It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 pm 

Alex-Macintosh wrote:
Susa'n wrote:

So very glad they've tried so many things to help get OS:MO out there to the fans, even though nothings worked. I'm even more glad that they're still trying and still not giving up on this.

I really wish they said they'd be open to donations, I'm sure a large number of fans would donate in support of Cyan.

I kinda understand why a company thats the in business of making money off of their product has some legal issues as far as taking donations is concerned, but I'm wondering since their not gonna make any profit from open source (the way I understand it) if their is a way to donate exclusively to that one none profitable project they plan on working on and if so do they have the time to set something up to accommodate whats needed

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 am 

Interesting note about the donations....URU has such a fanatical fan base, I bet plenty of people would donate...other open source projects (like Blender, or, possibly wikipedia counts as an "open source project") can be donated to. It's just the legal issues that come along with it.

It would be wise to allow donations once the source code is released, because something gotta keep the servers running :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:30 am 
Creative Kingdoms

MegalomaniacalBahro wrote:
Interesting note about the donations... It's just the legal issues that come along with it.

Baloney.

There are no legal issues. I don't know why this is such a common misperception, but it's untrue. Websites all over the internet legally accept donations. It's just as legal for businesses as it is for non-profits. Wikipedia accepts donations. Uru Obsession accepts donations. There is nothing preventing anyone from setting up a "Donate Here!" button.

In fact, I'm going to quote myself:

JWPlatt wrote:
It is perfectly legal.

mszv wrote:
I can't see how Cyan could accept "donations". They are not a non profit institution, legally formed. The administrative costs, the tax implications of your "gift" - not good.

Okay, I've seen this claim made often enough without supporting documentation or references that it looks very suspiciously like a guess. So I did a search and came up with two links to refute the claim. They aren't authoritiative to be sure, but if someone wants to contact the IRS to do a more thorough job, they are welcome to spend time on it. Until then, here's the best believeable word on it I've seen so far.

This is a for-profit website which asks for donations:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/donate.htm

This is a business community forum thread where someone asks the question:
http://smallbusinessonlinecommunity.ban ... hread/4276

The hearsay advice from a CPA says to call it a sponsorship instead of a donation so that people are not misled into thinking it is a tax-deductible donation. The recipient should report it as income on their tax return. It's simple enough that a baton twirling teacher can manage it, and it certainly does not appear to be a big deal until you get into more complex items like donating automobiles and such.

This isn't to say Cyan should do it. It's unlikely they will. It's just to clear up the long-standing misinformation.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 924#271924

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm 

We can only speculate on why Cyan has not accepted donations… Oh wait… They like pizza and that has happened. :) Since they accept ‘gifts’, I would guess they see cash donations as coming with some obligation. Whether that is the case or it is some other reason, we won’t know unless they say something. (May be they have a pizza and beer addiction and can’t resist…)

When we see the licenses we will know what can be done in regard to financing servers and paying for bandwidth. Here (Could a donation fund be setup?) and at OpenUru.org (Funding and accounting for servers) it’s been discussed. Some expect the licenses to make Open Uru a not-for-profit. If that is the case, it could create some accounting problems. Whatever, it’s not the source or style of income that complicates things. It’s in what one decides to do with the tax issues.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2