It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

C & D = "Cease and Desist"

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:48 pm 

"By reading this post, you agree to be legally bound to sending Dustin $100."

Fortunately for you, the law doesn't work the way you imagine it to ;) EULAs are effective at serving as disclaimers, however. And I can also send a cease and desist letter to whoever I like, but that does not make it legally enforceable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:52 pm 

Well they say a lock is just their to keep an honest man honest.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:26 am 

The difference is that Cyan has legal grounds to disallow the server (Intellectual property, of themselves and included tools), even if they said they planned to make it OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:47 pm 

You're quite mistaken, Sensei. Take a look at all the reverse-engineered servers out there... including ones that are reverse-engineered, made into a salable product, and sold at a profit. Some of these are open-source, some are not. Sometimes the company hates that this happens, but they usually recognise that the law is not how you imagine it is. Sometimes a company will bring a lawsuit against the other product's company, but in my experience, such a lawsuit is typically not successful. So no, they don't have legal grounds to disallow the servers in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:46 pm 

Everybody seems to have a different opinion on the legal matters involving Uru live and illegal shards, ext ext the hackers seem to be proud of what they have done concerning Until Uru and related matters, and I have heard that Until Uru was full of bugs lag and crashes

After poking at both sides for what ever info I can get I find myself no closer then I was when I started about two or so mouths ago. Then I remembered why I originally joined Myst online, I wanted to see the new ages I came expecting updates to the existing ages and new ages as elaborate and as detailed as Gahreesen and Taladahn.

I Signed up for a gold account and was gonna wait for the second season in hopes that I will find what I expected........................Now I find myself wondering what they would have done for a second season. all the questionable information I have accumulated over the last year or so leaves more questions then answerer.

One of the question that is prominent is my mind concerns the shard wars and how will they effect the open source project
Security is another, and how will they deal with random situations that have the potential to poison open source.
and what did they have in mind for a second season?

Well Is it second season yet

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:09 pm 

Karkadann, the legal matters get confusing because most of us don’t define our terms. Also, many of us use ambiguous terms. For instance ddb174 refers to “reverse-engineered servers”. But does not define how it was reverse engineered. A Chinese-wall can be used by the developer to create a compatible server and avoid copyright and other legal restrictions and produce a legally reverse engineered product. Historically it was never possible to forbid someone to reverse engineer and from a practical enforcement perspective it still is. It is a historic process legally used by many software houses for years. The DMCA changes lots of things in the US and similar laws in parts of Europe.

There are rational, credible opinions on how Uru could be run without violating copyright and EULA… or may be just bending EULA. But they are technical and filled with complexity many disagree with. We’ll never come to consensus. So, if you were looking for solid information in that area, give up. I avoid the issues and play stand-alone only.

It may be the disagreement on issues that keeps Uru alive.

The second season... I don't think anyone from Cyan is talking.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:43 am 

Jamey wrote:
In response to the title of the topic:

If Uru was truly "dead", both we, and Cyan, would not be here right now.

Cyan still cares about Uru, and so do I. I may not be able to get on these forums as much as I'd like to, but that doesn't mean I haven't given up.

We need to stay supportive of Cyan and dedicated to them, because the day we stop supporting them, is the day that they, and Uru, will most likely truly die.

I love Cyan, and I don't plan on letting them down anytime soon. It is my hope that everyone else here feels the same way about them.

I believe Jamey is absolutely right. Although I know I haven't had much interest in posting on these forums much, I still check back quite often in hopes of seeing a new update, post, or anything that lets us know they are still working things out.

I think right now I've decided to post to show that I still support Cyan. I just hope that they know that we are counting on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:33 am 

Hai folks,

In a kinda support and tangent to what DB was saying I produce some evidence of the difficulties in copyright and license legalities. Most of the time it has nothing to do with who is wrong and who is right, but who you are and what position your in.

Read up on this. It's important to read the second link in the article as well.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 24/1449254

I think this is a fine example of how difficult it is to prosecute When you find someone using your software.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:32 pm 

There is no honour in boasting about breaking laws, rules and respect because one wants to grief Cyan or make points in a negative way.

There is great honour in being patient and waiting for the return of URU and MOUL which most of us are doing with decency and respect. URU will be back, Cyan has promised.

And as far as the ongoing gossip about rights, there is no point to the talk. They own the game, they made it and they can decide what happens with it. Any other game community knows this, and most of us do too.

Enjoy the day, and see you all soon in the Cavern.

Shorah and Peace.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:23 pm 

CrisGer wrote:
URU will be back, Cyan has promised.

Cyan is not God. God always does what he promises, Cyan does what they can. Lately they have not done anything, with URU. Those are the facts. Sadly. I think URU is dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:33 pm 

Paradise wrote:
CrisGer wrote:
URU will be back, Cyan has promised.

Cyan is not God. God always does what he promises, Cyan does what they can. Lately they have not done anything, with URU. Those are the facts. Sadly. I think URU is dead.

Cyan actually never said that they "promise" to release open-source Uru. But going by the assumption that what Cyan says is a promise...

They promised in 2006 to release their Age Creation tools and info so that fan-Ages could be built in MOUL.
They promised in 2006 to keep UU running. (Don't start this argument again, whether it made sense or not to shut down UU, they *did* say it would remain open.)
They promised in 2008 to work with GoW and GoMa to handle FCALs.
They promised in August to post a new update in the "near future". The end of October is not the "near future" from August as far as I can tell.

The sad fact is that Cyan has a bit of a history of "promising" things, and not following through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 pm 
To the question: no.

Reasoning: what do we get from deciding, here on this forum, that Uru is dead? We get back the minimal amount of time we spend checking this forum. What do we lose? Well, if Uru comes back, presumably someone may think to tell us, so we don't lose anything. If Uru doesn't come back, we lose nothing anyway. But, if the decision at Cyan whether or not to put the effort into bringing Uru back rests on the fan presence on this forum, and the fan presence on this forum isn't there because a majority of us have decided it's dead...

Work it out for yourself. I choose life for Uru. I choose to wait and to hope. Maybe in vain. I can live with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:06 pm 

BAD wrote:
Hai folks,

In a kinda support and tangent to what DB was saying I produce some evidence of the difficulties in copyright and license legalities. Most of the time it has nothing to do with who is wrong and who is right, but who you are and what position your in.

Read up on this. It's important to read the second link in the article as well.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 24/1449254

I think this is a fine example of how difficult it is to prosecute When you find someone using your software.

It also gives a hint at how complex it can be to to open source previously closed software and be in compliance with all licenses that are involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
There is no honour in boasting about breaking laws, rules and respect because one wants to grief Cyan or make points in a negative way.

There is great honour in being patient and waiting for the return of URU and MOUL which most of us are doing with decency and respect. URU will be back, Cyan has promised.

And as far as the ongoing gossip about rights, there is no point to the talk. They own the game, they made it and they can decide what happens with it. Any other game community knows this, and most of us do too.

Enjoy the day, and see you all soon in the Cavern.

Shorah and Peace.

Learn to read man. You're not so high and mighty. Nor is Cyan.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next