It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Is it just a dream??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm 

One year ago they said "sometime in the upcomming year" now it's summer and where now living on a "just wait - maybe next month!!"..

I'm not complaining, but I just want the openion from some of you uru veterans - Do you think OSMO will ever come to live?
Why so? Why not so?

Whats your thoughts? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm 

If it did it would be COSMIC!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:23 pm 

Rondini wrote:
If it did it would be COSMIC!!
:lol:

I think it will come. It will take longer than we'd like (it probably already has) and it may not ever be quite as Cyan now envision it, but it will come.

I personally would like to see the Shards allowed to re-open while we wait. We could then meet together whilst we look forward to what will come.

Post subject: Re: Is it just a dream??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Kaffekop wrote:
Do you think OSMO will ever come to live?

If it doesn't, it will only be due to something beyond Cyan's control. They've put so much into Uru that they want to see it live on in some form or another.

From the Home Page

Latest News wrote:
However, all of us at Cyan and everybody that has ever worked on the creation and building of the dream called Uru Live (a.k.a. Mudpie, Untìl Uru, Myst Online: Uru Live and MORE) can not just let it die!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:32 pm 

I'm just concerned that the work has been paused for quiet some time now.
If they can't pay people to do this, then it will be on a "charity" basis - whenever people have the time to do a little work AFTER their "real" work.

And it IS a really big project to make it open source when its on this free basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:48 pm 

Kaffekop, you are right. It obviously is taking longer than expected and for the reasons you write and probably other issues too.

I think the fans have done all they can do. All sorts of suggestions have been put forth. I would like to see content licnsing released even if the Cyan content is not ready for download. It would let many fans know what could and could not be done. Even if it gets no new shards open we would know which changes we can and cannot make and be planing and building. Things like whether we will be able to add books to the library or whether that is reserved for Cyan. Can we change the Nexus?

And it would allow us to try and convenience Cyan to make license changes if we see problems, work out some compromise if needed.

@Inferiority Complex, you may not be an SL fan. But doing some recent checking I find that anywhere from 50 to 100 Uru fans are concurrently logged on in SL on the weekend. There are about 300 active fans that logon at least once a month. Last night a few people were looking for an Uru fan dance...

Cyan Chat often has 4 to 8 people logged in...

There are some places to meet and hang out. They are not the Uru Cavern you prefer, but you may find some of your friends there.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:47 pm 

There are many paths to Uru. OpenURU will, in my opinion, almost certainly come about. We know there's at least one shard out there likely running something like UU. As time goes on, those shards will likely become more prevalent until the day OpenURU comes about, at which point they will either collapse on their own, or slowly fall away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or grow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:37 pm 

Nalates wrote:
I would like to see content licnsing released even if the Cyan content is not ready for download. It would let many fans know what could and could not be done.

I'm thinking this may be related to the "something else" that "somebody else" has to take care of that is not technical in nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:23 pm 

Nalates wrote:
Kaffekop, you are right. It obviously is taking longer than expected and for the reasons you write and probably other issues too.

I think the fans have done all they can do. All sorts of suggestions have been put forth. I would like to see content licnsing released even if the Cyan content is not ready for download. It would let many fans know what could and could not be done. Even if it gets no new shards open we would know which changes we can and cannot make and be planing and building. Things like whether we will be able to add books to the library or whether that is reserved for Cyan. Can we change the Nexus?

And it would allow us to try and convenience Cyan to make license changes if we see problems, work out some compromise if needed.

@Inferiority Complex, you may not be an SL fan. But doing some recent checking I find that anywhere from 50 to 100 Uru fans are concurrently logged on in SL on the weekend. There are about 300 active fans that logon at least once a month. Last night a few people were looking for an Uru fan dance...

Cyan Chat often has 4 to 8 people logged in...

There are some places to meet and hang out. They are not the Uru Cavern you prefer, but you may find some of your friends there.

