It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rudolfson wrote:
We have not yet waited very long since shut down last year.

I have no doubt there are a number who will stick around regardless how long, but there is a growing number who are tired of waiting and are leaving. Maybe they will return if/when the Cavern returns, I guess time will tell.

But "we have not yet waited very long"??? I'm not sure how much longer I will wait. I would argue that 500 days falls well outside the definition of "not very long". I have a strong presence in other MMO's to occupy both my time and game subscriptions and I would not blame anyone who felt they had waitied long enough and decided to leave - or at least retire - from the Myst forums until there is something to come back to. I stopped my Age building months ago because it seemed pointless to try and create material for a game that does not exist - or shows any sign of existing.

Even being given a date or timescale to when we can expect the Cavern (or anything else) would do a lot to hold the community together. As it is, we have had zip. I seem to remember Chogon said around last Christmas something about releasing something "very soon". That was eight months ago.

Sure, Cyan have their own issues and reasons and I sincerely hope the Cavern does eventually come back, but I can't help get this feeling that the Cavern will never reopen and if it does, there will be hardly anyone left to see it (or perhaps even care about it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 pm 

What I see as a possibility is the fans having waited so long, they may eventually take matters into their own hands to keep the community alive. Uru Live will survive, no matter what happens to Cyan. The die hard fans will not allow it to vanish. Granted Uru live is a Cyan Creation and we all want to see Cyan Running in the Black like they where when Myst first came out and became so popular, put Uru live back on the official MMO map but time waits for no one. More MMO's are opening all the time and some may be better some not as good. In a competition your not gonna cross the finish line at all if you don't start the race

It kinda reminds me of a story I once heard about a bunch of kids who wanted to study so badly they broke into a library, and for no other reason then to study. do the ends justify the means?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:04 pm 

Ends justifying means... no. It does mitigate the out come. It also usually means those taking an expedient short cut to their ends got impatient, which is never a valid excuse. We may sympathize but allowing it ultimately leads to chaos.

Fans have created shards based on alcugs and possibly other server sides. But as far as I know all use a MOUL side client or the ABM client with modification. Until there is an open source client side, not much can be done to expand participation in fan run MOOS.

Karkadann, is right. Eventually fans will do something and to some measure already are.

That need for an open source client pushes the T'TUL (Time To Uru Live) farther into the future without Cyan releasing open source. I think something in 2009 is likely, especially if Cyan moves. I think something in 2010 is probable, if not.

I hope that if the movie takes off Cyan will have moved in time for the community to have something up in time for the new interest from it. The movie... may be 2010 early, late... I can't decide These fantasy movies are popular now. So studios will move. The Myst movie is prime candidate for a minor studio or producer to move on. It may look juicy enough to attract a bigger studio...

The economy in the tank (those most proclaiming recession is over are those that have yet to be right) will keep fantasy movies and escape entertainment popular. If they are right and we are recovering we still have to handle inflation, possibly hyper inflation in the US dollar and how that will shake down in regard to Cyan and the movie is anyone's guess. Whatever... sooner would be better for MOOS.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:44 pm 

Ghame wrote:
As it is, we have had zip.

There you go. Thats what I mean. The fact that Cyan showed they really wan't something to happen, wiggled the right free to do it, planned MORE, MORE got sunk, planned Open Source, reworked the website, explained that MYST for iphone had priority, explained that "something" was expected to solve itself in the meanwhile that didn't so a delay. Is that "zip" compared to complete silence with no effort whatsoever during the the 2 more years Turner would have owned the publishing rights. Turner sure paid for it.
"Zip" just beacuse nothing is in our hands yet. "Zip" because we now can wait with something to expect. Had it been as news was delivered last spring there would have been nothing to wait for.
Things will never be the same, but Cyan Worlds want the virtual world of URU to exist, and sooner with less rights maintained rather than maybe someday. That much we have seen. Fan work more fantastic than ever is produced right now. What does it matter that these forums become a little uninteresting while we wait for real progress updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:35 pm 

How bout December 21 2012

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 pm 

All signs point to MAYBE?!?!?!?

<Magic Eight Ball goes splat on wall>

Of all the recent cryptic post's I've seen regarding Open Uru Aka MORE I would guess the Cavern is one good "Puck" moment from launching or stalling out. I would love to think december 2009, but 2010 is just as likely. Our mystery coder may be their oracle guru and having to rewrite the database code from scratch, or just about any other guru for what ever propriatory software Cyan had tucked in there rewriting different hookups to use a free version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:20 pm 

Well, I haven't checked in since time in August, and I guess I haven't missed much. The bottom line is that we still don't have a cave or age to go to. I'm hoping this open version will come about, though. It would be nice to see everyone back in D'Ni where we belong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 am 

MO:ULagain launch date was February 8, 2010. Whose prediction was closest?

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Gondar wrote:
Roughly 50 days after the mystery coder submits the work to Cyan, at which point Chogon will (if not that day the next) let us know on the forums, and we'll get a spike in activity. There will be a lot of wondering, then dwindling to silence as we wait for them to "finish the code and tidy things up" as he'll probably put it. Then.. more silence.

Then suddenly BAM we'll be caught by surprise when Chogon announces it. At which point no one will know because the forums will crash within the next half hour. With that the download server will *also* crash under heavy load. It'll be up to the community websites to keep up to the moment links to the mirrors, which will become redundant (but kept) by the next day.

Then it'll dwindle off again to a quiet murmur of actual active projects for the code/ages/etc, and a lot of people still coming to ask how they get it despite the 20 stickied posts on every forum and board possible, each one to be noted "go see here" and closed by mods :P

I predicted middle of march.. so I guess I was a month and a bit off? Not bad.. but technically I'm the first to be wrong, because this is just MOULa NOT OpenUru.

I'd like to reference my post above.. while none of this has directly come to pass, I think it shows how creepily fluke-lucky I can get with predictions. Either that or the fact that I like to repeat obvious simple facts.. although technically it was the signup that crashed not the forums here, but the download also did. Oh, and we *were* taken utterly by surprise.

However, none of this is accurate, as I predicted the open source, which won't be for a long while. :? Better luck next time Gondar! :lol:

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5