It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 pm 

Mr Hyde would love to voice his opinions on that but Dr Jeckle will not let him, because its out of place.

Sorry I cant organize

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 pm 

Kark, perhaps it is only fair for me to add that I absolutely admire your devotion and desire for Uru Live to continue. Personally, I feel the ball lies with Cyan, and Cyan alone. Whether you can organize or not is not an issue at all. To organize, there must be something tangible to get a grip on. At this moment, there is no such thing. Your skills or lack thereof have nothing to do with what is currently (not) happening. By no means did I mean to be harsh towards you or others who so deeply want Uru back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 am 

Im just frustrated at the whole thing, personal im beginning to believe the "change in landscape" of myst online was originally nothing more then a new section in the forum, and the resurrection experiment, just to break even. After being reduced to three employees......just to break even. Common Cyan will not put Uru live back up, its their creation, its their call. and and I hafta except that. The optimism I found in the caverns and from the community has all but warn out.
Hope for me on this is a small flame in the distance nearing its end

I know it probably means nothing and I will aways be a fan of the Myst series but no longer a fan of Cyan. Im sorry

Cyan I know Im only one person among many and you will aways have a good fan base one or more people one way or another shouldn't mean much and if you ever wanna make me eat my words you will know where to find me.

just follow Pavlov dog

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:32 am 

Hmm reading your reply I think perhaps you got the wrong impression when I said the ball lies with Cyan. I don't mean to say the community can't do a thing, heck, I have more trust in some than I can tell you :wink: And I certainly did not wish to imply that I am a blind worshiper of Cyan. I am not one to hang out dirty laundry though, not even another's. You are not likely to hear negative words from me about Cyan, not because I don't have them, but I don't believe in spouting them especially publicly for all to read.

However, in order to provide either open source, or an online Uru, none of us can grab the bull by the horns and say "Right, this is what we are going to do..."

Why not? Several reasons but I'll mention a few:

1) You may, nay, WILL be violating at least some rights of Cyan, Ubisoft, Gametap and lord knows who else. I don't think many of us are lawyers, therefore we cannot create a solid plan that is within their copyright boundaries.
2) There is not a chance in the world that you can get more than 1% of the community on your side, fractured, divided and scattered as it is. There has to be a body steering the ship, and most are more inclined to follow Cyan's instructions rather than you, me or John/Jane Doe.
3) What if somebody here spends 3 years of their life creating a solid, sturdy, fool proof plan and gets 99% of the community behind them, and Cyan comes back (see point 1) and says SORRY no dice, we have OTHER plans... what would you do?

In short, not being able to do anything is not so much a matter of "being a fan" of Cyan or blindly trusting in them, it's more that "going ahead with open source without them" (as you wished for in your first post in this thread) is simply impractical, if not impossible.

I fully realize Cyan may not be able to put Uru live back up, in fact I don't think they will, not soon anyway (PLEASE prove me wrong, Cyan, I beg you!), but my point was neither will this community. It is nice to dream, but sometimes realism has to kick in... so we go back to dreaming and not making concrete plans simply because we can't :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 am 

If you watch the Mysterum 2009 Q&A, Karkadann, maybe that'll give you some hope.

Cyan's not dead or near-dead, their Myst iPhone app was a hit and they're getting additional work beyond that. They actually were talking about rehiring some people after Myst came out on the iPhone.

They're still in a fairly tough place right now, it's true, but it's clear that Rand Miller not only wants to open source Uru, but to have an official Cyan-run shard as well.

I think that if Cyan's condition improves financially and they keep getting funding from Sunsoft and other publishers, and their current summer project with the Plasma 3 engine is a success, that open source Uru will happen.

Also, the Myst movie provides a possible means through which the Myst fandom, the Myst franchise, and with the franchise, Cyan's financial condition, might well experience a resurgence.

I'm willing to wait on Cyan Worlds a while longer. There's still hope.

The ending has not yet been written...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:23 am 

Well keep the home fires burning, this old pessimist has run out of wood to stoke the fires with

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:45 am 

matthornb wrote:
The ending has not yet been written...

The ending can never be written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 am 

so , i commented on the sad state of the website and it's eternal lack of updatedness and this (as usual) has become some beleaguered debate about the Guild of Writers and why we are stuck in a quagmire of nothingness.

great

it may save the forums some room if all of the post replies were simply put into one long thread .... they are generally the same anyway WAY OFF TOPIC FROM THE ORIGINAL POST !!!

<me goes back to lurking the forums>

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:01 pm 

OK back on topic. latest news...............................................something is brewing within the Cyan office, people waiting with baited breath for any update that will bring hope back to those who have all but lost it. Some have resorted to using remote viewing technique (or astral projection ) to see what happening, the smell of freshly brewed coffee lingers (somebody brought a French press) threw-out Cyan, a box of donuts sitting by the coffee maker ( where on earth did they get a coffee cup like that) everybody on their PC working on some kind of technical stuff. one is reading this very thread wondering "what in H, E, double toothpicks is going on", another is shuffling threw some papers trying to find (no it couldn't be) a cheat sheet :lol: in the mean time still another is trying to figure out a way to run something in the back ground without slowing down the Mystonline forums.

