It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Would you be willing to pay to join Uru Live once again
Yes 81%  81%  [ 179 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
When I can afford it 8%  8%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 220
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm 

I didn't look to see how many people voted "yes", but if it's 84% in favour you need a large number to make it worth while. A large percentage in favour but with a small total number doesn't mean squat.

I would be only too happy to pay a fee, even if it was the same old same old. After all, you are going to have bills to pay until the day you die, so what's another one?

If it were to progress the way it had with additions every once in awhile I would be happy with that as long as it stayed online. I have been here since the very beginning and I enjoyed it, although the first one was a little trying while you attempted to move around in wet cement.

But, since money is the name of the game, I guess I will just have to wait and see what eventually comes to pass. Good or bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:16 pm 

Sorry if what I say here has been said elsewhere in this thread. I don't have time at the moment to read through 5 pages of history.

I voted for "When I can afford it," but that isn't quite accurate about how I feel. I've never felt that Myst, despite having rich and involving lore, really has the drawing power that brings [enough] players willing to pay a subscription fee to connect. Granted, I realize that while URU was Live there were real time events involving live actors. This is brilliant, but there are large pitfalls. How do you involve players who have paid their subscription fees but are not available to witness the live events? All players should expect to witness the same content for the same price. So, what is left? The Ages, the puzzles, the GreatZero, and the multiplayer mini-games. As fun as those things are they just don't compare on a 1:1 ratio with MMORPGs, so why build a subscription system that mirrors MMORPGs when the experience we get isn't the same?

Here's what I would promote for URU, or an URU like game. Free access with the purchase of the original URU or URU:CC. One time fees for each expansion, or season if you will. Supplement with micro-transaction based avatar costume or possibly even relto items.

I may have mentioned these before, it's been on my mind for a while. I used to be addicted to FFXI and WoW, and then I moved out of my parent's house and felt the harsh sting of reality. Mortgage, utilities, car payment, paying off debt... these things are unfortunately more important than entertainment. When I look back on my exploits in FFXI and WoW I think, "Sure I had fun, but what do I have to show for it now?" The answer is nothing... nothing tangible anyway.

URU is bigger than that though. URU is a story to be found and everyone discovers at their own pace. This is why I don't like the idea of a monthly subscription fee for URU. Players shouldn't feel pressed into finding everything before their subscription runs out. It is completely contradictory to the relaxed feeling I've become accustom to with Myst games.
Are live actor events fun? Sure, but not everyone gets to see them. Why make the Least pay for things they don't get to enjoy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:54 pm 

I agree. I nice thing could be buying ages, or quests. No monthly fee, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:58 pm 

paid for uru prime to get into prologue and would've paid a monthly if ubisoft hadn't killed it. paid the monthly fee for gametap. would pay to play for the next version too if that's what was released. whatever *legal* way a live version of uru gets done, i'm there. i've been patient since 2003, i can continue to be patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah...patience is an asset. Go Bearcats....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:59 pm 

Ok then, the Economy seems to follow the Stock market which seems to be on its way back up, So in theory. people should have more money to burn on entertainment. All Cyan hasta do is find a need and fill it, Granted thats easer said then done.

If Cyan Success follows the economy it will be a while still, maybe not this year but I keep on wondering why this site is still up if they have no plans on Uru live for the future.

Although an update would be nice even if its just another sarcastic remark like "im still awake and at my desk"
Or Uru is still a possibility, here's have some cheese with your whine

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:19 pm 

I would definitely pay the monthly fee.
If money was too tight, I'd cut something else or figure out another way to make myself be able to afford it.

How much money exactly is needed to run the URU servers for a year?
How much money exactly is needed to run the URU servers for a year and pay cyan developers for 1 or 2 additions?

I'm also happy to pay, say, 20-25 USD into some CYAN PayPal fund (probably even if there are no guarantees) if they want to try to relaunch URU, or launch MORE. To me it seems that there still is a hardcore group of people wanting to play URU, aren't there enough of us to make this happen? It will eliminate a middleman who took a cut like GameTap no doubt did.

Also, I am very sure I am signed up to some sort Myst/URU/cyan mailing list (checking a box when creating an account) with at least 2 different email addresses, and I found out URU was beta, and later life and online, by coincidence - not from them. (Or am I the only one who didn't get an email and was URU promoted after all?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:32 pm 

I'm not against anything that you are saying, 10miles. But I don't think Game Tap took a cut. I think they made an investment that did not really pay of. They had to stop paying development costs for new content to their flagship game. I think* the discussion was there to just keep MOUL up and running for another year or two without adding content. The result of that in short terms would have been virtually the same as closing the cavern as far as Cyan is concerned, but I'm sure it would have killed URU live for all future.

Think as in speculate and believe. I believe every possible option came up in those discussions. Also the idea later presented as MORE. But here Turner/GT must have felt it lost them credibility, to have people pay subscriptions to provide themselves with a game. Also the whole rights and possible damage issue should anything towards happen.
(yes now I'm speculating wildly, but I assume they did to at the time)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:24 am 

Oh, er, scratch that part then :)

To me it seemed funding was the biggest problem, and there are so many possible ways to get enough funds that at least one of those surely will work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 pm 

Why do you think Uru Live became so expensive to maintain for a publisher when the hackers have been running a live version of some sort the whole time.

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:17 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Karkadann wrote:
Why do you think Uru Live became so expensive to maintain for a publisher when the hackers have been running a live version of some sort the whole time.

Hardly fair.

For the same reasons you can't call yourself or behave like a commerical radio station using a walkie-talkie.

The list is too ridiculously obvious to ponder, but how about for starters: magnitude, infrastructure, distribution, employees, payroll, health insurance, physical plant operations, R&D, marketing, sales, responsibility, accountability, liability, customer service, regulations, unemployment insurance, law, human relations, taxes, profit, organization, expectations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm 

An established publisher would already have all of that would they not, and the private servers don't need it.I was wondering about the technical side, technically speaking why is Uru Live so difficult to maintain

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm 

I would have voted "Yes" had I known about the poll. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:03 pm 

You still can I think?

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:28 am 

Hi all! It's my first post and even though i know it doesn't even matter now (Myst is just not going to come back - let's be honest) i decided to vote...My vote is a strong YES, i am willing to pay even 50 euros/month just to live those days again for a while...even if there is the slightest chance to remake those worlds i'll be one of the first to embrace the attempt and give it my cash...
I still remember the feeling each time i held a MYST game box in my hands...Each time i watched the intro...
If there was a chance to relive those feelings - and i know that this will be the case if another game is made - online or not, ofcourse i would pay...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next