It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I would like to inject my 2 cents here for whatever it is worth.

Hear hear...glad you made that post Badger...Brings it into perspective..hmmm

Quote:
But, I am prepaird
I'm hoping to be prepaid as well...lol... be good all.. life is too short to argue about all these silly things...We all want URU-LIVE (MORE ---- MOOSE-----Whatever) to thrive again...sooner than later for most.
Just nature of the beast.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 pm 

Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live with William Shatner.

"For crying out loud - It's just a TV-show"

btw. I have friend who saw that appearence and was not amused at all :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:06 pm 

Well getting back to the subject Is it actually gonna happen? If it does I hope the people running it don't get as irrational as I get sometime

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:40 pm 

Rudolfson wrote:
Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live with William Shatner.

"For crying out loud - It's just a TV-show"

btw. I have friend who saw that appearence and was not amused at all :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x930vt ... n?from=rss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:20 pm 

OUCH

are we that bad...............

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Lake water is good... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:57 pm 

so are mind altering drugs until they take over your life :D

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
OUCH

are we that bad...............
Certainly not, nor are the vast majority of Trekkies, Trekkers or other science fiction and fantasy fans.

But having attended, and even helped put on a number of conventions, I can tell you from experience that the various media groups just love to perpetuate this myth. They'll actively seek out the weirdest looking attendees to interview and tape, and many members of the groups go a bit "over the top", playing up to the cameras, giving them what they want.

Most hotels and convention centers actually LIKE hosting SF and Fantasy conventions, at least once they get to know us... We're among the "least destructive" and friendliest groups out there. And since many of us are "well paid professionals" in our day jobs, we spend money at the hotels, local restaurants and other shops. On the other hand, if we are not treated well by a hotel, they learn very quickly just how connected we are. Some hotels have found this out the hard way when several other seemingly unrelated weekend conventions and a long list of off-site business meetings/functions were canceled... And if things get really bad, we have a number of lawyers among those professionals... :twisted:

That's not to say that there isn't really some level of "geekiness" in the groups. If you ever watch a TV program called "Big Bang Theory", many of the characters are composites of people I know from SE Michigan fandom. (Not too much of a surprise, as one of the creators is from this area.) :roll:

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:36 pm 

I knew a big dog that was kinda like that, friendliest dog you'll ever meet until it was provoked or teased

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Robin wrote:
If you ever watch a TV program called "Big Bang Theory", many of the characters are composites of people I know from SE Michigan fandom. (Not too much of a surprise, as one of the creators is from this area.) :roll:

I love this show, but always presumed that the characters were based on some of my friends from Uru. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:53 pm 

On the subject of the SNL skit.
Well if the skit was "the truth" then it would not be funny. But I won't delve deeper into the psychology of humor right now. (dry cough)

I just wan't to put us back on the track of the thread to once again state that:

Yes! It very much will happen. Ever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:44 pm 

Alrighty...

URU is basically flatlining right now. Aside from hacking, which Cyan does not affiliate themselves with for legal reasons (and therefore will never really be able to become popular and gain public support). However it isn't dead, it could and probably will still be resurrected when Cyan gets the time. It should be no problem for modders to go hog wild with an agenda and chain of command once the licensed tools are removed.

Presently the hacked stuff is most certainly not doing any harm. Cyan has dissociated themselves, and with that the legal risk. There's an infinitesimally small chance of a lawsuit directly towards the hackers, but really- it's piracy case. These things just slip away. Hundreds of that sort of program (Bink, 3DS, Adobe tools) escape to countries that don't enforce copyright and data licensing law.

In fact, if the hackers managed to remove these there's even an (infinitesimally small) chance that Cyan would just okay that build, and again people could go hog wild with it.

Once it's open, I've got no worries. There's enough support in the form of modelers, coders, and networking to make it happen on a community basis. There would be chaos, and growing pains, but URU would live. And by whatever road I expect it to get to that point eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
OK then I challenge the Hackers of Uru

Prove me wrong, prove that you can run Uru live and prove that you can keep it safe from malicious code and software, prove you can maintain a stable publicly accessible Uru Live, and most of all Prove you can keep it running where everyone else failed. Prove to Cyan that you can figure out the Open source code and carry Uru live into the next incarnation and prove you can do it better, prove you can deal with the public and everything they might throw at you. become if you can't Uru Live may be doomed to fail again its all up to you, the hackers of Uru live, can you be trusted I don't know.

You guys like a good challenge

Quote:
That's because the community has stayed alive and active in the two years since "Uru Live" died, mainly through an unsupported freeware program called "Until Uru" that Cyan made available to anyone who wanted to host versions of it on their own servers.

One of the reasons we were so attracted to 'Uru Live' for GameTap is that it had this persistent group that kept it alive during the dark days of it not being a product," said Ricardo Sanchez, GameTap's vice president of content. "There's a community that would love to see it brought back."

from here http://news.cnet.com/Online-game-rising ... g=nefd.top

i am one of the old hackers and an ex shard owner and i hate to pop your bubble bit it was the owners, hacker's and players of Until URU the keep uru alive for 3 years and may have been why GT took MOUL Thank you all who stuck with it for 3 years.

so you tell me why this group of players would hack MOUL and risk it being canceled

as for Proving you wrong we already have then fans have run URU longer then any one so far 3 years and with out the source code for it..

and like many have posted Cyan is working on MagiQuest right now and does not have the time to get the code for MOUL ready for us witch i think is good i would like to see Cyan be able to bring MOUL back on there own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:50 pm 

Sensei wrote:
Alrighty...

URU is basically flatlining right now. Aside from hacking, which Cyan does not affiliate themselves with for legal reasons (and therefore will never really be able to become popular and gain public support). .

Am I missing something here I don't get this part. If Cyan does not affiliat themselves with hackers it will never gain public support? Unless I read it wrong. I thought the majority of the Myst community enjoyed the game for what it is, and only a small group enjoyed hacking the game in the same way the rest enjoy being part of it.

IM SOOO CONFUUUUSED

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Needs more Lake water to understand... :wink:

It will gain public support with/without Cyan... :shock:

URU has a life of its own, has for years... :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next