusively available on Cyan's server.

Or Cyan could sponsor a GoW contest, much like the RAD contest - but QAD (quality age development) instead - with the winning entry awarded some small prize, and all submitted entries that Cyan wants to hold onto made exclusive to the Cyan server.

In other words, fan-created or semi-fan-created content could be claimed or produced by Cyan and made available only on Cyan's servers. Cyan could do this at much lower expense than creating their own content completely by themselves.

A mix of official, semi-official, and fan content could all be made exclusively available to subscribers to Cyan's server.

This could allow for a MO:UL-scale stream of content at a fraction of the cost of MO:UL's content production.

Most fan content would still be freely available to anyone, of course - but some of the work of the best fan developers, like the people behind Ahra Pahts, Breldur, etc, could be claimed by Cyan Worlds.

BTW, I'll volunteer to do this myself if I ever had a chance to - getting to work with Cyan artists to help create an age for Cyan would be fun for me, and Í figure there are others who'd do the same given a chance. Many of them - like me - would volunteer to do so for free. (part-time, of course)

Or full-time at minimum wage. I'd work for Cyan full-time at minimum wage if they'd ever take me. If they find me too eccentric and risky to actually make a part of their company, they can always hire me as a freelance vendor for, well, nothing or next to nothing. :)

I did a freelance 3d previz job on guru.com for $2.40/hr once. It wasn't a great experience but I'd happily do it again (for less, or nothing) if it were for Cyan Worlds on a Myst-related project. To quote a famous message to Cyan, "I'll lick stamps if that's what it takes."

In any case, between finding a way to pull in more subscribers and reducing production costs, there's got to be some balance that can enable an official Uru server with a stream of fresh content to work - even if it hasn't been profitable in the past. I believe Cyan Worlds can find a way to do this. They have an amazing fanbase backing them in this effort.

And if they do, in fact, find a way to create their own server with new content, yes, undoubtedly, I'll be there subscribing to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:46 am 

84% of 163 people so far, will they consider it?

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:21 am 

No. I'm sure (although I do mean it when I say it) that saying that we would pay for URU has little more potential than to give Chogon a warm thought.

...hey, here's an idea! Let's design a generator powered by warm thoughts so that Cyan can cheaply run the URU server!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Or, we could just "go green" and start setting up windmills and solar panels. (That's assuming you own enough land to set them up. Those of us living in apartments, well, can't.)

Seriously, though: for a while on SL, I was constantly meeting people who had played - and loved - the Myst series, but hadn't even heard of Uru Live. They told me they would have played it, had they known about it. In other words, the fanbase is small because Uru Live is possibly the best-kept secret in online gaming. Cyan really needs to promote Uru better.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 am 

Promotion is indeed a problem, but a very good game can promote itself, and many games show this. Not that Uru isn't very good, but if we can make it better, we will get more players by the word of moith, and, well... we will have a better game :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:30 pm 

With all the work Cyan put into Uru CC and Uru Llive I would rather see them get something back then put it out for free.
and I would be the last one to complain if they came out and said We found a publisher for Uru Live but its gonna cost a small reasonable fee. I understand they said it was gonna go open source and that in itself does eliminate several issues and at the same time creates others.

I often wondered iif everybody that voted yes on this pole subscribe to Uru Live would it be enough for Cyan to try again when and if they have a chance. that is after all what this pole was for to see if their is enough people still around willing to pay for Uru live to make it worth the effort

E=mc2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next