It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: To Cyan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

This month, popular topics have included:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18618
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18545
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18558
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17653
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18497
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18449

You really don't care about Uru any more, do you? You must realize that we want to help. Most of us who are skilled in C++ want to help you. You know who we are. We're the same people who create and maintain things like PRPExplorer, PyPRP, and libPlasma. But wait, what's that about outside help? You don't accept it or even see where it is being offered. What do we have to do, parade into Rand's office in the nude to get your attention? Hand us a contract and we will make Uru live again.

If there is no response to any of these topics or an announcement of any sort, then this will be considered direct confirmation that you do not care about Uru any more. If you don't care, then I know I sure as heck don't.

(Note to mods: Yes, this deserves a separate topic. However, yes, I do feel your pain at all of the separate topics on the same issue.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:57 pm 

Its too bad you cant just show them what your capable of, impress them with what you can do, show them the potential. Perhaps even create an age where you can see a small sample of Cyan products and volunteer to do some advertising for them, increase costumer interest. at least this way they may make some doe off of it.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject: Re: To Cyan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
If there is no response to any of these topics or an announcement of any sort, then this will be considered direct confirmation that you do not care about Uru any more.

For those of you who do care, this statement is a perfect example of the logical fallacy that equates the absence of evidence with the evidence of absence. Cyan's lack of response to this or any other topic is evidence for whatever the poster wants it to be, nothing more. Just as Cyan's irregular postings about their latest thinking or intentions is evidence for whatever the reader wants it to be, nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 pm 

Soooooo in other words, It is what you make of it?

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:43 pm 

Ok, let me say that when I made my other posts in the other threads, this isn't what I was trying to inspire. This is the sort of "take it or leave it" demanding ultimatum that has not worked in the past. Frankly it is posts like these that actually go against what we all want. You can't expect to get anything by kicking and screaming.

I understand the intentions here, but I can't support the methods. This is not asking for communication, it is demanding your way, and why would Cyan want to do anything to communicate with us if this is the way we behave?

Please, consider changing your post to something more constructive and positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:48 pm 

While not of the same frame of mind, many of us agree with Adam.

I can understand that all of Cyan's production staff is busy with the MQO project. But surely that does not include the legal counsel. Some type of license to allow use of the MOUL content and define the limits of use, limits to what can be modified and the parts of story to be reserved to Cyan can provided.

That would let several projects move ahead.

Its only 51 days until Winter 2009.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:35 pm 

To elaborate further on show them what you got, if and when Cyan does decide to check out the potential of Uru live you guys who already have it running will have such a high quality safe and secure version of Uru Live running they would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

Then all they hafta do is give you guys the go ahead. Its a win win situation If they give you the go ahead Great, if they don't you did it any way and all its gonna take is time for them to notice how well you've done it............or something like that.

So show um what you can do show them you can do it better and keep it up longer and show them that it will attract attention to their other products

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
So show um what you can do show them you can do it better and keep it up longer and show them that it will attract attention to their other products

So now, we, the awaiting, can advertise?

I'm fairly new here and My Father, you all knew him as Gandhar, God rest his soul, was here way before me. I was 5 years old the first time I saw URU..He was waiting through most the things I only knew as "oh crap" and 'it's down again" and "oh well another year"...I'm comfortable waiting to see what Cyan wants us to do....Lets' not forget what this thing means to the whole of the community. This site has not forgotten about us....Therefore, be more positive...We will see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:15 am 

Charura wrote:
Quote:

So now, we, the awaiting, can advertise?

I'm fairly new here and My Father, you all knew him as Gandhar, God rest his soul, was here way before me. I was 5 years old the first time I saw URU..He was waiting through most the things I only knew as "oh crap" and 'it's down again" and "oh well another year"...I'm comfortable waiting to see what Cyan wants us to do....Lets' not forget what this thing means to the whole of the community. This site has not forgotten about us....Therefore, be more positive...We will see...

Sure why not advertise from Open Source, its originally a Cyan Creation and it could bring in a whole new clientèle who are interested in their other products

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:46 am 
Obduction Backer

...WOW you Myst it my friend...Pop would have said at this juncture...goodnight..see ya tomorrow

Hang in there, all the rest...we willl be back......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh..On another nother nother note...lets really get nasty and tell CYAN to 'pfffffft' . sorry... 'wafting west from ohio'..OMG

You Go Cyan....Thank You From The Bottom Of My Heart For The Five That You Gave Me...... AND then tried to get URU going not once, not twice, but three times...sorry..I',m a Cyan fan...they coudda said you know....but they didn't, and haven't to this day ever given up on us...why? should we give up on them?

MYST
RIVEN
EXILE
REVELATIONS
END OF AGES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:32 am 

First of all, I'm not going to pretend to follow much of the external projects of Cyan, I've now simply resigned myself to just wait and find a definite answer, because I'd prefer to always be reasonable and sit on the fence until one thing ultimately disproves the other, which at this stage hasn't conclusively happened yet. It's also worth pointing out beforehand that what I'm saying is based on little more than my own outlook of dire consequences.

