It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:49 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm sorry but I still can't seem to find what you guys are talking about on the Ubi forums. Could someone kindly give me a hand.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:18 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Jevasi wrote:
I'm sorry but I still can't seem to find what you guys are talking about on the Ubi forums. Could someone kindly give me a hand.

That was pretty much the point for all of us.

This post pointed us there but gave no coherent explanation:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 639#295639

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Shall we agree that the Ubi forums don't have anything to do with this whole issue? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

The taking down of Uru: ABM I can understand: Maybe Cyan wanted to make sure no problems happened with their open-source Uru being released so they had Gametap pull ABM down (i.e. why am I paying to play this crippled version on your game service while Cyan worlds has it free for me to play on their website?) and maybe they pulled down the rest of the games as a cancellation of contract agreement (i.e. If we take down one game, we take them all down). But keeping REALMyst doesn't make sense in that, so maybe it IS Ubi. REALMyst was created by Cyan, sure, but produced by Mattel Interactive (I think), so if it WAS something to do with Ubisoft, that would explain that. I jut hope this doesn't escalate to a ton of legal bull and people suing people.

Either way.... it's summer now, and I still don't have my Uru Club back!!!!!!!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:28 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Perhaps Cyan should now like to follow Lucas Arts' lead and put their old games on Steam?

Gamasutra wrote:
After years of decreasing support for its older titles, LucasArts today announced it will be releasing through Steam ten of its games across numerous genres, franchises, and developers.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=24332

Do these last two paragraphs sound familiar, especially for buyers of realMyst?

Gamasutra wrote:
The company has progressively removed older games from its website and online store, leading to frequently high prices for its titles on the secondhand market -- particularly its adventure games.

This also represents LucasArts' first ever support of Valve's Steam digital distribution service; the company had until now been one of the few significant publishers not to sign on.

One of the few...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:44 pm 

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Says it all ... On steam you have over a million customers, practically every hour of the day and night, that can buy your title.

Years ago I was a public beta tester for the platform, have have since watched it move from the "burger child" of valves community, to be an awsome plaform for people to try new games, be social and most of all play games.

Downloads are quick, reliable, everything is right there.

How many other companies can say they have 50,000 Mb+ worth of combinded bandwidth, show you representations of the platforms you should be aiming your product at (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) and provide platform intergration into your product?

All the while keeping their hands out of your product!

Honestly GT are/were just small time players and in my opinion cyan should'nt have wasted their time with it.

Steam is where you go for game content delivery. period!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd easily buy Myst for the fifth time if it was on Steam. Has it been five times? Let me think...

Myst for the Sega Saturn (My original copy of the game, found in the bargain bin for $2, that started the obsession...)
realMYST (Which I was stupid and no longer have since I gave it to my ex-girlfriend)
Myst 10th Anniversary DVD (Which I received for free when pre-ordering Uru)
Myst for the iPhone (Day 1 purchase!)

So yeah, I guess Steam Myst would be my fifth copy of the game. Although, I'd only buy it if it was compatible with current versions of Quicktime, instead of the XP/Old Quicktime horrors that I have to go through in order to play the game currently. For that matter, Myst and Riven would both be Day 1 purchases on Steam if at all possible. I'd probably pick up Exile and End of Ages too if they were available. Uru: Complete Chronicles too. Revelation I'd be in no hurry to pick up, but I'd probably end up eventually getting that one too for completion's sake.

I own multiple copies of most of these games, but having the compatibility issues dealt with and also having them as part of my digital library on Steam would make me drop the money to buy them again, so long as the pricing wasn't ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

If they got the Quicktime stuff sorted out so I didn't have to fiddle around with old versions of that (preferably by no longer using Quicktime for anything), I'd buy the whole Myst series in a heartbeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 am 

Riven guaranteed to work with vista? I'd buy that. I got the 10th anniversary edition of Myst just for the riven DVD, but it crashes when I try to save and I can't make the (unofficial) vista patch work...

That said, it still bothered me when I bought Empire at War, which had three discs or whatever, and it started downloading from steam when I put in disc one. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I got Riven working in Vista a few days ago, except I couldn't save the game. So there I was playing and I couldn't stop. Eventually, I left it running over night and it crashed in the morning, but it was an interesting run until then.

KI # 494102

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 pm 

Have you tried running in compatability mode?

or was that the first thing you tried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:50 am 

In order to get Riven working on Win 7 x64 Beta 2/RC and Vista x64 Home Premium I did the following:

Installed Riven onto a PC running a 32bit OS (XP for example, although 32 bit Vista works fine). This was done to get around the 16bit installer issue 64 bit versions of the OS suffer from.

Then I copied all of the CD's into the install folders data folder (meaning I didn't need to switch disks).

Then I followed the following instructions: http://www.ehow.com/how_5216302_riven-w ... vista.html

I've since copied the resulting folder onto a DVD and now "install" Riven by copying the folder onto a PC and double clicking the Riven.exe file (which then adds it to the games folder for you).

realMyst on Vista x64 is also possible.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3