It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:29 pm 

Quote:
It will gain public support with/without Cyan.

OK then who needs Cyan or for that matter who needs open source.........go for it

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:24 am 

[spoiler=quote]
Karkadann wrote:
Sensei wrote:
Alrighty...

URU is basically flatlining right now. Aside from hacking, which Cyan does not affiliate themselves with for legal reasons (and therefore will never really be able to become popular and gain public support). .

Am I missing something here I don't get this part. If Cyan does not affiliat themselves with hackers it will never gain public support? Unless I read it wrong. I thought the majority of the Myst community enjoyed the game for what it is, and only a small group enjoyed hacking the game in the same way the rest enjoy being part of it.

IM SOOO CONFUUUUSED

[/spoiler]
I mean, that the present hacked version is rather in legal gray territory. That, as well as Cyan not allowing any links on their page and a disapproval message (which I will admit didn't say cease and desist, and probably for a reason) means that it can't really get publicity.

If it did gain publicity... then there's some risk going on, what with the Bink and 3DS tools that have been left in there. Like I said, it's entirely possible that some hacker will (illegally, technically) remove said tools, essentially doing what Cyan has been trying to do for a while now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 pm 

the bottom line is cyan needs to work on projects that make money (or hopefully make money) such as magiquest and myst for the iphone (please riven please please), and uru isn't one of those. i'm sure they want uru as much as we do but there has to be a cyan in order for that to happen. as far as the hacked versions, there is no grey area. they are a violation of cyan IP, just like any hacked version of any commercial software. and as such, people will make excuses for why they run them to try and legitimize it. this is especially true for shards, which are in no possible way sanctioned by cyan. play the hacked stuff if you want but don't make it sound like you're anywhere within legal territory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm 

Firesign wrote:
the bottom line is cyan needs to work on projects that make money (or hopefully make money) such as magiquest and myst for the iphone (please riven please please), and uru isn't one of those. i'm sure they want uru as much as we do but there has to be a cyan in order for that to happen. as far as the hacked versions, there is no grey area. they are a violation of cyan IP, just like any hacked version of any commercial software. and as such, people will make excuses for why they run them to try and legitimize it. this is especially true for shards, which are in no possible way sanctioned by cyan. play the hacked stuff if you want but don't make it sound like you're anywhere within legal territory.

Alcugs server are legal, and open-source. So you can potentially run an Uru server without infringing on any of Cyan's IP if you either provide all your own datafiles, or by requiring the users to have their own datafiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 am 

The stranger wrote:
You know, playing the game isn't the only reason I want Uru to be available. I want Uru to be available, because the day it will come, I can do a big "IN YOUR FACE" to everyone who were so sure it won't :lol: .

Sadly it may very likely not come :lol: still, I wouldn't be so negative about it. When one is *certain* Uru will not return, it's not being realistic anymore, it's just being negative.

Sorry to be so "negative", but I'm pretty certain that Uru has come and gone. The "awesome" graphics of the early 2000's are now dated, the community is scattered, and it sure as heck seems like a handful of hard-core fans almost ENJOY slamming anyone who voices doubts that Uru can be viable.

Cyan, the company and its employees, are working on paying endeavors. Uru has failed twice. I don't want to see Cyan's product fail a third time.

Seriously, why would it be a bad thing, letting Uru rest in peace?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:23 am 

It's completely up to you if you feel Uru, after it's gone through this next turn in it's twisting, rich history, is suitable to be referred to as "alive".

The good thing about when the fans get it back running is that people have a choice to either believe Uru has died or Uru has been reborn. Uru I believe is dead for those who say active, high-quality fan stuff is less fun than the kind of content Cyan made for MOUL (modern soap operas taking the place of backstory and meaning in ages). However, if you're willing to be creative and don't demand a consumer-game type experience, I think Uru still exists for you.

Uru will never be the same when it comes back, that's for sure. Hmm, hasn't that been said all the times it's died before?