As a number of you are aware I'm also a fan of the Civilization series, another great in the gaming world, whose community is also having to push through a wait-and-see situation over a new game, in this case the suggestion of a fifth recreation of the game. There is, however, a difference between the two companies and the communities they affect.

Here, Cyan appears to be at a complete stand still in communication and progress. In turn the community has a divide in attitudes between the experienced, longing for the better game given in context by the 'recent' messages some period ago, desperate to hear a single word of news over it, and like myself, the new comers, those who have yet to taste and salavate the sensation of the game, not knowing what it once was, living in, I suppose, the bliss of ignorance, keeping a sharp eye and ear to also receive the news. Over time this will cause rifts within this community, if not already, at that is the first step to how Cyan will fall, the faction of those who just can't wait anymore grows, faith will plumet, and the company may have a game without a reasonable fanbase to maintain it. Without trying to make much light of the situation, the ending may well be written at that moment.

By contrast, Firaxis is not dormont, Civilization continues in different avenues, such as the Revolution game platforms and the recently proposed Civilization Network Facebook application, and still to its own name, but it's not what the fans want, It's not Civilization V. In turn a far greater division stirs, this time it's not just whether or not the game is to be considered, but the direction by which the copmany turns to, and that, like most things, generates speculation jeered by growing frustration and want. New questions pop up; Why Facebook? Why not pull resources on creating Civ5? This adds to the fuel to the unrest; Will there be a Civ5? Why haven't they said so or not? Like Uru, Civlization will also encounter rifts, but as I see it these rifts will be more fiery and damaging. With more of the same, Firaxis too will fall, the fanbase slowly revolts as more and more question the activities of Firaxis arise, and the procession of news and the game is hasted to content a dwindling community, it becomes rushed, it becomes rubbish, it becomes very oppressive. The community dies, as does the game, as does the image of the company, and in time the company will follow.

People may argue at this stage that Cyan is taking new avenues to continue the prosperity of the company in the hopes of perhaps Uru Open Source, and I'd agree completely, but this activity is not in the name of Uru, unlike Firaxis and Civilization. I will concede though, and admit to speculate, that Cyan is endevouring to repopulate the diminished community by using Myst rather than Uru. All that aside, my point in the argument is that Cyan actually strikes me to be making the better decision by not producing news where it's not wanted or not warranted. Let us consider the two examples I've posed; the Uru community at the current stage has a general divide on the game proposed to come, the optimists with a presumed lesser understanding of the situation, and the pessimists who complain about an eternal wait of what they really really want, like a kid that's had their lollypop taken. The Civilization community is having to contend with a number of issues in the lead up to Civ5, besides the optimists and pessimists toward Civ5, we have those who are for or against the Revolution series of games and argue the point of putting Civilization on different platforms, and just recently those who are for or against the recent news of the Civilization Network Facebook application, and perhaps more importantly, those who are for or against Facebook. The result here is a greater depreciation of Civilization because it's now a combination of all the opposition of the newer games. The companies both appear to be traveling through the trouble of the public, but it strikes me that it's Firaxis that is closer to reaching the thin ice. Cyan is doing okay considering all aspects, so my suggestion here is to sit tight at allow all things to happen, only when real signs of the rapture appear should we fear for our lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:56 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
This month, popular topics have included:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18618
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18545
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18558
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17653
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18497
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18449

You really don't care about Uru any more, do you? You must realize that we want to help. Most of us who are skilled in C++ want to help you. You know who we are. We're the same people who create and maintain things like PRPExplorer, PyPRP, and libPlasma. But wait, what's that about outside help? You don't accept it or even see where it is being offered. What do we have to do, parade into Rand's office in the nude to get your attention? Hand us a contract and we will make Uru live again.

If there is no response to any of these topics or an announcement of any sort, then this will be considered direct confirmation that you do not care about Uru any more. If you don't care, then I know I sure as heck don't.

(Note to mods: Yes, this deserves a separate topic. However, yes, I do feel your pain at all of the separate topics on the same issue.)

So let me get this straight; If Cyan does not have the time to respond to any of the topics listed, that means they automatically don't care about Uru anymore?

That's totally ridiculous!

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:18 am 

What's ridiculous is that we're all still here, waiting for a silent entity to make a move after so many years, and that people still have hope that something is magically going to happen.

And, yes... I do include myself in this ridicule, although sometimes I really question why I bother hanging around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:49 am 

Quote:
sometimes I really question why I bother hanging around.

You know if you feel that way you can leave, no one is forcing you to stay.

Ask yourself the other way: what keeps you here? the writers? so what good comes in coming over here and saying "I shouldn't be here". If you don't want to be here, stick by the writers.

Now to the original topic...

While we all (except for a numbered few) want communication, non of us thinks that if they don't answer right here they don't care about Uru (except for a numbered few). An answer is needed, but really, AdamJohnso, to me it seems you lost hope in Uru (or opensource Uru for the matter) long time ago (and so did others). So if they tell you "we won't do Uru", what comes out of it? writers will still write. openUru is long dead for many of us anyway.

I think an answer is really needed, but it's not my job demending. If they don't answer I'll wait for the time they will, and encourage it to be soon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next