It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am 

... by admitting it's never going to release the source codes for MORE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:34 am 

"admit" sounds interesting. Do you have any inside source from Cyan Worlds who gave you this statement?

Otherwise we can never know. There are like 95% it won't come, and 5% it will. If it's such a misery for you to wait, than you may leave. For some of us it's not a misery, it's not like we pay a monthly fee for waiting. So why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:08 pm 

No inside source; just women's intuition. Cyan certainly knows we're emotionally invested in/passionate about MORE, and if it's merely stringing us along, I think it should come clean and tell us. In other words, I'd like to take the red pill and be freed from the Matrix. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I Believe, Cyan has not been stringing anyone along, they have been completely honest about their situation. They simply have not got enough time or manpower, and the resources they do have, need to be put to work on income producing projects. No sinister secrets, it's all been laid out for us many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 pm 

Susa'n wrote:
No inside source; just women's intuition. Cyan certainly knows we're emotionally invested in/passionate about MORE, and if it's merely stringing us along, I think it should come clean and tell us. In other words, I'd like to take the red pill and be freed from the Matrix. ;)

:lol: I like the pill idea.

Even if Cyan changes their mind, which I'm not sure they have, there is nothing to keep fans from developing their own alternate Uru. Yes, we would have to give up using Cyan textures and places like Ae'gura.

While we all recognize Uru by places, the places and puzzles are not all there is to Uru. Many see Uru as mostly the look & feel, non-violent form of game play and the fans. So, whether we get open source or not we can still have the spirit and style of the game. We can see much of that in the SL imitations. Devorkan is a good example of the Myst Style in SL without replication of any age. Flickr Link: Myst-Uru Devokan - See MOUL Thread: GoH October Ride for Joy in Devokan - See MOUL thread: Developments in Devokan - and we are not limited to Uru: Riven

We can easily create a spin off story line and new Nexus for the fan ages and have those up and running. Our only remaining obstacle is the viewer or client side. We use the existing ABM or MOUL 'explorer' (client side of the game), which restricts entrance to new players. If that is replaced then we can use the fan ages and alcugs server to have a complete fan owned and run game.

While that wouldn't be the Cavern or Uru it will have the core things most fans enjoy. When its a spin-off or nothing...

The point being, while many of us beleive OS is coming, even if it isn't, the Myst Style will continue and we will have something.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm 

Yeah, if you feel that stressed, maybe you should leave, atleast until you think you can handle the waiting. I'm sure Cyan Worlds doesn't want anyone to feel like that.

But hey, it's not fair to bust everything for us. They can't admit they won't give Uru, because they may give it. The chances are really small, but it's not like we need to pay to stay here or something. It's a game, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Susa'n wrote:
No inside source; just women's intuition.

Does "women's intuition" remember to "admit" when it's wrong once the future presents itself as proving otherwise?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:00 pm 

The stranger wrote:
"admit" sounds interesting. Do you have any inside source from Cyan Worlds who gave you this statement?

Otherwise we can never know. There are like 95% it won't come, and 5% it will. If it's such a misery for you to wait, than you may leave. For some of us it's not a misery, it's not like we pay a monthly fee for waiting. So why not?

Kinda harsh ...

Take some time out yourself as well ... sounds like your hitting limits as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:14 pm 

This is nothing new from Cyan; they've been like this a long, long time. Their dishonesty is a common kind, and like a politician's: they are not intending to lie, per-se, it's just that when it comes time to make good on their word, they find that they prefer not to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

ddb174 wrote:
This is nothing new from Cyan; they've been like this a long, long time. Their dishonesty is a common kind, and like a politician's: they are not intending to lie, per-se, it's just that when it comes time to make good on their word, they find that they prefer not to.

Well which is it? You say they don't intend to lie but then you say they "prefer not to" make good on their word. That sounds to me like you are indeed implying intent. How hard is it to understand that they are unable to, as you put it, make good on their word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:17 pm 

I think this conversation points out something more important than the actual topic itself, and that is this...

We have been waiting for a long, long time. We have been loyal for a long, long time. We have offered countless ideas, suggestions, and options to Cyan that we hoped would help them. I never expected them to take them all seriously, but so far, none of them have really even been acknowledged. The fact of the matter is, they have put Uru very low on the priority list, but unfortunately, they have put this community very low on the priority list as well.