I don't really care about a multiplayer Uru as much as at least one multiplayer Myst game. If that means multiplayer RealMyst (Plasma 1) instead of Uru, that's fine, actually it's great because it'd be new and exciting.

Last edited by Lontahv on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:23 am 

I don't know, it's a nice game. Why *should* we let it in peace? it's not a dead person, it's a video game. Even you, deep inside, know that there's the slightest chance it will come back, remember how and when gametap came? so why give up that chance?

We took everything off Cyan Worlds. They don't have to make to new content. They don't have to look over what players do and autherize stuff. All they have to do is give us the game. It's not that hard really. It's a small thing, so there are some chances that it will be back, in my eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:35 am 

Quote:

I would like to know one way or another

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:47 am 

Karkadann wrote:
Quote:

I would like to know one way or another

It wouldn't; since 2004 many people have left Uru for dead, and their reasons for doing so are logical. Granted, there are still those who want to continue to make or play with Uru, but they don't make the game any less dead for those who've gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:40 am 

Well at least we can bring some more people in as time goes by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Dr Britcom Mom wrote:
The stranger wrote:
You know, playing the game isn't the only reason I want Uru to be available. I want Uru to be available, because the day it will come, I can do a big "IN YOUR FACE" to everyone who were so sure it won't :lol: .

Sadly it may very likely not come :lol: still, I wouldn't be so negative about it. When one is *certain* Uru will not return, it's not being realistic anymore, it's just being negative.

Sorry to be so "negative", but I'm pretty certain that Uru has come and gone. The "awesome" graphics of the early 2000's are now dated, the community is scattered, and it sure as heck seems like a handful of hard-core fans almost ENJOY slamming anyone who voices doubts that Uru can be viable.

Cyan, the company and its employees, are working on paying endeavors. Uru has failed twice. I don't want to see Cyan's product fail a third time.

Agreed. I really think if we don't see some activity soon, then maybe its time to call it a day. Uru was great, it has its place in game history, but perhaps the time is rapidly approaching when it would appear to be unlikely we will ever see the Cavern again. I just wish someone from Cyan would give an update and say if its actually going to happen or not - or at least give some indication how much progress has been to get this released or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:35 pm 

Quote:

They won't produce fail for a third time. That's why it's called "Open Source". We mostly do everything.

Why would it be a bad thing? because Uru is a very nice game, with lot's of fun stuff. Seriously, why would it be a bad thing, waiting until we know something official about the future of Uru?

We don't need to force Cyan Worlds to shut down Uru. It seems they are quite tired too, but quite a few of us aren't. And that's why it's open source. Let's say it this way: if they keep us waiting until they really decide what to do- kill it or grow it- than only a small group of fans will stay around. If they just announce it dead- they loss everyone. Not very good, I guess.

Quote:
I just wish someone from Cyan would give an update and say if its actually going to happen or not

Well I see too many people sliding to the "not" side. Actually they have a good reason- there are like 95% Uru won't come back. But are we businessman? if you like Uru, and don't have trouble waiting (it's just a game after all), why encouraging them to call it a day, if there's still a chance it will come back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:02 pm 

Yes! It's the part where despairing Denethor wants to die with his son rather than wait out the dawn. Why was that bad?
Leave us hang arounders in peace and stop annoying the builders.
People are obviously using URU for many things. Adding Fan ages, adding moul ages, blowing up Karkadann's hard drive etc..

Chuckle. I use Tolkien for examples, not Sofokles or Dante. Does that make me a nerd? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:29 am 

Rudolfson wrote:
People are obviously using URU for many things. Adding Fan ages, adding moul ages, blowing up Karkadann's hard drive etc..

:sweeps up shrapnel: :wink:

how cool I found a rare earth magnet in my hard drive Now if I can only get it off the fridge

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Now if I can only get it off the fridge

Apply baby oil to surface of fridge and slide magnet to the edge and then pluck it off. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next