It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:35 am 

Earlier today, GameTap took down all the Myst games (including Uru and RealMYST) from their service. The reason they gave:
Quote:
Starting today the Myst series will be taking a hiatus from GameTap due to an external conflict between Myst's developer and publisher. Ideally we like to give you, the user, plenty of advance notice when a game is leaving the service but unfortunately this news was just as much a surprise to us. When the issue is settled between these parties we will do everything we can to get these games back on the service.

This is really confusing, since the games on GameTap (Myst, realMYST, Riven, Uru, and Exile) almost all had different publishers. Could this be related to licensing/publishing over the iPhone version, or could there be some rights ownership stuff going on over Uru?

Apparently it happened really suddenly, and Cyan isn't the kind of company that would purposely get in fights with publishers. Any thoughts?

Update: RealMYST is back,.

Last edited by Shadsy on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Not being in the Game Tap loop, the opportunity to get URU was done after the closing of URU Live? As for MYST, I'm not sure......Maybe yet another snafu in the release of Open Source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:02 am 

Gandhar wrote:
Not being in the Game Tap loop, the opportunity to get URU was done after the closing of URU Live? As for MYST, I'm not sure......Maybe yet another snafu in the release of Open Source?

This was Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, the original without anything besides the first Journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Where is your quote from? On the GameTap Blog, the quote is more or less the same, but...
http://gametapblog.com/myst-games-takin ... m-gametap/

Quote:
Starting today the Myst series will be taking a hiatus from GameTap due to an external conflict between Cyan Worlds and Ubisoft. Ideally we like to give you, the user, plenty of advance notice when a game is leaving the service but this news was just as much a surprise to us. When the issue is settled between these parties we will do everything we can to get these games back on the service.

My assumption is that the conflict is solely between Ubi and Cyan, but GameTap, when confronted by one of those parties, took down all Myst games to ensure that their own backs were covered as much as possible. realMyst is the odd one out, here, since I know Myst 1-3 on GameTap listed Ubisoft as the publisher (though not the original publishers, they had publishing rights to those games at the time GameTap licensed them), as did Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.

This isn't good news on any front, since the last thing Cyan needs is more problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Believe the OP got it from the forum.

http://www.gametap.com/forum/myst-games ... 34416.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:26 am 

Perhaps Ubi are trying to claim they still have IP rights to the Uru sourcecode, so Cyan can't Open-Source it. Or something else related to that.

Who knows, at this point, but I think the worst it'll mean is a delay to the Open-Sourcing of Uru.

And, of course, it's entirely possible that if Cyan can't Open-Source Uru, they could still give an official nod to some of the projects that came out during Until Uru. Perhaps even enough information to build a "clean-room" version of the server, at least, which would be just fine as far as IP law goes (As that kind of thing is allowed for interop purposes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:13 am 
Creative Kingdoms

In a 2002 press release, Cyan and Ubisoft announced an agreement for Ubisoft "to develop and publish new Myst games through 2008."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2884849.html

2008 has passed. I imagine Ubisoft would like to challenge some sort of wording in their agreement so that they can continue to publish the valuable Myst library.

In the case of Myst Online, Turner held the rights and released them back to Cyan. I doubt Myst Online is affected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I wonder what it's all about... :roll: Perhaps Ubi felt left in the cold with the iPhone release?

Hopefully it doesn't have any effect on Myst Online. Myst Online wasn't published by Ubi, so they shouldn't have anything to say about it, but we may never know what kind of contracts are in place...
Also, what does this mean for the Myst games? Copies of the games have become harder to find, but Ubi is still the publisher. If Cyan loses Ubi, that would mean that the games wouldn't be available for purchase at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 am 

ooo, if Uru really claims the sourcecode and all, I'll be really mad. Why would they need it anyway? to leave with no Uru and no hope?

Ubisoft... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:02 pm 

Anaerin wrote:
...Who knows, at this point, but I think the worst it'll mean is a delay to the Open-Sourcing of Uru...

Gee now there is something new we have yet to see. Another delay go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm 

I think you're reading too much into it. It sounds to me like Ubisoft wanted to continue the contract to publish the Myst games on GameTap. The problem is that GameTap isn't really GameTap anymore, so the contract may be technically void.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:57 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

If GameTap's agreement was with Ubisoft, and Ubisoft's publishing rights ended at the end of 2008, as the 2002 press release states, then GameTap was publishing without rights at least from January 1, 2009. I doubt they're that clueless, even though their Marketing and Customer Support departments often were quite clueless during MOUL (requisite snark).

If GameTap's agreement was directly with Cyan then whatever agreement we were not privy to should be valid unless Ubisoft has a claim. GameTap would be exercising prudence by not making themselves further liable to Ubisoft claims.

GameTap began publishing the Cyan games before the end of 2008, so it may have involved at least a trilateral agreement, Ubisoft's side of which could have expired at the end of 2008. But such an agreement may have kept Ubisoft's foot in the door beyond the original 2008 expiration. Whether their original agreement truly expired while the GameTap agreement was still in force would be a question in my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:56 pm 

J'ffrey wrote:
Anaerin wrote:
...Who knows, at this point, but I think the worst it'll mean is a delay to the Open-Sourcing of Uru...

As always, J'ffrey, you provide light to our otherwise dark and dreary existence. :roll:

My guess is that Ubisoft is wishing they'd held on to at least some small part of Myst. With the success of the port to the iPhone/iPod Touch and a possible movie (or three) on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to get some share of the pot.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:23 am 

Goodness, I hope it's a technicality and that we're reading too far into it...

If this prevents OSMO/MOOS/whatever I'll be at Ubi HQ with a torch and a pitchfork. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:26 am 

Frisky Badger wrote:
J'ffrey wrote:

As always, J'ffrey, you provide light to our otherwise dark and dreary existence. :roll:

My guess is that Ubisoft is wishing they'd held on to at least some small part of Myst. With the success of the port to the iPhone/iPod Touch and a possible movie (or three) on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to get some share of the pot.

Dude, frekin relax it was just a joke. As always you have to point out how much my comments annoy you.
I suggest if you have a problem with me, trust me I know you do becasue you always seem to find it necessary to single my comments out, please private message me instead. :roll: :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next