Someone is reading on how the lack of sunlight can cause depression and the certain food effects mood. all the additions ehhem for Uru are on a separate PC in the Cyan offices and is updated from time to time "Better make it look good Writers guess who's downloading your work"

Stay tooned for more right here
same bat time same bat channel

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 pm 

Soup_Fork wrote:
so , i commented on the sad state of the website and it's eternal lack of updatedness and this (as usual) has become some beleaguered debate about the Guild of Writers and why we are stuck in a quagmire of nothingness.

great

it may save the forums some room if all of the post replies were simply put into one long thread .... they are generally the same anyway WAY OFF TOPIC FROM THE ORIGINAL POST !!!

It's all related Soup_Fork, there is no news because there simply is nothing new to say, so we get wound up over nothing, and say too much about nothing... really when there is nothing to say I must learn to say nothing. I'm sorry I derailed your thread. I'll go back to lurking too, much easier that way. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 pm 

Soup_Fork wrote:

great

Well... I think they are answering the question what are you going to do about the sad state of affairs? It would seem just lurking is part of the problem.

Soup, you made 2 posts in the thread. Both negative and did not offer a positive solution, any solution. JWP's answer is teasing (at least I'll take it that way) and positive. I don't see anyone really slamming GoW even if some can take it as a dig (which may have had multiple targets).

The idea has come up before of making a shard from just the fan created ages. GoW is walking a no wait on Cyan route to some extent. Could we use alcugs and adapt something like the SL open source viewer for the client side? That would give us 100% fan created project (server, client, content), which we could add the MOUL content to when open source comes along. Would that fix S_F's problem with the forum?

To S-F's more direct question about the sad state of MystOnline.com... If there is no new news, what is it you (S-F) propose doing?

I understand people wanting to complain and vent. For those that want to complain and vent may be we should adopt the principles of the poisonous people thread forum wide. Complain and offer a solution or be quiet. I tried to make my 'Whatcha gonna do' a polite 'code please?' twice now.

As to off-topic... I don't think so. I disagree with Sophia as I think they have broadened the topic. But that is perception so she may be right.

If we want a more positive experience here for new people and existing fans checking in then we need to make that happen. Doing something positive is likely to help.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Karkadann wrote:
OK back on topic. latest news...............................................something is brewing within the Cyan office, people waiting with baited breath for any update that will bring hope back to those who have all but lost it. Some have resorted to using remote viewing technique (or astral projection ) to see what happening, the smell of freshly brewed coffee lingers (somebody brought a French press) threw-out Cyan, a box of donuts sitting by the coffee maker ( where on earth did they get a coffee cup like that) everybody on their PC working on some kind of technical stuff. one is reading this very thread wondering "what in H, E, double toothpicks is going on", another is shuffling threw some papers trying to find (no it couldn't be) a cheat sheet :lol: in the mean time still another is trying to figure out a way to run something in the back ground without slowing down the forums.

Someone is reading on how the lack of sunlight can cause depression and the certain food effects mood. all the additions ehhem for Uru are on a separate PC in the Cyan offices and is updated from time to time "Better make it look good Writers guess who's downloading your work"

Stay tooned for more right here
same bat time same bat channel

Excellent Update, Karkadann! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:32 pm 

Latest update...

Cyan CEO's and the big cheese, (just out of curiosity) started surfing this forum along with severely others from Cyan with their morning coffee HI GUYS just to see whats going on in the Myst community (a little spare time) still drinking out of that unusual coffee cup...coffee with no Irish whiskey sugar and whipped cream ........blaaaaach) started re-evaluating open source and its potential taking into consideration what happens with GT, UBI, UU, and Myst onlines present status. trying to learn from each experiment as much as they can (remember an experiment can never fail unless you learn nothing from it)

One of them was heard saying
"well im glad the forums are running a bit faster and the play tab was updated"
"while other two look with amazement at what the Guild of Writers are coming up with
"how in the heck did they figure that out"
"yeah I don't ever remember having that on Relto"
'I-doe-know I kinda like it"
"Its to bad we don't have the resources to open source at the moment they seem to be doing better then could have been expected"

the underlining issues preventing Open source are being resolved but they did not acure over night and will not be dealt with any quicker,we feel the problems have been identified and we are trying to isolate it as we speak but are unwilling to discuss it on an open forum.

the box of donuts from yesterday is empty however someone forgot to throw the box away and clean up the mess in the break room and the coffee grounds have been left in the French press for the weekend and will most likely be moldy by the time they open up shop

and thats all for now this has been a Looney Toon News update

Now stop encouraging me or I'll come up with a third update

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
I would highly encourage and support anyone who was capable of doing so to write and submit a serious proposal to Cyan with an offer of assistance and/or setting up a legitmate shard.

Loads of information and resources can be found on the Open Uru site. See the signature of the facetious guy above for a link. :wink:

Unfortunately, the closest we'd get to a shard would be an Alcugs Shard (which is very different from the MOUL client). Those involve patching a singleplayer install of Uru to support multiplayer, and are not without their slew of bugs and glitches. Nothing against Alcugs shards (I've heard they were great during the UU era) but they just aren't the same as MOUL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Ya know, there's another way of looking at this: one we've all managed to overlook and take for granted - even though it's right in front of us and staring us in the face...

Cyan has devoted an entire site to Myst Online. You're looking at it. Not just a thread. Not just a forum. This whole mystonline.com site we're looking at, complete with graphics. Now, if THAT doesn't tell you they're determined to make Myst Online (in whatever form) work, what will? (I mean, besides actually having it up and running.)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next