Yes and I know all this, which is why I am beginning to doubt that this project is a reality in the near future, if ever.
We CAN only wait for Cyan to get it done, and we HAVE done all that we can possible do.
We have no control, no knowledge, no way to support the process.

I'm asking myself - is it a waiste of energy to wait for OSMO to come alive?
Because I've been wandering restless around in the offline ages for nearly a year now :-P

And btw - what is SL? Is it worth spending time on untill OSMO will possible get going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

It has been awhile in waiting...

Once in awhile I think "maybe at some point I am going to get really tired of waiting and give up on the waiting"....but that thought just flits around and goes away quickly. So the thought is there....but it is very easy to dismiss it entirely.

I dont even think I want to explore what circumstances would cause me to get to that point....those would be very scary thoughts! Plus real life seems to keep me from having a lot of time to be too introspective about video games.
Work, work, work, then try to spend time with family, worry over the kids, ignore house cleaning once again. It is much easier to delve in to Guild Wars and spend a few hours there.

I keep getting worried that these forums will go away! Just reading everyone's posts makes me feel like Uru is just around the corner.

So I will keep waiting.

Will it come to fruition? Will OSMO or MORE or whatever we call ever really happen?

I think yes. Hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully not more than a year from now. And very hopefully not never!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:46 pm 

Last I heard, they're waiting on code changes from a guy who's no longer with Cyan, and nothing can continue until they get around to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

And all I do is check the dates of the 'posters' (Dropping like old flies) to form an opinion on the viability of URU 'whatever you wanna call it'. I'm in for the long haul, if you will, and I still check each and every day....Not assured that Cyan checks the forums everyday, except for the obvious, but I'm still 100% sure that IT will happen in my lifetime.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm 

I think it'll probably happen. Cyan's stated they want it to happen. The question is how long it'll take and whether anything will get in the way of it happening.

The only reason I can see it not happening is if Cyan's financial condition gets worse or if they're missing a key component required to open-source Uru and can't get it, due to legal disputes, or a disgruntled ex-Cyan employee who refuses to give Cyan what Cyan asks for, or some such thing.

(I hope the ex-Cyan employee is gruntled, not disgruntled. :P )

As for the forum posters dropping like flies, it's true that not many people are around lately. But that's because nothing much is really happening here lately that would draw their attention.

When Uru goes open source, we can contact all our inactive community members who've given up hope and say, "Look, Uru is actually open again and it's open source!" I think if the open source event actually happens, we'll see a bunch of absent Myst fans suddenly show up again.

Since an open source Uru will likely have some free shards that cost nothing to join or use, I think we won't have any trouble convincing non-fans to try the game, either. If it's free to play, more new players may give open source Uru a try, and stay around long enough to become fans, than joined our community during MO:UL - and we did get some new fans during MO:UL's run. That plus as a result of the iPhone port of Myst, I've noticed around a dozen people showing up on this forum recently discovering Uru for the first time, and wishing they could play it online.

Add to all this the fact that open source Uru can survive even if the fanbase remains small. With Prologue and MO:UL, there were teams of about 50 and 37 paid Cyan employees working on Uru full-time, and that cost millions of dollars. There weren't enough Uru players in either case to support production expenses that large.

On the other hand, Open Source Uru would have its production done by fans, who work for free, and thus there would not need to be a large number of players for Uru to be financially viable. It'd cost nearly nothing to run, so it could continue existing even if the community did dwindle down to several hundred fans. Not that I think that'll happen - I actually believe Open Source Uru will become fairly popular after its release given that it'll be free to join.

My feeling is that this is the winter, in a sense, and our community is like a tree that's lost most of its leaves. Right now it seems to be dying but soon enough it'll grow again, whenever spring arrives and it's given a good condition in which to grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:48 pm 

I check in a few times a week, but rarely post anymore. I'm about to reinstall all the games again and walk through them, looking for anything new I can find--that I didn't find in my last 100 or so playings.

Be well, be patient. Remember: All good things...yadda yadda yadda. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next