It's obvious they don't have the resources to work on Uru, which is perfectly understandable. What is not understandable is the level of disconnectedness that they have developed between themselves and the only real fanbase they have. Quite frankly, were it not for us, a lot of the things they do (and have done) probably wouldn't even get noticed. What worked well last time Uru crashed was Cyan acknowledging the tenacity of the fanbase by providing UU, and that action, even though Cyan did not gain from it at the time, eventually led to them having a chance at MO:UL. Were it not for that gesture of offering a reward to the fans for their loyalty, they would probably not even be a company right now-- the fact that UU existed at the time Gametap took interest in Uru Live proved the game was still viable and the new project kept the company afloat.

Honestly I think it's a bad business decision to cut their fans off in the way that they have.

Clearly they have nothing to announce, and that is why they are silent. But that is not an excuse. I'm certain that if they took a two hour meeting in a conference room and went over ideas, they would be able to come up with some options for starting Uru again, or at least opened up dialogue with the GoW and the fanbase. I know what the answer is-- "they're too busy working on MQO to notice us." Well, how about this; I'm too busy to play MQO, or any other Cyan product, for that matter, because if I am going to devote time and energy into following their work, then I at least expect some acknowledgment of my loyalty to their products, and I have received none.

All Cyan has really offered is the consolation that they want to release the source-code. But wanting to do it is not the same as having a plan. And if a plan to release it truly is not viable, then they need to be honest about that with the community. Give us specifics; will it cost them money? Who is involved and why are they unable to do it? What are the legal ramifications of other alternatives? Last I heard, it was down to one guy to finish some bits and pieces of the code in order to get it to the fans. Well, what would it take to get him to finish it? What could the fans do to help? What would be the expected loss of productivity due to diverting his attention to another project? Is this person even employed by Cyan anymore?

These are all questions that could so easily be answered with just a little honesty and a willingness to devote a little time to our thoughts. Cyan has a history of playing their cards close to their chest, but as far as I can tell, this is not a situation where that tactic is going to benefit them at all, and is actually hurting their support, not helping it. We have no way of knowing if Cyan the company even knows about our discontent, because they choose not to acknowledge it!

Let me put it as clearly as possible: this state of limbo is KILLING their one and only fanbase. Cyan needs to know this. The longer they wait, the fewer people will be around to play Uru, and the less reason there will be to release it.

I don't care if Chogon has to print this thread out, staple it together and put it on Rand's desk. I want some communication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well said. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:59 pm 

Quote:
this state of limbo is KILLING their one and only fanbase

as many disagreements I/we have had over the many subjects over he year concerning Uru live I think this is one thing we may all be able to agree upon.

They said we where some of the best fans in the world............why

a horses age can be determined by the length of its teeth. if you never look a gift horse in the mouth you will never know how old it is, and if you don't know that you may over burden it with something its no longer able to do as of a result of old age.

all we seem to be asking for is some acknowledgment, geezz if you dont have time let the GOW figure out the Open Source Code they seem to have hacked it from stem to stern already I cant see this being much different just more of a challenge

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon posted this about Uru Aug. 30th:
Quote:
Cyan Worlds will in the near future reveal it's future plans and intensions. Hopefully, with a town hall kind of meeting, questions can be answered and a way forward charted.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=301952&highlight=#301952

Opinions will vary on the definition of "near future," but the amount of patience shown by many in this community is approaching saint-like. Then again, what choice do we have other than to be patient?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:21 pm 

I agree with Calam. We are waiting. We didn't give up hope, though we don't have as much hope as we had in the past. Where is that town hall Chogon mentioned? :?

Quote:
Take some time out yourself as well

I'm fine thank you very much. I'm just acting rationally, at least the way I see as rationally. There's no way for us to know if Uru returns, or if it doesn't.

As I said, I'm serious. If it's a "misery" for you to wait, if it really bothers you, you don't have to wait for Cyan Worlds to "release" you. But hey, it's not fair to bust the thing for us as well. Leave this slight chance Uru will return to us. And you know there is one, even if it's really small :wink: .

We'll see what comes up in the future.

Last edited by ThedStranger on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next