It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:08 pm 

Wow, that is the exact opposite of how I interpreted the video.

They never said that people that want to do things differently are poisonous people; they said that someone who continues to harp on something even after the group has decided to go in another direction can be a poisonous person. If something is that important to them, they can start their own project (one of the beauties of open source); if they prefer to shout and complain instead, tell me how that is any way helpful to the group.

They didn't use generalities. They gave very specific examples; things that they had personally experienced.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 pm 

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Let's say the project organizers have carefully delineated the project's direction…
But if the organizers are shaping the direction of the project on-the-fly…

This leads me to believe you are still thinking of this in relation to a directed projects. These are open source people working as a team and talking about practical application. The points of this video are for any online community. Especially where there is no central control.

I do not see where you get the idea they are advocating labeling people. I just don’t see it. Nowhere do I see these ideas leading one to label anyone a poisonous person.

Convenient terms are used because they are convenient and require little explanation. The whole point of the video is about real world action having consequences. Trying to be PC about things just clouds the issues.

I go along with Frisky. I came away with a very different perception.

Edit: change Now where to Nowhere

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Last edited by Nalates on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:05 am 

Sounds like it's more about preventing schism than change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 am 

zander_nyrond wrote:
The title of the topic contains the words "poisonous people", without quotes or qualifications or any explanation that the phrase is from the title of a video. Therefore my comment is on topic, since my issue is with the use of that phrase.

And way to prove my point, JWPlatt.

Have fun, people.

Sorry as I'm watching the video this post stuck out as a great example of what to look out for. I think its an example of "painting the bike shed". Much of the video seems to be in software process manager talk, poisonous people are basically people who cause paralysis in a project for various reasons. The pitfalls they discuss don't happen in propriety software because you have managers/tech leads who think of budgets, visions and deadlines. Open source projects have none of that and because its a volunteer project are more susceptible to those kind of arguments.

Listening to it I find it applicable to all online volunteer projects The Cavern Today suffered in exactly the way they described until certain people split off into CCN. Their point is while these people can be good people and might do some excellent work and make good points but these people can be harmful to the project if unchecked. They do this by causing a project to stop moving forward which if it happens to frequently and for too long will kill a volunteer project.

Simply put people volunteer their free time, if it ain't fun they won't do it. The best thing to do if find problem people and stop them "infecting" others.

PS this whole thread has to be massively ironic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3